“Smoke and cheap deodorizer smell”

Fairfield Inn Minot
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Minot
Reviewed December 10, 2007

My husband and I and our 16mth old child stayed at this NON-SMOKING advertised hotel for one night and one night only. The outside of the hotel is very deceiving. It looks to be a modern, well kept property, however, it was far from it. When we got into our room #120, it smelt like cigarette smoke and cheap cologne! We turned on the bathroom fan, opened the window a bit and left the room for a couple of hours for it to air out. When we came back to the room, the awful combination smell was still there, so we went to the front desk and asked to change rooms. Of course, they inform us that they have no other rooms available for the night, but will give us a $20 reduction in rate. In talking with the Front Desk manager, she mentions to us that we should learn for next time that when you book into a non-smoking hotel that you should ask for a room that is not on the main floor and not near an exit door because all the smokers will go to that area outside to smoke and there is a chance that the smoke will come through the heating system. WHAT!!!! We couldn't believe it!!! Call us naive, but we have never heard that before. Apparently the registers in each room are vented individually to the outside, so that when people were smoking outside our room, which was next to the exit door, and the heat in the register would kick in, so would the smoke from the outside. At this point the security guard came with us to our room to put a deodorizer on the register and I asked him if they had complaints like this before, and he said yes, all the time with the main floor rooms that are beside the exit doors. If this is the case, maybe THEY should tell their customers about this issue! When the deodorizer (which I initially thought was the cheap cologne smell) started giving off its not so pleasant smell when the register started, it made it 10 times worse, so out went the deodorizer! What really put me over the edge was about 1/2 hour later (which is now midnight), the security guard is smoking outside our room!!! He may as well have been standing at the end of the bed in our room smoking!! So once again, back to the front desk I go, this time REFUSING to pay for the room at all. The girl at the front desk has now assured me that we will not be charged for our room, but of course does not apologize for anything, and neither does the security guard who has now joined us after his cigarette! In the morning, after only a couple of hours of sleep, my husband went to the Front Desk to check out and make sure that our credit card on file will not be charged for anything, they assured him and give him a $0 receipt, so that would make any human being believe that they were not being charged......wouldn't it! Nope, the friends we were meeting for the weekend had paid for our room when they checked out.....and it was the same girl who I had talked to at 1am, and who my husband talked to! WHAT A SCAM! I would never recommend this hotel to anyone! DO NOT STAY HERE!! However, our holiday was not completly ruined because the next night we stayed at the Sleep Inn.......now this is a GREAT 5* hotel in our mind that we would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed July 18, 2007

Three ladies on a 48 hr shopping trip stayed at this property for $57.00 per night and we were quite satisfied. Rooms were clean, quiet and serviced early the next morning. The breakfast was quite adequate for us and what a bonus since it was included in the room rate. Amanda was a pleasant front desk agent who seemed to be able to multi task very well. We used the pool and hot tub one night and found the whole pool area clean. We would definitely stay here again as just across the parking lot from the Dakota Square Mall and the price was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank farmgrl
Reviewed June 24, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Fairfield in Minot for 5 nights and were a bit disappointed. Our room was only cleaned once during our stay despite the fact that we were out of the room and removed the privacy sign by 11 am each day. Also, upon checking in the toilet was clogged and the bed had all feather pillows when we had requested foam only. The breakfast was good as long as you got there early (before 9 am). The pool looked nice but we did not get a chance to use it. Overall, the room was ok and the property was in fine shape, but the service was poor. Even the front desk was not too concerned with our service issues.

• Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank bjones1
Reviewed November 8, 2006

Excellent property in Minot. Safe, clean, quiet, comfortable. I asked for a quiet top floor room. New style of bedding gets rid of that questionable bed spread and assures one that everything is nice and clean. Nice free breakfast. Lots of free parking. Handy to Dakota Square mall. Staff is very pleasant and helpful. A fine place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smperkin
Reviewed October 1, 2005

Good place to stay in Minot. Walking distance to the biggest mall in town, close to places to eat. Comes with Breakfast, average comapred to other places, but hit the spot on the way to work. I spent a week here, and all went well. Room had a slightly dated feel to it, but worked for a good place to sleep. Had wireless access in the room. Parking lot was small but I was always able to get a good spot. It close to the highway for acces, but rooms were quite, not outside noise problums like at other plases I've been to in the past. All things considered, I think I'll stay here again on my next trip through.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank Melkers
Reviewed July 21, 2005

Hello,
My wife and I recently spent a weekend at the Fairfield Inn. We found the staff to be very accommodating and polite. We started each morning with a waffle and juice provided free at their Breakfast area. The room was very well kept. The pool and hot tub were great.
The location of the hotel was one blook from the shopping centre (Dakota Square), with easy access to highways 2 & 83 and Minot's main through street.
The Check-out bill was ready and delivered to our room, prior to us leaving. We had a great stay with at the Fairfield Inn.
Jim & Lynn from Canada