“Appalling hotel and resort”
Review of Hotel Koral

and 1 more site!
Hotel Koral
London, United Kingdom
“Appalling hotel and resort”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I just returned from a week with my family at this hotel and all I can advise people is do not go near either this hotel or this resort, whatever you do. The hotel staff are rude, inexperienced and arrogant. The management is rude and incompetent. Upon check-in, we were given the wrong room on the wrong side of the hotel, despite being told specifically which room we were booking through the agency. Other highlights include a breakfast that makes one sick, extremely dirty resort during which in the evening I saw a rat as large as a cat (or at least a guinea pig) and unfortunately even the Black Sea is currently dirty due to 6 weeks of very unsettled weather earlier in the summer. You are asked to pay for internet in the room (unusual for Bulgaria), you are asked to pay to use the loungers by the pool (even if you are a hotel guest) and you are even asked to rent a towel from the lifeguard if you use the pool (even if you are a hotel guest). When my wife argued about this, the lifeguard violently snatched the towel from her hands and yelled at her. I have been coming to Bulgaria on visits for 20 years and have honestly never seen this level of rudeness and dirtiness at either a hotel or the beaches. I do not normally write hotel or airline reviews, but wanted to put this into the public domain so that others do not waste their time or money with this hotel or resort as my family has done.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank xkpol a

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We booked this hotel as it advertise as family hotel with lots of stuff for kids- mini club, mini diso, ext- all non existent... mini club wax a tiny room stuffed with few old toys, no mini disvo and the entertainment was a game of football after lunch...
on first night we had to move rooms at 2 am as the music from the club under the hotel was so loud there wad no way we could go sleep.
I have to say the rooms are lovely and the hotel is nice..it has so much potential but it felt like the management just cant b bother and theh stuck in the 1980s.
We booked breakfast which was ok but it was same thing everyday- eggs, tomatoes, cheese, ham, couple of warn bits like pasta ans sausages...as vegi I end up having cheese and tomato sandwich every day...
st Constantine is lovely place but if I go there again I would def choose another hotel. Bulgaria is brilliant and Very cheap. Lots of stuff to do with kids specialy in Varna (witch u take a 10 min bus ride foe £0.40 ).
Beach near hotel is lovely but it does have few stairs.

Room Tip: If you with kids chose one of the hotel complex of grand hotel varna- they brilliant for kids
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank carolineblue
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed December 25, 2013

My stay at the Hotel Koral was my first experience with Bulgaria.
The hotel looks very nice from outside.

After we came we had to wait long for our room. I asked the receptionist whether the room can be ready earlier. She promised us and after 6 hours waiting she gave us the keys.
Frankly we expected a better room. The hotel was not fully booked (not even 50%). I could have asked for a different room but I was afraid I would be given "Hm, sorry, NO answer"

Housekeeping did a great job, spoke Bulgarian, Russian and enough English.

The hotel was so noisy. You could hear everything. It did not seem walls are that thin, though.

Wi-Fi was one big disaster. When you needed to connect I always had to find another place. After three days it worked again but for not more than a quick e-mail without an attachment.
Staff didn't care about guests' wishes and needs. They did not even greet you when you were around reception/ lobby.
I had the feeling that they are somehow enough of foreign tourists.

Sveti Konstantin did not attract me in comparision to Golden Sands or Varna.

I did not enjoy the stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Beerman007

Travelers are raving about these Saints Constantine and Helena hotels

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Just returned from a family holiday in Bulgaria which was really great. The hotel was extremely clean and had all you could wish for. Plenty of sun beds which cost 3 lev when the lifeguard could be bothered to take the money! We had bed and breakfast which was fine, plenty of fruit, cold meat and bread. Don't do all inclusive, there are plenty of cheap nice place to eat in the resort. The entertainment for the children was strange but the pool is really clean, if a bit cool at first.

Room Tip: Go for pool view on first floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank chris m
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Just back from a 2 week holiday in Bulgaria. We were given rooms on the first floor which is the ground floor there with garden views. We had booked rooms with pool view so we did complain and were moved to the 5th floor. Great views and the room had a bath too. Can you believe it the lift broke down and we then had to climb 5 flights of stairs. Good exercise but it took 7 days before lift was fixed. The hotel is clean, bedroom a good size and cleaned every day. Pool area wonderful, very clean and plenty of sunbeds. Breakfast was only average. We went B&B and just about managed to eat something. Coffee and tea were awful. My advice is if you enjoy your coffee and tea take a travel kettle and supplies. That saying you get a decent coffee from pool bar. Hotel is in a great location. Peaceful yet a short walk to the open market and plenty of places to eat. Big plus is that it is cheap. 5 of us ate out every night, with food drinks and cocktails it was only approx. £45 for the 5 of us. The market is brilliant but be warned they do mither you. Visited golden sands, lovely beach and a bit more lively. Varna was ok, lots of run down buildings and lots of beggers but great shops and cafes. Michael is the hotel taxi driver and takes you where ever you want to go. Be warned he's as mad as a hatter but great fun. The weather was fantastic hot but its a dry heat and it does cool down a bit at night. I would go again as its so cheap in Bulgaria. Your money certainly goes a long way.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Trish00706
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Just back from a holiday in Bulgaria, I stayed at the Koral Hotel in St Constantine Varna. Having been to Bulgaria many times this was the best hotel yet. Rooms, Public areas, Pool area, were all very clean. Food was average, but hotel food in Bulgaria is seldom brilliant, my advice is go B&B and eat out at the many cheap restaurants. Ask for a room on the top floor overlooking the pool, these are the best rooms, and book the 3 star package. All in all a good experience. Would I go back. Yes

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rifleman77
UK
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed here 7 nights.

I think I can see why there is a dichotomy of opinion on this hotel.
First the overall review -- which is very positive -- but please also read the stuff at the bottom!

The hotel is well located: although not particularly close to the beach, it's in a quieter area and nowhere is far to walk in this resort. There are many independent places to eat well and cheaply near the hotel, although the hotel food was also very good, if a little "samey" after a few days.
The hotel pool is great, and provided hours of entertainment for the kids. Apparently there's a club under the hotel, but we were never disturbed.
The staff could be a little uncommitted at times, but there was also some very good service -- the kids' animation team were excellent!
The air-conditioned lobby with the bar and the ping-pong tables also kept us occupied for hours.
Overall we had a great time here.

*But* you need to be aware that this is in effect two hotels:
- The new 3-star hotel. This is air-conditioned throughout, and is what you see in the photos.
- The old 2-star annexe. This presumably comprised the hotel in the former communist days.

We started off in the 2-star rooms. Having thought we were getting cheap rooms in a 3-star hotel, this was more than a bit of a disappointment. These are small, old (so old that despite best efforts from the cleaning staff, it is not possible to keep them really clean because of rusting metalwork, damp plaster in the shower etc.), and most importantly if you're here in the summer: they are not air-conditioned. I've stayed in hostels of a better standard.

For a moderate upgrade fee, we were able to move to the new part of the hotel for the last few nights. This was a completely different experience: indeed, the upper floors looked wonderful: light, airy, and modern, with what appeared (from the fire evacuation plan) to be large rooms. Unfortunately we were in two of the smaller rooms on the ground floor -- still a huge step up, but here's the other thing to look out for: the hotel permits pets, and from the smell, we definitely had the Dog Room. The strong smell of dog was with us night and day until the end of our stay.

So yes, we'd stay again, but be much more careful about choice of rooms!

Room Tip: Be very aware of the gulf between the 2-star and 3-star rooms. Try to avoid the pet-owners' roo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family