“Bugs and ants in the room - hotel from hell”
Review of Detelina Hotel

Detelina Hotel
Ranked #75 of 110 Hotels in Golden Sands
Bucharest/Romania
“Bugs and ants in the room - hotel from hell”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

It was the first time I have traveled also with my parents, besides my husband, and unfortunately it was a big disappointment. I have chosen this hotel and, though the reviews were not bad, I hated every minute of the week we have spent there.
We stayed at the first floor in a dirty room with stains all over the place, on carpets, walls and armchairs.
There were bugs and ants in the room, and you couldn’t leave anything out of the fridge.
The cleaning lady was like non existent. We had some food on our terrace (fallen from the upper floors) for the last 3 days. In one of the pictures I attached, the cleaning lady just left our room when I took the photo. She arranged a bit the beds and that’s it.
The bathrooms have only a shower curtain to separate from the rest of the room but nothing else, like o bath tub or something on the floor, so the water from the shower was in all over the bathroom.

The food was awful. Minced meat at every meal, in various forms: sausages, meatballs, hamburgers… the chicken looked moldy, impossible to eat; and this was all the meat in the buffet. Tasteless rice at every meal; some tomatoes or cucumbers, sliced two days before with a sour taste and some jelly as dessert. We had a hard time finding something to eat and we are not picky eaters.

The location of the hotel is in the middle of nowhere. There are like 500 m to the sea, and the problem is that when returning from the beach, you have to walk up hill back to the hotel. In the area there is nothing to do/visit. The only choice for some entertainment is in Golden Sands, which is a few kilometers away.

Also the staff is very rude, not ever smiling or trying to be of service.

So, all in all, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Alexa_ro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My boyfriend & I stayed here for a weeks all inclusive in August 2011
Was approx 45 mins transfer from Varna airport to hotel, checked in quickly, room was on 4th floor with good sea & pool view (there are rooms on the other side of hotel with view of mountain & roads) rooms were clean & spacious, bathroom was clean and a wet room rather than an enclosed shower but was fine
Rooms were cleaned every day & towels were changed once a week
Worse thing about this stay was the food, breakfast was dissapointing, funny tasting sausage, dry bread, but were butter & jams if you toasted it, which also took ages as only 1 toaster to taost 4 slices, add a hotel full off people and its a long wait to get toast. any fruits or salads that were out for breakfast/lunch/dinner tasted of nothing. there was cheese & ham at breakfast but not for lunch
lunch & dinner was stews (even in 30oC heat) which was ALWAYS barely warm!
Drinks were local beers, wines & spirits which were fine, was free access to hot drinks/soft drinks/wine/water/juices (which were tastless) only thing you had to queue for was beer/spirits but service was quick
There are local super markets/small takeaways near hotel down the hill, along with the beach which was very nice. and restuarants at the bottom of the hill (10mins walk)
Pool was clean and filters were cleaned twice a day by the life guard, who was there from 8am-5pm
Overall - hotel was clean but food was poor, probably wouldnt stay again. We didnt venture much out of the local walking area as we went to relax for the week so unable to comment on transportation in the area
There is free wifi on ground floor & 1st floor so take laptop / they do rent them out there
There is free access to a gym by the pool and theres a money exchange shop on site

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Clare499476
Nurmijarvi, Finland
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Tidy hotel, nice garden with green lawn and shelters. Clean pool with children section.
Our room was in 7th floor and no noise from other rooms. Nice sized rooms and okay bathroom. There's only a soap from the hotel and it's small, so bring your own soaps and shampoos.

We had breakfast and for us it was big dissapointment. No fresh orange juice or any other. Undercooked non-salty scrambled eggs and bad sausages. Some kind of bulgarian pastry that wasn't good. Water melon. One type of cerial and müsli. Toast. Only thing we ate were water melon and cookies and we are not picky eaters.

The location of the hotel is not the best you could wish for. There's about 400 m to the beach, which is not very far away, but you have to walk up hill when climing back to the hotel. There are restaurants and mini markets down the street nearby, so you find food and beverages easily and the prices are cheaper than the in Golden Sands resort.

The biggest dissapointment was the staff. They don't know anything about anything. We arrived 10:30 pm on the first night and asked about shops or restaurants that could be open. They didn't know are there any nearby (there's even 1 minimarket open 24/7).

We asked about the bus stops and they could tell us where they are or how much bus cost. There are bus stops to Golden Sands and Varna, but about 400 m from the hotel.

I had looked from the google maps before arriving that there's also a road next to the sea to Golden Sands (bus drives longer route). I asked more information from the hotel reception that can we access the golden sands from there. They said that you can reach the resort only with bus. Anyhow, we tried the road and walked to the Golden Sands... it's about 2 km walk.

The website of the hotel promises shuttle to the beach, there's no such a thing, or the concierge service.

Any information you wanna know, google it before hand. One good thing is that there's free wifi in the lobby so if you bring laptop or some kind of device with internet you can do research there too. Luckyly we had iPod with us and were able to google everything we needed to know.

We ate pizza in the hotel restaurant and that was good, but with few toppings. Bar tender were disaster! We ordered drinks, and were unable to make them, literally, he looked how to make them from a book! And still mine tasted sprite only.

I wouln't stay there again, but if you've already booked a holiday it's okay hotel, if you don't mind about the staff and not very good location.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Cadhlan
Bucharest
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I went to Detelina Hotel this summer, with my boyfriend and some other friends for a week. I must admit that I was a little nervous about this hotel, being a 3 -star one, and the conditions and food there, seeing mostly bad reviews on the internet .
Much to my surprise the hotel was extremely clean, the staff very friendly and helpfull, and the food...great. We had a half board basis, both breakfast and dinner were buffet, and we were all satisfied with it. The dishes were various, every evening the menu changed. Though not all of them were on our taste, anybody could find something to enjoy- from traditional dishes, to salads, fruits, different types of meat, for dessert- fruits.
The hotel has a very big garden, with outdoor bars, near the pool. As for the swimming pool... I never thought I would end up going to the seaside and staying at the pool after all. The sea was quite dirty, with lot of weeds in it...and the water was too deep for me (I mean that after swimming 2 meters I couldn't touch the bottom).. so we preferred the hotel's pool, which was very clean and the water quite warm.
I would recommend this hotel mostly to families in want of peace, calm and to all the others that want to relax, far from the crowd, from the noise.
I stayed in a triple room, which was very large, with a big bathroom and shower, AC, hair- dryer. Another couple stayed in a double room, with sea- view, but the room was much smaller, and the bathroom...so small !!
If you want to have fun you have to go to Golden Sands, 5 km away..where you can find whatever you want...traditional, international restaurants, pubs, bars, discos, karaoke and so on. The taxi is 7 levas one way, and the bus ticket is 2 levas/ person/ 1 way.
What impressed me was the fact that these people really know how to sell their merchandise. Every restaurant had people in the street in order to promote it, making discounts, presenting their offers, menus, giving you free drinks. At a certain point this became a little exhausting...
As for the rates...I found all things quite cheap... the hotel, the food, the parking places.
If you go there by car, you can also visit Varna (10 km away) which is a very nice city, with a beautiful center.
Also, don't miss Nessebar Island (2 hours by car to the South)- it really worth all the way!
All in all, our holiday here was great and I' ll probably return next year too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
#94 of 110 in Golden Sands
Gradina Hotel
Gradina Hotel
#10 of 110 in Golden Sands

Been to Detelina Hotel? Share your experiences!