We had a "Park View" room on the north wing with excellent view, fresh air from the forest, we could see the Sea too. The room, bathroom and balcony are quite big, very well furnished and comfortable. Additional bed was added and the room still felt very roomy.
We took half-board package, and our dinning room was the smaller and much less crowded "La Terraza" restaurant. We passed by the "Hermitage Restaurant" for all-inclusive guests and although being much bigger, it always looked very crowded.
Pool area is excellent - big clean pools, also for babies. sun beds/umbrellas all over, aqua animation (aqua aerobics and games)
There is "kindergarten" - kids aged 4 and up can have great time there, willing to go back the day after. Kids under 4 are welcome too, but parent must stay. There are real squirrels running around!
The food is the weak link of the hotel. Though there is plenty of choice, and most of the dishes are tasty, there are very little alternatives for healthy-food lovers. Some of the plates don't look and taste fresh - it seems they are recycled from the day before. In overall, it almost the same food every day - very little surprise.
The parking is not free and not cheap.
The sunbed and umbrella on the beach are not free (7lv each) - no hotel in the resort has private beach with free umbrella/sunbed.
If you are with pram or stroller - you need to take long detour to reach the beach or the promenade, as the short way is with stairs. Non issue if you plan to use the excellent pool area.
The hotel taxis are about twice more expensive (30lv) than regular taxi service. It is normal, as the drivers have to bribe considerable amount of money only to enter the resort. If you go to the road you can negotiate much cheaper ride to Varna (as low as 10lv). Taxi drivers will be very aggressive in convincing you to take their cab, they will also suggest wrong bus stop location hoping you will miss the bus and take taxi instead, and they don;t care if you are senior citizen or couple with child in stroller.
Using the bus (line 409 to city center, Cathedral, Grand mall) - 3lv per person per direction is fine most of the time - a bit slower, a bit crowded and lacks air conditioning.
We used it for 3 round trips, a couple with child in pram, and it was fine. Ask the conductor to remind you where to get off.
Our local representative suggested using hotel's change as it is honest and good rate and opens 24/7. If you plan to change in the resort, it is indeed good option, we opted to change in the city, at better rates, though the difference is no more than 13lv for each eur 100.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine a place with a unique atmosphere and service where you can relax and enjoy the serenity, the sun and the sea... Imagine a place that will exceed your expectations... Located on a quiet hill and surrounded by a green park, this exquisite luxury hotel offers the tranquility you are longing for. The 5-star resort welcomes you with stylish atmosphere, quality service and refined cuisine. Lounge on the sunniest balconies, relax in the SPA centre or have fun on the beach with the water sports available. Indulge your senses in the 5-star YHI SPA Centre: exclusive high quality massages, therapies and procedures offer a chance to get away from the stress and enjoy the serenity of your vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Travelocity, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Melia Grand Hermitage reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Grand Hermitage Hotel Golden Sands
- Melia Golden Sands
- Melia Hotel Grand Hermitage
- Melia Grand Hermitage Golden Sands, Bulgaria - Varna Province