Most probably one of the best places to stay on the Bulgarian sea cost. My wife and I stayed there in the beginning of the season for around a week and a half thus the hotel and the resort itself hadn't been crowded yet and probably this made our stay much more confortable than usual. The hotel offered real 5-star amenities from the shared areas to the rooms, not leaving much space for improvement. Contrary to our prior expectations for reigning rudeness based on past reviews here, we came across the most kind and hard-working hotel staff we had ever seen. They really made the difference and made our stay very enjoyable. The house-keeping was satisfactory for a 5-star hotel, the shared areas were impeccable, the receptionists were very responsive and attentive, but the most surprising part of all was the kindness and efficiency of the restaurant personnel. Perhaps the main reason for that was the good restaurant supervisors who were really pushing their subordinates to the limit and didn't make any compromises with the serving quality. All tables were cleaned immediately after they were used and no matter what time you arrive at the tables they always seemed as if hadn't been used. What I appreciated most about the staff was that their kindness didn't seem simulated like you are used to see but genuine and sincere.
However, an apparent drawback is the lack of variety of the breakfast. The vegetables didn't look fresh most of the time and the dessert was only compound of fruits and yoghurt. Thankfully, the dinner was much more diverse with theme evenings bringing various traditional meals from different parts of the world and a great variety of tasty pastries.
We'd really like to bring to your attention some issues with the quality of sleep which as a whole was very poor especially for people like us who yearn for rest and prefer sleeping longer in the morning. The doors and walls didn't make a good job in surpassing the loud noises coming from the vacuum-cleaner next door and the occasional manifestations of disrespect of the DoNotDesturb indicator by house-keeping and mini-bar staff didn't help for our morning rest either. But the biggest issue of all was the constant loud noise coming from the air-conditioning throughout the night despite being off all the time which made it impossible to sleep without ear stoppers. Finally, to complete the list of disadvantages, we would add a minor flaw with the TV which was black and white most of the time with except few channels but seemed more like a room issue rather than a general problem but can't tell for sure because we never advised the reception.
It is worth to say a few words about The Level basis which we chose for our stay. Its presence was the main reason to opt for this hotel in the first place over other hotels we were considering. This is kind of unique option which can be combined with any food basis but one that leads the staff to treat you as a VIP. Actually there may be a hundred more VIPs during the climax of the season judging by the size of the The Level restaurant but still it was very affordable and the level of care to the least detail was really worth it and we never regretted our decision. Between some of its benefits were late breakfast which allowed us to skip launch, separate restaurant for The Level guests with live grand piano music at dinners, free afternoon buffet, free mini-bar and a room on one of the highest floors with guaranteed sea view. There are a few more benefits which other people might also find attractive but we didn't make use of like late departure, dedicated pool area and others which I can’t remember.
In a conclusion, as far as we are concerned, a 5-star experience is mostly about how you are treated by the personnel and the level of attention you receive and having this consideration in mind we found Sol Melia Grand Hermitage to be one very well managed hotel which we really enjoyed staying at. As opposed to our prior experience with other hotels on the Bulgarian sea coast, we find the flaws of this hotel bearable and hopefully resolved and it is one we would certainly return to.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine a place with a unique atmosphere and service where you can relax and enjoy the serenity, the sun and the sea... Imagine a place that will exceed your expectations... Located on a quiet hill and surrounded by a green park, this exquisite luxury hotel offers the tranquility you are longing for. The 5-star resort welcomes you with stylish atmosphere, quality service and refined cuisine. Lounge on the sunniest balconies, relax in the SPA centre or have fun on the beach with the water sports available. Indulge your senses in the 5-star YHI SPA Centre: exclusive high quality massages, therapies and procedures offer a chance to get away from the stress and enjoy the serenity of your vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Melia Grand Hermitage reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Grand Hermitage Hotel Golden Sands
- Melia Golden Sands
- Melia Hotel Grand Hermitage
- Melia Grand Hermitage Golden Sands, Bulgaria - Varna Province