“Never "EVER" Again” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Strandzha Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Golden Sands
Strandzha Hotel
Ranked #28 of 40 Golden Sands B&B and Inns
Leeds
“Never "EVER" Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

The Strandzha, Golden Sands Varna 9007.
It took me 3 hours to find this place and I have been to Bulgaria many times and thought I knew m way round, .. No one had heard of the place and we were sent all over Varna trying to find it..
When we got to reception we were greeted with, “ahh you found us then” the guy on reception took copies of our passports and gave key, no indication of where to go or anything, I asked, where the room was, he pointed, past a small bar to corridor and said 3rd floor, we had 4 pieces of luggage and had to take it all to the room without any assistance.
Once in room it was apparent that we had been given the wrong room, I went to explain and was simply told it was that room or nothing..
We ended up with single beds, no view from a balcony you could only stand on, no draw space for clothes, 6 coat hangers for other items and to top it all dirty linen, we lived out of our suitcase…

So my revue for The Strandzha, Golden Sands Varna 9007
This hotel is no more than a overvalued Hostel, it is nowhere close to a 2 star let alone 3.. The room is so cramped you bang your legs trying to manoeuvre round it, the table where the “Ancient” TV stands was propped up with one leg, there is no draws for your smaller items of clothing or anything else, the wardrobe only had 6 coat hangers, the linen was dirty and the pillows were disgusting, I did complain and got nowhere, the guy on reception had little or no interest whatsoever and suggested I told the cleaner tomorrow, when I explained I had ordered a room with double bed and sea view he responded with “no double beds, no room has sea view” (in there advert id said ALL rooms had sea view),the room was dirty and had not seen a vacuum for some time, the wet room (bathroom) was a 7ft x 5ft nightmare, you had to remove everything including the toilet roll just to get a shower otherwise it got soaking wet, I know I didn’t move it the first time I showered, the toilet had constant running water and when you showered it leaked onto the carpet outside the shower (wet room) door, we had to ask each other if we needed to use the toilet before we showered as the whole room was soaking and you could not use it for hours after unless you dried it down after showering, the lights on the wall above the bed are a danger and could seriously cause you damage that would require stitches.

The breakfast,
You had to walk to a separate building to get there.
The food was the same every day, when I asked if I could get toasted bread the response was just a blank stare from the staff, you were limited to something they classed as Ham, Cheese, bread, boiled eggs and Tomatoes, and of course the usual frankfurter, a few things I did not know what they were nor was I prepared to try as it looked disgusting like the thing they said was scrambled egg!!!, the Cereal looked like it had been there since they built the building and the Coffee.. Well, that looked like it came from the sewerage…
The staff..
Well the odd one would try to offer verbal assistance, but none would move from behind the desk.
I always take my own Cappuccino coffee cups when I go away as I like a decent coffee on a morning, but someone decided that they fancied my coffee and took one leaving me short as I took just enough for each morning, when I explained at reception that someone had “stolen” one, I was simply told “our staff do not take things, but we will reimburse you for the missing coffee”, I explained it was not the cost, but the principle of the theft, they had no interest and again said they would reimburse me, I will state that the coffee was the only thing that went missing..
The location of the place…
Well, you need a car, you need to know where you are going and you need a Sat Nav to find it, when you park there is a jobs worth person who constantly puts cones in the place you park so you can’t use the space again, because he wants you to park round the back of building and walk all way back round to front to get in as they will not open the rear doors for entry or exit, but he allows his fellow Bulgarians to park in front…
Would I tell my friends to use this place… not if I wanted them to remain my friends, would I suggest to anyone to use this place.. Well only if they were prepared to put up with Hostel facilities and pay good money for it.. This place is less than 2 stars…You can get much better for the same price somewhere else.
I could add lots more, but the above is an overall opinion.
I will add the "animal life" also needs addressing in the Hotel.. see picture.
Also...
There is NO privacy on the balcony and the very thin Curtains let the light in and do not meet so there is always some part of the window exposed..

I have added pictures, but please forgive my items being in pictures as there was nowhere to store my things..

Room Tip: Use another Hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PeterBat

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

A rather run down looking building built in the 60's / 70's on what was the main coast road (before some parts of it fell in to the sea) now its a fairly quiet wood lined walk in to the main part of Golden Sands which is not unpleasent. Massive amounts of garden around the hotel again looking unloved. Inside the hotel is clean and basic and like stepping back several decades. The tv in our room was all of about 10". However it was clean and functional and a good sleep was had by all. All of the staff we met were very very helpful, we enjoyed 2 very good breakfasts and met a lovely member of staff who looked after us very well in the restaraunt. A bargain rate for a couple of nights stay which was well worth the money, just dont expect many mod cons.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank chappersic
Bucharest, Romania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

The hotel is kind of old and needs some restoration in order to be a decent 3 star hotel. The hotel was long ago in the state's administration and was transferred to a private cooperative that's not able to bring its standards. The halls, bar and reception looks nice but the interior of the rooms are poor. The furniture and painting is old.
Our apartment was clean enough for a short stay.
The location of the hotel is nice for those who want to stay away from the busy and crowded streets of Golden Sands. It has a lot of green space around, a nice park, a swimming pool.
Hotel is around 1km far from Golden Sands resort and in the summer is quite a pleasure to walk to the crowded and noisy heart of the resort and get back to the quiet area later.
The beach is about 500m far from the hotel.
Recommended for older people with low budget.
Youngs should stay in the resort, close to beach, crowd and music, if they want that too.

Room Tip: Try to have a room with a sea view at the highest level.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends