We just got back from a weekend stay at the Doubletree by Hilton, Varna. After comparing prices we decided to go with this hotel just because of the Hilton Brand, thinking it would be a "safe" choice. well- we were wrong.
* Not enough towels, Ever! not in the room (one day they just didn't replace our wet towels!) and NEVER in the pool! at both times we came, once at the end of the day (which made a bit sence, but still) and one at 11 am- there were no towels for the pool! only after arguing a bit with the front desk girls the second time (after they suggested, again, to take our room towels which means we won't be able to shower afterwards- since they never bring you towels on time!) they asked a bell boy to go get a few towels. I'm sorry- couldn't you think of that before? this is a service you provide.
* Food- we took the all inclusive deal. The breakfast was not bad though the bread is always dry and unless you toast it its unedible. Unless you're a big drinker or there with kids, don't go for the all inclusive- the lunch and dinner are really bad, soaking in oil (and dill! whats with that?!) and you can get pretty good meals at restaurants at the golden sands walk for not bad prices. oh- and the chocolate chip cookies are a myth. never any there...
* Pool- the pool is at an ok size, however- not enough tanning beds/chairs ever. Also- the way the hotel is located means that after 14:30 the pool doesn't get any sun and its a bit cold to be outside in the water, or tan for that matter (the hotel sits on a hill and the sun hits its western side facing the road). there is an indoor pool, but swimming after 7 PM is forbidden. Plus- both pools are only 1.30m deep. feels like a kids pool.
* TV-yes, no one goes on vacation to sit in the room and watch tv, and we disregarded the previous complaints in that matter. However- it DOES matter that they only have one working channel in English- the MGM channel. one day that channel wasn't even working (!), kinda sucks when you feel like resting a bit in the room in front of the tv but there's nothing to watch...
A few pluses:
* Rooms- not a bad size. nice balcony with a view though you do have to pay extra for sea view. However- it should be mentioned there are NO BATHTUBS and only a little "shower room" which is weird.
* WIFI- free wifi at the lobby, which sometimes worked at the Helios pool as well.
* Distance to beach- about a 10/15 min walk downhill with a lot of stairs. its not a bad location though there are closer hotels which were cheaper.the way back at night (after 11 pm) is kinda dark so beware...
* All Inclusive- like at any hotel, drinks are free, and this means a lot of their beer. that did ease the pain a bit.
I will say that the workers were at most pleasant and its not their fault that people are disappointed with the hotel, and for a good reason.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree by Hilton™ is the hotel that turns travel into a human experience again. It all starts with a warm chocolate chip cookie, a small touch of our warmth and care for each guest; we provide genuine comfort with our Sweet Dreams® sleep experience and highly-experience staff who are dedicated to helping your stay be the very best. Come see us! We’ll always have a cookie with your name on it ready and waiting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Varna - Golden Sands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Varna - Golden Sands Hotel Golden Sands
- DoubleTree By Hilton Varna - Golden Sands Bulgaria - Varna Province