This was our second time in the Helena Sands Hotel. The hotel itself was as nice as we remembered it from our last year, our room was big as we booked a junior suite, it was clean and airy. We were on half board, both breakfast and dinner choices are the best you will ever see anywhere in the world, tasty and delicious. Even if you find you do not like something, you will find hundred other things to satisfy yourself, which our family did. The only thing is that they do not provide drinking water for the dinner (only for breakfast) or in the room, so you have to buy water for dinner and fetch liters of water from outside to your room, we did it in the evening while having our walk, but it is uncomfortable since you have to carry bottles of water with you. The hotel this size and this expensive should provide drinking water for free, but this is our family’s opinion, which we have expressed to the hotel manager, however I do not believe anything will change. Our big disappointment was the beach. It was bad last year when we visited, but this year was even worse. The first day we went to the beach I was scared to step on the beach or let my daughter play in the sand. Full of garbage, cigarette butts, old papers, even bottles etc. It looked like nobody cleaned it for a year! We complained to the reception and we saw the sand-cleaner tractor in the evening, but that was it. The next day it looked much cleaner, but the tractor never came back, so little by little after few days the beach was as dirty again as it was the first day we arrived. Then there were sunbeds and umbrellas… many of them broken and unusable. The hotel has about 50 sunbeds for 300 people! Forget getting the sunbed and the umbrella in the morning. Although the policy says no reservations with towels, my husband tried to stand up one time around 6 a.m. and went to the beach….almost all of the beds were reserved already! Not sure what time people woke up to reserve those beds. We tried once to fix one of the broken umbrellas without success and saw another man trying to do the same the next day since there are not enough beds for everybody. Guests trying to fix umbrellas and sunbeds ...this is a shame for a five star hotel! This was our seaside vacation and we went there to enjoy the seaside not to just sit in the hotel. The beach part of the vacation was important to our family and it was below of all our expectations….
The pool area was nice but the water in the pool was cold at least for us, although there were some people swimming in the pool. The service in the hotel was good but the situation with the beach and unwillingness to do anything about it from the hotel side left us disappointed and we decided not to come back next year. I am giving this hotel poor for service and value this time because of the situation with the beach area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the Sunny Beach resort area on the Black Sea. 3 to 7-story building and garden villas. Situated directly on the beach. Sun loungers and parasols on the beach (additional charge). In a 14,500 m2 garden together with the Riu Helena Park Hotel. 2.5 km from the centre of Sunny Beach. 28 km from Burgas airport. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Helena Sands Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Helena Sands Hotel
- Helena Sands Hotel Sunny Beach, Burgas Province, Bulgaria