“Best holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 219 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Birmingham
“Best holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was a bit weary after I had booked this holiday, but we arrived to friendly staff and food was available for us unwanted. Our family room was huge and very clean and cleaners left towels made into animals that was a lovely extra touch, which my daughter's couldn't wait to go back to the room to see at the end of the day. The pool was spacious with plenty of sunbeds, which you couldn't leave towels (a bonus). There was a big choice of food, I didn't think it was cold, there is pizzas, omelettes and other food made fresh. We had no problem finding things to eat. Drinks are also on tap. Entertainment team worked hard, there was plenty of games to join in around the pool, they were also very friendly. We had such a good time, we have booked to go back for 10 nights next August.

Room Tip: Go for a middle floor room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank cbec77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just returned from a 3 days mini-vacation in Sunny Beach, BG. The hotel looks nice from outside, also the reception is very nice. The pool zone is beautiful, however you don't get any towels for the sunbeds, so make sure you bring your own. This is quite silly when you have all inclusive.
Anyway, the rooms are BIG, and that's a + for me. The bathrooms are clean and quite beautiful. On the negative side, the balcony is awful, with 2 plastic chairs, all scratched and fragile. Also, the lighting is very poor, mostly in the bathroom. Come on guys, how expensive can a few powerful light bulbs be?!
The room had a nice LCD TV, but only 20-something (local) programs. I don't get a word in Bulgarian, so the TV was useless for me.
The food is ok, but if you're not there first when the restaurant opens, you're most likely out of luck. We were a little late on the second day and when we got there the restaurant was FULL and the food trays empty (why does it take so much time to be replaced?!).
We got some heavy rain on the second day and to our surprise the water was pouring through the restaurant roof, on some of the tables. That's a shame for a 4* hotel.
Another minus for me was the wireless internet. It's simply horrible, there's little to no signal in the room (at least in my room), no signal in the pool area, so you have to sit in the reception area to get online on your device. How much is a router or an AP in Bulgaria?!
If you want to have some fun (other than the swimming pool), you're out of luck. There's table tennis (only ONE table) and billiards (also just one table, and you have to pay for it). Also a small stage outside, where the local entertainers have daily "shows" with music and dancing. And this brings me to my next negative issue: the music is horrible, we had the same tracks every day (I think they only play one CD, over and over), and at really low volume. If you're on the far side of the pool, you can't hear anything. I understand that between some hours there are people sleeping, but come on...even my laptop sounds better and louder than your stage speakers... And that stage was the only place in the hotel where they have music.
One last thing: the bar in the lobby (the only place where you can get a drink in the evening) closes at 11 PM. This is really, really stupid, in my opinion. 10 minutes before closing, the bar gets full, because everyone wants to get one last drink. But who goes in the room at 11 PM?! Why are you closing the bar so early?! At 1 AM the staff was arranging the chairs in the pool area, almost kicking us out (and sending us to the rooms). That's not normal.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a pool view, these are the best.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Alex T
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I spent 6 days at this hotel with my family and friends, during Orthodox Easter. Although check-in was fast, we were told to wait some time because our rooms were not yet ready. The rooms were very clean, spacious and nice, especially the ones with a sea-view balcony that overlooked the pool. The lobby is beautifully decorated, there are 4 lifts (elevators) so you don't have to wait for long, and both pools (interior and exterior) were large and clean, though a bit cold when we visited (May).

So what were the main issues? Sad to say, but the food handling left much to be desired for. The food itself was ok. Nothing special, but varied and tasty (my grandparents got food poisoning for a few days, the rest of us were fine though). However, getting to the food, whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner was a horrible experience. There were crowds forming as soon as the doors opened because of the poor table arrangement. The food was quickly being taken and the trays would stay empty for up to 15 minutes, leaving people waiting with their plates empty (as well as their stomachs). All this time the staff were staring around and not refilling the trays/baskets.

The bar was a little disappointing. During the busiest times, there were only 2 bartenders, who despite their efforts, couldn't handle all the requests and you had to wait 10 minutes for a drink. Also, after I ordered drinks for our group of friends (10 whisky and cokes for 12 people), I was cut off. They just refused to serve us any more drinks, even though it was not closing time, nor was anyone acting disorderly. And from 23:00 on, you couldn't even get some juice or water!!! They just closed the machines. If you offer an all-inclusive package, you cannot put a limit on food and drink - it goes against the principle of ALL-inclusive.

The last straw? On our last day at check-out, we were charged with a surprise parking fee of 8 leva per day. Nowhere does it state that you have to pay for the hotel's own parking space. It's not written anywhere, and I've checked. When asked, the manager kept silent. I don't think a 4* hotel should have hidden fees and such poor food service.

Overall, it was fine, because we tried to laugh about it. If you don't know any better, the hotel is great. Compared to other 4* hotels that offer all-inclusive, it falls short on quality and professionalism.

Room Tip: Sea-view is nicer, and you get morning sunlight.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank marincristina
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was great. Rooms were a nice size and we had a nice balcony with a pool and sea view. Very clean with fresh towels every day if you wished (or could reuse if you wished).
Food was also very good. Great selection for breakfast, along with fresh omelettes, eggs and pancakes cooked to order. Lunch and dinner both fab with theme nights and always some specials cooked to order. Beer wine and soft drinks on tap in the restaurant. Dirty dishes cleared regularly. Lots of traditional Bulgarian dishes along with the Chav staple diet of chips and pasta. So much to choose from 3 fresh salad bars, a large hot food stand and a special stand for children along with a large dessert stand and soup and bread and loads more!
Pool area was great, never struggled to get 4 sunbeds together even though it was the height of summer. It was also very clean with plenty if shaded areas.
Kids club was good although my daughter only used it twice.
Located just a couple of hundred yards from a lovely sandy beach. Beach did get busy and you do pay for the sunbeds but you can sit on the sand behind the sunbeds without charge.
We did a day coach trip to a market and a town which was okay but not great. We got the bus to nessebar a few times, which was lovely. Nessebar is beautiful.
Was a little disappointed with Bulgaria itself. I would have liked to get out and about a bit more.
Free wifi is a nice touch, although only used it a couple of times as I like to leave phones etc at home. the teenagers seemed to like it.
Staff were all excellent and made a real effort, always smiling. Cocktails at the bar were nice and drinks were strong (not watered down!)
All in all I would not return to this hotel as we were not too keen on the resort of Sunny Beach. It's a shame as the hotel was spot on.

• Stayed August 2012
7 Thank Rara1979
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The rooms were very nice and were air conditioned. The maid service was brilliant and the hotel was very very clean. On arrival we were given a room with a fruit basket and a bottle of wine as it was our honeymoon, which was a lovely touch. We were all inclusive and the food and drink were very nice. There were a lot of Germans and the food was generally aimed more towards their taste but there was always something to choose from. The BBQ section outside was brilliant. The pool was very very cold, both the indoor and outdoor but on a hot day it didn't really bother you. Entertainment on a night wasn't excellent but they tried their best. Staff were polite and the spa looked lovely. Would stay here again and would recommend to our friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robyn R
Epworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

There are quite a few negative reviews on here ... in my opinion they are misguided.

I along with 2 pals went at the end of the season in the last week in September. We had 3 single rooms.

This hotel was great - the staff were friendly and if you engaged with them they happily engaged back with you. I had good service with the reception - always helpful and respectful, the currency exchange desk (although to be fair after I had changed some money there I realised that a much better rate was achieved just by using my cash card in the ATM) - however the service was great.

The food - was brilliant. Those people who complain I am sure would complain about anything. The range was vast. The quantity was huge. The restaurant staff were friendly and I really liked the serve yourself beer and cold drink dispencers.

I used the spa whilst I was there and the service there was excellent - Zdaka and her team were very friendly, professional and skilled. Job well done.

The rooms were clean - okay they were tired - the hotel had obviously been around for a while but they were impossible to critisise - they did exactly what they were meant to do - comfortable and clean.

Entertainment - The first night we couldn't believe it - they did indeed mime the songs ... because of this we laughted ... however ... we were wrong to. When you looked properly at the dancing they were very skilled entertainers. I suppose its a difference in culture - inititially we couldn't see past the miming - by the end of the week we were all greatly impressed by the dancing troup - but I would suggest that they just danced rather than mimed !

Overall we really enjoyed this holiday. There were lots of German's there but the hotel had a policy of not allowing towels to be left out ... brilliant ! Worth it just for that !

Even on single room suppliments we did not pay a huge amount for this holiday and when one considers this then I think that this holiday at this hotel was the best that I have had in the last ten years! Certainly on a cost-benefit analysis basis ... it couldn't be beaten.

Well done. Loved it.

Room Tip: Try and get a pool view - the views at the back of the hotel are awful - not the hotels fault . The...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Jonnie A
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Upon arrival the first thing I noticed was that the average age of the guest was around 70-75. Don't let that put you off though. It was a really relaxing place to stay and there were some younger people there.

The room was absolutely massive! In fact we had a whole apartment though we'd only paid for a room. My partner and I didn't even have to share the bathroom - it was great! It was also clean and the cleaner tidied every day but didn't throw anything away (I hate it when they do that!).

Buffet was great, lots of choice and different themed nights. I became addicted to the chocolate mousse and to the pancakes and chocolate sauce for breakfast. Vodka was delicious! In fact we bought back a giant bottle of the 'flirt' vodka that they serve. We discovered all too late (probably just as well for the sake of our waist lines!) the snack hut near the childrens slide towards the front of the hotel. Their pizza and ribs were surprisingly good. Cakes were also tasty in the afternoon.

The hotel entertainment was pretty impressive and the animation team don't harass you like they sometimes do in those places. We headed to the town center on the little train thing and found the nightlife but I cant say it was my kind of thing. Had I been into it it was nice and close though. We were happy to chill with the oldies at the hotel.

One thing I would say is if you're doing some excursions DON'T bother with the safari - it is just a 4 by 4 and a drive around some waste land with a water fight. Not an animal in sight. It was very disappointing!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple