“Great holiday”

Ranked #14 of 221 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Epworth, United Kingdom
“Great holiday”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

There are quite a few negative reviews on here ... in my opinion they are misguided.

I along with 2 pals went at the end of the season in the last week in September. We had 3 single rooms.

This hotel was great - the staff were friendly and if you engaged with them they happily engaged back with you. I had good service with the reception - always helpful and respectful, the currency exchange desk (although to be fair after I had changed some money there I realised that a much better rate was achieved just by using my cash card in the ATM) - however the service was great.

The food - was brilliant. Those people who complain I am sure would complain about anything. The range was vast. The quantity was huge. The restaurant staff were friendly and I really liked the serve yourself beer and cold drink dispencers.

I used the spa whilst I was there and the service there was excellent - Zdaka and her team were very friendly, professional and skilled. Job well done.

The rooms were clean - okay they were tired - the hotel had obviously been around for a while but they were impossible to critisise - they did exactly what they were meant to do - comfortable and clean.

Entertainment - The first night we couldn't believe it - they did indeed mime the songs ... because of this we laughted ... however ... we were wrong to. When you looked properly at the dancing they were very skilled entertainers. I suppose its a difference in culture - inititially we couldn't see past the miming - by the end of the week we were all greatly impressed by the dancing troup - but I would suggest that they just danced rather than mimed !

Overall we really enjoyed this holiday. There were lots of German's there but the hotel had a policy of not allowing towels to be left out ... brilliant ! Worth it just for that !

Even on single room suppliments we did not pay a huge amount for this holiday and when one considers this then I think that this holiday at this hotel was the best that I have had in the last ten years! Certainly on a cost-benefit analysis basis ... it couldn't be beaten.

Well done. Loved it.

Room Tip: Try and get a pool view - the views at the back of the hotel are awful - not the hotels fault . The...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Jonnie A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Upon arrival the first thing I noticed was that the average age of the guest was around 70-75. Don't let that put you off though. It was a really relaxing place to stay and there were some younger people there.

The room was absolutely massive! In fact we had a whole apartment though we'd only paid for a room. My partner and I didn't even have to share the bathroom - it was great! It was also clean and the cleaner tidied every day but didn't throw anything away (I hate it when they do that!).

Buffet was great, lots of choice and different themed nights. I became addicted to the chocolate mousse and to the pancakes and chocolate sauce for breakfast. Vodka was delicious! In fact we bought back a giant bottle of the 'flirt' vodka that they serve. We discovered all too late (probably just as well for the sake of our waist lines!) the snack hut near the childrens slide towards the front of the hotel. Their pizza and ribs were surprisingly good. Cakes were also tasty in the afternoon.

The hotel entertainment was pretty impressive and the animation team don't harass you like they sometimes do in those places. We headed to the town center on the little train thing and found the nightlife but I cant say it was my kind of thing. Had I been into it it was nice and close though. We were happy to chill with the oldies at the hotel.

One thing I would say is if you're doing some excursions DON'T bother with the safari - it is just a 4 by 4 and a drive around some waste land with a water fight. Not an animal in sight. It was very disappointing!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Blondie86186338
Newcastle
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Myself and three friends (aged 20-23) stayed here May 28th - 4th June 2012. We arrived in the middle of the night to a very pleasant receptionist who dealt with us very quickly and we were offered some food from the buffet! Very nice after a long flight!
Our rooms were huge! They were both spotlessly clean and well presented. There is a safe in the room which you can hire for a small cost. A man from reception came and helped us set it up (he even turned around when we were putting our pin in). The maids come every day and ours was lovely, we accidentally one day left a camera and money on the side which was untouched when we got back. You get fresh towels every day and even a lovely animal made from towels on your bed and sweets!

Onto the food:
Overall the food was nice and there is a large variety. It does cater more towards continental guests but definitely plenty for English people to eat and to try! I am quite a picky eater but I certainly never went hungry. Outside there is a serving station where you can have stir fry, pancakes, freshly made pizza etc made to order which was lovely. The food changes each night and even has themed night. The service of the waiters to collect plates was quite fast and the man who welcomed you into the restaurant was absolutely lovely and even remembered our room number! Made you feel extremely welcome!
Downside to the food though, was that it wasn't always labelled - so maybe take care if you have any food allergies. The kids section to food was very nice.

There was a HUGE variety of alcohol included in your all inclusive - loads and loads of cocktails. The measures were huge - they certainly do not scrimp on the alcohol. There was never a particularly long queue in the bar to be served, and you can get more than 1 drink at a time (unlike some other all inclusive hotels.)

The pool was amazing - although very cold water! It was refreshing after a day in the sun however. It is very large and had plenty of room for everyone at the hotel. There is plenty of sun loungers at the hotel. There is a spa at the hotel, and various games were taking place there so something for everyone to keep you entertained. The pool area was also spotless- as is the whole hotel. The staff also walk around and chat to you to make sure you are having a really good holiday.

In a very good location - about 10 mins walk away from the main strip and 5 from the beach. There is a little street train outside the hotel that takes you up to the strip for a small price (about 2 lev) or there are taxis - but agree a price before you get in!
Bulgaria as a whole was lovely thought people were very nice (although they do not barter in the shops hardly at all) it is extremely cheap we got 4 cocktails for 10lev which is about £4. We went on a bar crawl with the Party Crew which was very fun!

Our rep Antony was lovely he was very friendly and went out of our way to make sure we had a fantastic holiday!

Some reception staff dont have a fantastic level of English, but there is usually another member of staff who can assist you if you need help.
On our last day we didn't fly till the night time but there was a safe room where we could store our cases and even a room you could book a slot to get a shower and get changed for no extra cost!
Overall a lovely hotel - couldn't fault it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank Danielle O
falkirk scotland
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I would like to say that this hotel was first clas it was our first visit to Bulgaria the staff were excellent food great plenty of choice nothing was a bother o anyof them, we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and they went out of their way to make it special for us , maid service excellent room very clean maid cae in every day ovely woman alway had a smile for us
we also met some great peole we are still in touch with them and we have all promised to meet up in this hotel again we stayed for ten days between june and july and cant wait to return
all in all first class anyone who says that they did,nt enjoy themselves we cant thik why also the holiday rep peter was great he recommended a nght out at khan,s tent it was fab

Room Tip: we stayed on the fourth floor overlooking pool area lovely
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Eileen R
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed here for a week frm 21st-29th sept 12. We arrived early morning, was checked in very quickly by lovely reception staff. Our room was plenty big enough for both of us and very clean (maids will come in everyday if you want them to) each time our room was cleaned she would make animals with the towels which was a nice touch. Pool was huge and really nice, we didnt use the other one with the slides, or the indoor which was pretty small. Staff in the restaurant were very polite. One of the biggest downfalls was that there were alot of germans at this hotel (not that i have anything against them) but obviously because of that meal times were very much geared towards them vast majority of the time, but there wwas always plenty of choice and the bbq areas outside were always cooking fresh stuff and there was desserts galour so that made up for it. The only other downside is how far from the centre it is when it was booked we were told it was alot closer but even still it was only a 10-20 min walk. If you say here your 2mins from the bus stop have a trip to old nessebar its only 1lev each way and is beautiful with lots of shops and good places to each if you go there try 'uncle georges grill bar' if your in the centre go to 'Hawaii bar' the food there is gorgous and cheap, drinks are cheap everywhere. Avoid wearing football shirts if u go in football season u'll get hounded to death my partner by the end of the week he had, had enough. All in all this was a great holiday the hotel was really good other than those couple of things and the weather was glorious everyday would definatly go back!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank gemmalou88
Rhondda, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Me ,my partner and our 18 yr old son ,and 68 yr old father arrived at the hotel at 1 in the morning..We walked into a spotless reception and was greeted by the receptionist and bellboy...There was a passed out guest already laying on a lounge sofa ..At a 4* this was not a very professional image..
Weather was poor for the first 3 days then was fantastic for the following 11.

We was told we could go into the restaurant to have refreshments, which consisted off a lager pump , wine barrell, juices and tee , coffee , hot chocolate, , fanta, pepsi... Obviously that time of the morning there was not hot food , but there was bread , cheese, sliced meat and fruit left out to help ourselves too.

We went up to our rooms which was large comfortable and spotlessly clean...The bathroom was in marble and had a hair dryer and shaving point on the wall.The shower was huge and could easily take 2 people at the same time lol:P The bed's was comfortable and extra pillows and duvet was in the spacious wardrobe.There is a safe in your room which you can rent for 27 levs per week .I would strongly advise this .The television was just a very old fashioned portable and there was only 1 English channel that was months behind Great Britain.There was a small built in fridge that comes in handy to store shop bought items you may fancy ..
We had asked for a lower floor balcony with a sea view .But was on the first floor and the view from our balcony was the sand dunes , so ask for at least 3rd or 4th floor because the views are amazing and just a few mins walk across to the beautiful white beach and crystal clear sea.
Our view was still lovely overlooking the pool , bar and entertainment area.Rooms are lovely except if your next door guest is noisy , you can actually hear them if you are in the bathroom .Towels are replaced daily if you leave them on the floor.The maid left clean towels everyday and shaped into beautiful creations every couple days.Bedding was cleaned around every 3 to 4 days.The rooms was kept spotless by the overworked quite eldery cleaners.No matter what time you looked out of your balcony , a maid would be cleaning somewhere ..

Food was in abundance and plenty of choice ,There was breakfast in 2 separate cooking stations , outside and in.Also a snack bar out by the pool slides, all though as we was in the end of the season sometimes food was not always replaced, for your variety when it run out.Food was most of the time luke warm which spoilt the abundance of well presented food,Although there was microwaves ! who wants to have to warm up their food every meal time ? Plenty to choose from at breakfast , lunch and dinner .Although they do catAlso icecream.
The pool was absolutley freezing and was not for the faint hearted !So was the indoor pool.
Some staff was quite rude and did not acknowledge you when you thanked them.They seemed bored and overworked.But some of the staff was lovely.
They have a shop just off reception but there are plenty of mini supermarkets cheaper within a few mins walking distance.
Alcohol was in huge abundance of local farmed spirits wine and lager.

We had been there about 4 nights to be kept awake at 2 in the morning by the staff having their own party back in the staff quarters which lay just behind our rooms.The noise was louder than having a next door neighbour have a Rave out in the garden..If we went out to the balcony the noise virtually dissapeared .But back laying on the bed was a 7 out of 10 for noise loudness.When I phoned and asked where this noise was coming from I was told they did not know :( Obviously after another hour of this I made my partner go down to lobby and search where this was happening,when he told them what he discovered they seemed to give a reluctant sorry .The Noise continued for another 30 mins then died down. No apoligies was given or explanation why this fiasco was allowed to happen

Entertainment was shockingly boring .The games through the day was fun , Bowl, darts, Rifle shooting etc. But 1 hr of entertainment in the night was just the staff miming to karaoke tracks and dancing ..Very poor ! We went out most nights , its very cheap to eat and drink out , everywhere does buy 1 get 1 free on the cocktails .Most places dont liven up till midnight on and every other pub has karaoke .These stay lively till about 4 in the morning.Though the friendliest is The Piccadilly bar opposite the corner pub.
Overall this hotel is spotless, Poor entertainment and lukewarm food lets it down .But if these improvements were met then yes I would return to this hotel.

1.Staff needs training in treating all guests with the same respect , not just their favourite nationality And to be able to understand what all guests want !
2.Entertainment should be real singing not miming ,and catered more for the adults not the children !
3.And food should be boiling hot at all times not when just cooked and left on a lukewarm hotplate.
4.When complaints are made they should be treated with respect and not brushed under the carpet .A 4* should have the decency to give out free vouchers for the beauty parlour , spa or bar for the non free drinks.

Room Tip: Have a 4 th floor to get the best sea view and ask for a view over the pool and entertainment area...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 976TERGAR
Redcar
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This Hotel is not the usual standard of Iberostar, have stayed in many different parts of the world and always been happy so I booked this hotel as thought was a safe bet.
We stayed 15th Sept-24th Sept. From the moment we arrived we were never made welcome in Bulgaria, we were told constantly it was the end of the season even from the Rep (he went home before our holiday was finished still flights coming in) The Bulgarians were very rude never smiled in the hotel and outside of the hotel we were told this the way they were. They do not deserve our tourism.
The negatives, Food bland not much variety got worse as the holiday went on, Got stomach upset & so did many others that stayed at this hotel.
The positives, we had large room was kept lovely through out or stay, Good poolside and plenty of sunloungers although pool was freezing and also the indoor as was not heated. Also a policy that if you try to reserve sunbeds towels are removed I totally agree with this as it extremely selfish and no need to reserve, as plenty of sunbeds.
Nesebar was really nice worth trip on the bus and the beach was good too.
The weather was mixed and unsettled but we got 5 good days out of 10days, I think July & August are best time to visiting Bulgaria if you want some decent weather not that I will be going back. I have done alot of travelling and have been places when the weather hasn't be good or maybe hotel but we have still had a good time. We struggle with this holiday I couldn't wait to get home, this has to be the worse holiday I have ever been on.

Room Tip: Worth seaview room others are view of shops or street
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CaribbeanGirlRedcar
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Tiara Beach, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear guest,

We thank you for taking the time and effort to write your opinion on your recent stay in Tripadvisor. Your review helps us to know how we can still improve the experience of our guests and to us that is of prime importance. We empathize with you and we understand your frustration as you mentioned that you have already encountered the authentic Iberostar experience, and therefore you awaited your stay with high expectations. We would be delighted if you give us another opportunity to confirm that at Iberostar we do know how to facilitate an unforgettable vacation.

In additions we took good note of your remarks related to our culinary offer and we feel sad about your disappointed. The gastronomy is one of the pillars of our chain and we can assure you that it is essential for us that our customers enjoy our cuisine. For this reason, Iberostar is reinvented year after year, improving facilities and renewing our hotels with themed restaurants, special effects for the buffet, Show Cooking, etc. We have passed your constructive critics to the head of the department and we are checking the protocols in order to guarantee the compliance of our demanding quality standards. Even so, we would like to mention that currently we only work with professional chefs of great recognition that use only top quality products.

Regarding our staff we assure you that we choose and school them to cover as many languages as possible as we understand that good communication and service orientation are of prime importance to achieve maximum customer satisfaction, and we are sorry that on this occasion their performance did not meet your expectations. We will continue our efforts to choose all staff members according to a specific profile and additionally give them appropriate training as also to periodically organize briefings and courses in order to raise awareness and adjust attitudes so that our clients are treated the way they deserve.

Further, we thank you for highlighting the good size, comfort and cleanliness of our rooms, as also the cozy pool area, we find it most important that our guests feel well installed during their stay and when we hear the accommodation and house rules could fulfill your expectations we feel grateful.

We hope you had a nice journey back home, and we hope to may take the opportunity to serve you again and cause an excellent and lasting impression, through our high quality service and the fulfillment of our Iberostar hotel standards.

Faithfully yours,