“Ignore Bad Reviews!”
Review of Hotel Sunset

Hotel Sunset
Ranked #177 of 222 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I'm still only half way through my stay at he Sunset Hotel and felt compelled to write a review after listening to English people complaining to our rep (very rudely I hasten to add). I would say that this hotel is a very good 3 star. We arrived at ridiculous o'clock and were given a sandwich a piece of fruit and a bottle of water. I have stayed in 4 and 5 star and never had his. The room is spacious and clean, the bed is a little soft but short of stocking various mattresses to suit everyone what can a hotel do? The food for breakfast is good, just right for eating not piping hot but that has been the case everywhere we have been. We haven't struggled to eat at all, the bacon is like gammon and the sausages are like frankfurters but we aren't in Blackpool! The staff are friendly and courteous, and the beer is cheap. The hotel is about 45 mins walk from sunny beach flower street but the bus stop is right across the road (catch number 5 or 8 for 2 lev). We are having a wonderful time, it's just that some people go on holiday looking for things to complain about .... To those people .... Stay at home!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ClaireKgh

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at the sunset from 16-23 August 2013, on arrival at reception we were greeted and shown to the lift by a young man, no room for 4 of us in the lift, by the time we got to the 3rd floor he was waiting for us to help with the cases and showed us to our room. Room was a nice size, clean, carpets and wallpaper, unusual we thought but nice, also a small fridge (come to that in a sec) at no extra cost, decent size bathroom, with shower, toilet, sink and my wife's fave.... hairdryer. We stayed B&B, but did eat lunch on a couple of occasions, and was around £2.80 for kids and £6.00 for adults, which was good value for what you could get. Pool area was decent size, and very clean, no fighting for sunbeds. Breakfast was really well stocked, plenty to choose from, bread, with a toaster, orange juice, cereals, bacon, sausage, eggs fried and scrambled, fresh fruit, and plenty of hams etc, if you want a full English breakfast, simple...stay in the UK. Tried many places to eat and by far the best place was the Palace...the place with the gazebo's, service slow but food was amazing, staff were really friendly, kept our table for us every night. Met a couple who suggested the Steak House & Friends....................we looked at this the night before and thought not for me, and went back to the palace, excellent meal (as usual), next night went to this steak house, as was recommended, possibly the worst meal (and most expensive) I have ever had, my daughter complained of feeling ill within an hour, my wife was really ill later on that night, I had to show off and ended up in hospital when got back to the UK with severe food poisioning, basically STAY AWAY!!! Right up until this point we had a fantastic holiday, but this might have put me off of going back. The resort itself is really nice, the Kebabs, jacket potatoes and pancakes on the beach front are amazing, cooked properly and really tasty, perfect for lunch. The price of the beers fluctuate, depending wether you are eating or not in the local bars, back to the fridge, when you take your key out the fridge goes off, so do what the wife did and improvise, staff don't stop you from bringing in your own drinks to put in the fridge, when leaving was given a bottle of water a sandwich and a banana, point to make, drink the water as security at the airport will take it off you, in a whole was an enjoyable holiday apart from the end result, only 1 other point, resort is really windy, and can get quite cold on a night, so take a long sleeve top (or buy one)

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be nice, east facing rooms have a big tree to block your view, but can watch the t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Clive C
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have just returned from a 10 night stay bed and breakfast (23rd Aug - 2nd sept) and I have to say after 10 years of going abroad this was my worst holiday by far! ARRIVAL we were given a key pointed to the lift and left to go to our room, other guests were shown to there room ad there luggage taken for them I feel we were treated differently because we were British.
ROOM the beds were soft they dipped in middle the mattress cover was just a sheet placed over the mattress it was to small for the bed, the pillows were shocking to say the least they were lumpy and old. the mold in the shower was disgusting and it smelled pretty bad the shower was never cleaned our whole stay, the balcony was small and the furniture was questionable. The curtains was ripped and having to pay 50 Lev for the safety deposit box was just unbelievable.
BREAKFAST the selection of food was random cold fried eggs hot dogs as sausages and what I can only guess was some sort of chopped up bacon, my boyfriend and had toast for 10 days not great!! Fruit was brown lots of it looked unpleasant. `English breakfast` sorry there was no such thing. The hotel did not cater for British. The staff were not in uniform and were constantly on the mobile phones nobody was professional at all. And having to clear your own plates? Really??
POOL beds were broken and looked disgusting well worn and didn't look clean at all and the music was so loud we had to go to the beach everyday.

We contacted our rep about these issues and we were shown two other rooms but they all had the same problems

All I expected from this hotel was to have good basic standard, unfortunately this was not the case!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nic25kev
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Sunset from the 18 - 25 August 2013, this was our first hotel holiday abroad so was unsure what to expect and we had decided to go all inclusive. When shown to our room on arrival we realised there had been a mistake as we had paid an extra supplement for a family room which on Balkern's website it states that this means a separate bedroom and lounge, we had a room with a very small put out sofa bed for my very tall son! We took this up with reception and after she recommended speaking to our rep (who was in the hotel every day at 6 apart from Wednesdays) and straight away this was sorted out, we ended up with a room that had a mezzanine level which was huge!! not sure if this was their 'family' room but either way we were very pleased! We didnt eat out on any nights that we were there as it seemed pointless when the food in the hotel was excellent! For the first couple of nights we would go down to dinner when it first started as we had seen how some of the guests would clear trays of food (specially at sweety time!) but we soon realised that the staff would continue to bring out dishes/cakes so you didnt feel like you had missed out. The breakfast had a good choice from toast and cereal to english breakfast and cold meats. I always felt that there was plenty to choose from at lunch time and dinner, if you dont like something then just dont eat it!!! I felt that trying to learn a few bulgarian words seem to go down well with the staff even though it probably sounded funny to them (cant roll my rrs like they do!) I could go on but the jist of it is that if you want stay in a small hotel with a personal touch from lovely staff then you have just got to go here. Felt like ive left many friends behind cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Joanne H
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We are a family of four (boys aged 13 & 10) from Kinross in Scotlaqnd and we were delighted with the service and hospitality we received from all the staff and management at Hotel Sunset - (special mention to Valeria, George, Pawel and Ventislaw).

We stayed for 10 nights (19-29 July 2013) bed and breakfast - breakfast selection would cater for all tastes i.e. traditional british(bacon egg etc,), cereals, cold salad & cheese, pastries and pancakes.

Rooms were cleaned daily and were always presentable - air conditioning was a welcome respite from the heat at poolside.

We ate out most nights (recommend the windmill -about 200 yds away) but had two fantastic meals at the Sunset (from restaurant menu - as we weren't all inclusive) Food was really good, plentiful and the attention of the staff was faultless.

It was my wife's birthday on the 28th and during our meal Valeria presented us with a bottle of champagne for the table and a bouquet of flowers for my wife.

To sum up - Lovely people and great location - will be back

P.S. I have noticed some comments regarding rudeness of staff (or Bulgarians generally) - this may be due to the Bulgarian custom of head movements for 'yes' & 'no' - i.e. shake means yes and nod means no - honestly.

Gerry, Kirsten, Sean and Charlie

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gerrykeegan
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Me and my boyfrien recently got back from Hotel Sunset. I want to share our inpressions. Everything is very beautiful and quiet, the staff is always smiling and always willing to help when needed. Incredibly clean and quite place that is worth to visit. I look to the next vacation to come back...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Zuzinka668
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very quiet which is what we were looking for. Rooms were cleaned daily. The corners of the shower could have done with re-grouting, but apart from that the hotel was lovely. The location of the hotel was a short walk to the beach & bars & restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2013