“I was 'Wela' impressed.... (sorry)”
Review of Wela Hotel

Wela Hotel
Ranked #46 of 221 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Party of ten boys between 18 and 20 stayed for 11 nights. I don't know why this place gets such bad reviews I really liked it. I wasn't expecting anything great after reading the reviews on some sites but I was pleasantly surprised. I was dreading going for the food but to my delight the food was excellent. There was a large buffet of all different dishes with rice chips and pasta served with every meal, (one of my friends genuinely ate rice chips and pasta for every meal, in fact I lie I saw him eat bread one day too) every day lunch and dinner the options were all different with lasagne moussaka spaghetti bolognaisse chicken chops (nuggets) beef pork kebabs and chicken in sauces and two soups which were always different. So after much trepidation about the food it turned out to be terrific. The entertainment in the hotel was actually quite good, the staff were all really good anyway they were always doing pool games or water aerobics or football/volleyball etc. The football pitch isn't exactly an arena to host the spectacle that was our footballing skills but I played on it bare foot most days and I was fine. Perhaps I'm a tank? I strongly recommend the "crazy jack*ss games" on a Saturday night in the hotel, I drank a pint glass of vodka rum mastika pineapple juice olive oil brandy and an egg. I thoroughly enjoyed it and one of my friends even stated that it was the "best night of his life" although I wouldn't go that far. The outdoor all inclusive bar was where I spent most of my time. We ended up best friends with the bar staff there and we hung about with them trading stories about one anothers countries and cultures and one of them shed a tear when we left. I miss you vlad. There was also amazing pizza fired out from that bar in the afternoons it was in high demand and one day when it was late it almost sparked a riot from the hungry army of large bellied Brits demanding their pizza and one small girl even ripped the barmans top. The room was very good but the cleaners weren't. I was convinced one of them wanted to fight us but then our room was quite a mess, we even turned it into a nightclub at one point. They did try the towel scam on us as Graeme said below but he just point blank refused to pay and the mousey manager gave up. Would definitely recommend the Wela there's all sorts of people that stay there like families, older people and young partyers but that's no problem as everyone does their own thing. Sunny beach as a place was amazing I loved it and would definitely go back. It's still relatively cheap aswell although two of my friends paid 40 lev for a plum (they were mugged so watch out, although the mugger did give change as one of them only had a 50 note which was helpful... I know, you couldn't write it) but I felt safe the whole time. Oh and there's always healfy tunes playing out at the pool. Ask for Bilo and Krum in the hotel restaurant they'll make your stay much more enjoyable aswell. it's just a short walk to the beach, prom and the strip (flower street) think that's about everything now definitely recommend it,
Kind regards
Lee Edward Robert William Ballantyne

11  Thank Leebhoy93
There are newer reviews for Wela Hotel

Reviewed August 1, 2011

Had a great time in the hotel wela although when we were leaving the receptionist tried charging me for 3 missing towels. These towels which the cleaners had taking on the Tuesday and didn't come back to clean the room and we left on the Friday. I had to use my beach towel coming out the shower. So at reception when checking out they tried charging me 40 lev per towel but we point blank refused to pay for the alleged missing towels which they claimed were in our suit case. So beware about the towel scam. Other than that it was really good.

2  Thank GraemeRFC
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Just arrived back from 2 weeks all inclusive. Travelling with my husband and stepson. Had a great holiday. We were on the 4th Floor corner room overlooking the pool. Nice spacious room. Our cleaner was lovely and came in every day, changed towels when requested and bed change once a week. We all enjoyed the food. It was always hot and plenty of choice. We had no problems with getting served although there was quite often a queue at the bar in reception. We tended to use the bar in the restaurant as you get glasses rather than plastic cups. Still can't get my head around a cocktail served in a plastic cup and would rather not bother. Enjoyed the local beer that was served and plenty of G&T. The hotel was mainly full of Polish and Slovakian guests and yes as usual people leave their towels out on the sunloungers overnight. To be honest though the better place to lounge is at the side of the hotel on the grass because you can move the loungers around easier. A few groups of girls and boys (Brits) mainly fine but occasionally got a bit loud after a few too many cocktails and beer through the day in the heat. Pool was often busy. Although we didn't really get involved with the entertainment people we thought they were good and would laugh at some of the things that they would do and say. They seemed to be doing things regularly with both adults and kids. We thought the hotel was ideally located as it would take us 5 minutes to walk to the promenade/beach and then walking left along the prom there was some lovely beach bars. If you walk to the right on the prom you get into the madness of really busy bars offering free shots. All in all for what we paid it was excellent value for money!!!

Room Tip: 401. Lovely room. Spacious and overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank Gilly026
Reviewed July 22, 2011

This hotel is pretty good and what you would expect for the money. The rooms are fairly large and pretty clean if you exclude the cleaners malting everywhere. We came as a group of 4 mid 20's guys and found there were a mix of couples, groups and families. There were also people from all round europe in this hotel so if you want a wholey british holiday this isnt the hotel for you. The polish lads next door were up drinking some rough vodka til the early hours on their balcony. As for the food it was mostly eddible, however avoid the snowgirl if you dont like looking at your bathroom! The europeans love it however its not for the british stomach! I hope you also like rice, brocolli and chips because for lunch and dinner EVERYDAY. Oh yeah and watch out european kids licking the surving spoons in the all you can eat ice cream. Yum spitty! They do parma violet ice cream which is unusual but nice. Once have you nearly finished your meal your plate will be snatched from under your nose and you will be left chewing your mouthful with your last chip remainig on your fork and your bread roll in your other hand. The bar is staffed by one fit but pretty miserable girl whose face might crack if she ever was to smile. Use the lift at your peril, dont expect to walk out at your floor, you have to crawl out as it stops between floors. One ladies suitcase was so large she had to unpack it to get it out the lift. Luckily she had packed some nice undies. As for night bar dont bother if you want to feel valued as part of the human race. The pool is packed everyday and if you want a sun lounger make sure you park your towel down there on arrival. There is quite possibly the most annoying person ever born who talks rubbish all day and night full blast on a microphone all day. You can recognise him by his yellow hat, irritating voice, dirty looks he gets from everyone and the snipers dot on the back of his head. Round the corner is an outside cinema, highly recommended, cheap as well. The fat cat bar is good for cheap drinking. Food everywhere is fairly basic, poor compared to the rest of europe. I havent had a cooked egg the whole holiday anywhere. I like mine runny but not raw. At first my friend thought it might be human liquid of some sort. On the whole though a good holiday, easier to moan than remember the good. Although the hotel has some bad bits all hotels do out this way. Its not cancun or paris. This holiday was funny, the hotel was comfortable and we all had a good time. Thats what its all about

3  Thank RodneyMHarb
Reviewed July 18, 2011

My wife and I, in our 50s returned today from two weeks at the Wela Hotel.

We were a bit apprehensive as had read much about this hotel - and not all good.

From our point of view, the hotel is ideally placed on the peripheral of everything but well within walking distance of all activities.

We found the staff very friendly and helpful and a good grasp of English.

The food was edible but repetitive with very little change from day to day.

They class the hotel as a 4 star, but at best I would say an average 3 star holiday hotel. There is also a known problem for overbooking the hotel. It's certainly safer if you've booked with Thomas Cook who've argued this with the management and warned they would not recommend the hotel if it happened to any TC clients.

The hotel accommodates families, couples, single guys/gals.

Room Tip: We were in room 423 which was a large spacious room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Hearts1998
Reviewed July 18, 2011

There are some decent points to the wela but also some bad ones.
First i'll start with the good... The room was clean and cleaned regularly; the free drinks were nice; some of the staff were quite friendly!
Now for the bad: the food was dreadful! Now i'm not the type of person who only wants to eat burger and chips when i'm on holiday, but the food that was on offer here was aweful. Very dodgy salds, either overcooked or uncooked meats and even the chips were not cooked properly!
Secondly our toilet never wanted to flush properly which resulted in a blockage causing an inch of water to flood roughly half of the bedroom carpet! When we informed the reception the guy didnt seem too fussed, and said there was no other rooms so if we could sleep there we would have to.. eventually a maid came and hoovered it up!
Thirdly the aircon never seemed to be doing anythjng resulting in a very smelly room!
And fourthly the locations is a good 25 minute walk away from the main strip, meaning at least an hour on the return leg home in the early hours!

I would not reccommend this hotel, as i believe there are plenty of better hotels in sunny beach!

1  Thank mct99
Reviewed July 12, 2011

stayed at this hotel with my husband and two children aged 14 and 11 on a all inclusive basis what a waste of money that was as no kids section at meals times so if they didnt eat what we did they starved also no ice cream and the snacks during the day were pizza and chips every single day the restaurant food was not much better if u liked chicken salad and burnt chops then u were fine also what was on offer at lunch was then put on for dinner.

This hotel is defo not for families as it is full of groups of young guys and girls out to get very drunk and lark about at the pool

On the subject of the bar that was also a joke as was to small and had only 1 member of staff behind the bar at one time so every night had to queue for drinks and was only allowed two drinks per person.

The only good thing about this hotel was the location and the rooms were clean and quite big

So my advice is dont go all inclusive in this hotel as it is a waste of money and defo not for familes.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family