First things first, this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. My partner and I stayed here recently for 2 weeks and regretted it almost immediately. First impressions of the hotel were good, the building itself was quite impressive, but thats where the good points end. Our first week in the hotel was relatively without incident apart from the terrible food. Most nights we avoided the free for all buffet by going to the local retaurants where the food was also somewhat disapointing but better than the slop served in the hotel! MacDonalds became our staple diet before long as at least you know what you're getting.
Forget about getting a sun lounger beside the pool unless you're prepared to get up at 6.30 in the morning. There are about 100 loungers for a hotel catering for thousands! Most days we just went to the beach. There was no entertainment at night in the hotel except a piano player who wasn't very good. Staff were all moody and extremely rude on every occasion we had to deal with them, and the lobby always had a number of large men in suits hanging around the place (have a guess who they were!), who stared at everyone who passed by which was somewhat intimidating.
The room was below average. The "double bed" was 2 single beds pushed together and not even dressed as a double. Fresh towels were sporadically provided every couple of days and the shower was barely functioning.
At the end of the first week, a shower of rain somehow leaked into our room from cracks on the balcony (on the fourth floor!) and soaked our room. This didn't really get to us at first as it is a large hotel and these things happen, but when we reported it to staff at reception we were promptly ignored! On numerous occasions over the next 2 days we were lied to and blatently dismissed by staff and forced to stay in a wet and disgustingly smelly room (the stink of damp at this stage would make you gag!). When we repeatedly asked to speak to a manager we were just told no! After a nightmare 2 days we were eventually moved to a new room (without even a simple apology for our trouble!). When we complained of this to our reps we were eventually given a bottle of sparkling wine and a bowl of fruit as a meagre apology. This new room was even worse than the first, smaller, totally broken shower and with a view from the balcony of a concrete wall! At this stage we had given up complaining to staff as we were obviously being ignored. To round off this disaster of a stay, when we were checking out, we were charged for drinks in the restaurant that we never ordered or recieved!
Sunny Beach itself is a below average resort, the exception being the beach which I thought was really nice. Everyone working in shops, restaurants and even the banks where you change money are extremely rude and just looking for tips (why they don't realise that being rude = no tip, I don't know!). When paying for anything you have to specifically ask for change as it will be taken as a tip otherwise. I also made the mistake of buying a number of games for the nintendo ds only to find they don't work when I arrived back home and tried them out!
My advice is to avoid Sunny Beach as a destination altogether but if you do go there, don't be fooled by the impressive photos of the victoria palace. This hotel claims to be 4/5 star but I'd be hard pushed to give it a 2. Back to sunny Spain for me in future!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Victoria Palace Hotel & Spa has been under renovation after listening to customers reviews. Two of our panorama lifts have been completely changed for season 2014 and number of rooms have been renovated. We are under a new management and efforts have been made to improve the product and the services. We are very excited to welcome our guests for season 2014. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Victoria Palace Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Victoria Palace Hotel Sunny Beach
- Victoria Palace Hotel And Spa
- Victoria Palace Bulgaria
- Victoria Palace Sunny Beach
- Victoria Palace Hotel Bulgaria
- Hotel Victoria Palace Bulgaria
- Victoria Palace Hotel & Spa Sunny Beach, Burgas Province, Bulgaria