“Never again under any circumstances.”
Review of Zefir Hotel

Zefir Hotel
“Never again under any circumstances.”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Firstly let me just note that the photo of the hotel on this page is not the zefir at sunny beach so anybody looking to go don't be fooled. Zefir is much older. We arrived for 2weeks in September all inclusive. The hotel is very clean the cleaners must work long shifts you constantly see them working and we could not complain about cleanliness at all. How ever that is where the good bits end. When first arriving we found the staff not very friendly but they seem to work 16-17 hr days everyday and we noticed the same staff everyday for the duration of our stay (no days off?) so this could be down to being tired. The food was not good at all. We found things we liked to start with but this did not last long. the menu had very little difference every day and the menu on week 1 was the same on week 2. be careful of the chicken it's always pink they seem to love it I stopped eating that after chewing on a slimey piece one day also be aware they do have a spicy meat with breakfast as a meatball you get this at every meal just shaped differently and labeled as different things eggs where not cooked properly everyday either so please be vigilant. I could go on more about the food there is no exaggerating but I think you get the picture. there was 8 of us went and of that 7 of us ended up with bad diarrhea. I went from constipation for the first few days with then led to going threw the entire range of every kind of diarrhea possibe from explosive threw to pure liquid of which u had very little or no warning. 3 of the other people in our group ended up having accidents due to this. And 2 in the group threw up. also the pain that accompanied the diarrhea was aweful real strong stomach cramps. The only one of the group that was not bad was the youngest who incidentally would not eat the food at all. In the end we stopped eating at Zefir and went out for food everyday as we could not physically take anymore. Also be aware if you have kids especially if thay get bored easy there is no entertainment at night. Nothing for kids at all so if that's what your looking for this is not the place for you. It's relatively quiet in that respect. The hotel in placed about 10mins ride from both sunny beach and nessebar so pretty much in the middle. If you are going here I would recommend self catering basis or half board with fruit for breakfast only it's safest.
I for one won't be staying at Zefir ever again nor will I ever risk paying all inclusive again either this was the first time I have gone anywhere all inclusive and after this will be the last regardless of where I go in the world. I'm not prepared to risk this situation anywhere. I would not recommend Zefir to anyone. bulgeria is a nice place to see also the waterpark at nesebar is well worth a visit. But overall the worst holiday of my life and I will not be rushing back largely due to the hotel not so much the place.

• Stayed September 2013
5 Thank blade201

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Have just come back from a week in Bulgaria and stayed at the Zefir hotel at the far end of sunny beach!! we both thought it was good value for money but we only did B&B. We heard it was cheap enough so wanted to experience some Bulgarian food. The hotel is quite basic but very clean and if you smiled and said hello to the staff you will find they did the same back!! have read some of the revues and find it so funny that people ranting about the hotel and food!! Its that cheap to eat out that i dont understand why they wouldnt!! Sunny beach is a very lively resort and if you want it a bit quieter this is the ideal spot as you are about 25 mins walk out of it!! we went late sept and a lot of places where closing down so would recommend if you want it busier go earlier as the the last week in sept it closed down every where! still had a good time and would go again but earlier as the weather also changed sadly!!!
Very cheap to eat and drink out and it was lovely to not be pestered as have been in other holiday destinations. The shop and bar owners are all friendly whether you buy from them or not!! Anyone with any difficulties walking there is a cute little train out side the hotel that goes into sunny beach centre every 15 and is just 3 lev about a £1 and it runs till about midnight!!
Would recommend it but dont expect the ritz you basically get what you pay for and remember the people moaning about it .... its only a 3* if you want 5* book that as they have 4* and 5* hotels there also :-) Will deffo be going back again to same hotel :-)

Room Tip: If you are on the front side you do hear people coming and going and you do hear the dogs barking ea...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank liz c
Smithy Bridge,littleborough United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

If you have never been to Sunny Beach, Bulgaria, I would recommend you try it at least once. If you like Sharm El Sheikh then you will like Sunny Beach.
It is situated on an 8km long curved beach on a picturesque semi-circled section of coastline overlooking the Black Sea, and is a great getaway with something for everybody.
I will tell you a little about it, but the fun is finding out for yourselves really.
The main part of Sunny Beach has all of the shops, stalls, bars, restaurants, sex shops, fun fairs etc and is very lively and inexpensive. Outside of there you will not find much, just more hotels, more shops and more restaurants.
We strongly recommend Jack's bar, which is great value for food, if a little too much 'home from home' for me. My fiancee loved the Bingo at 8pm, and was jealous of my Bannofee Pie.
2 main courses, 2 desserts, 4 drinks.... 29 leva...about £13.
Nesebar is more 'traditional' which is about 5k away from Sunny Beach, but is well worth visiting a couple of times.

The food is cheap, the beer is cheaper and the fake fashion shopping is top notch.

The beach is good, but a tip for you is to buy a parasol and a couple of lie-lo's and towels from the local shops, because the Sunbeds and parasols for hire on the beach will cost you a fortune.
1 x parasol plus 2 x sunbeds was 24 leva, or about £11 each time, but a parasol and 2 lie-lo's with towels cost us 60 leva or about £25 and we used them every day.
There are plenty of bars and cafes on the beach, and the water is shallow enough for younger children to play.
If you like fashion, take lots of spending money, as the fake clothes over there are something else.
If you want to take cigarettes back, 200 Malboro is 51 leva and Lamberts are 50 leva, which is a fixed price by the govt. ensure that they are "duty paid" , which means each 200 sleeve will have 10 x 5BGN printed on the side, rather than 'duty free' because the laws on allowances are a little ambigious. Dont bother shopping around for better prices, because they are all the same.
NEVER wait until you get back to the airport as they are a rip off there at 27.5 Euros for 200 which is already 5 leva more expensive than in the town, but they will also charge you to convert leva or £ into Euro.

Thats all I will tell you about Sunny Beach , but.......

The Zefir....where should I begin??

The Hotel is situated between Nesebar and Sunny Beach main, and is literally 200 yards from a lovely beach. That is where the the good part of the review ends.

The front of the hotel overlooks a seemingly quiet road, but the locals do seem to like to use it as a drag racing track at 2am, and enjoy very loud conversations underneath your balcony late at night. The balcony doors are single glazed, so they might as well be sat on your balcony chairs enjoying the view. The 'balcony' by the way, is approx 2m x 50cm which is just enough to fit 2 plastic patio chairs on, if you don't mind your knees poking through the railings that is. There are several shops below the hotel also, and these start setting up quite early in the morning, so forget having a lie in.
After 3 sleepless nights, we asked for a move to the garden side of the hotel, which the reception staff reluctantly agreed to. Although this was much better at night, dogs from a neighbouring hotel opposite did bark every morning when the deliveries turned up, so we were usually wide awake by 7:30 every day.
The rooms were twin, with 2 incredibly uncomfortable beds pushed together. The dip of the mattresses made sleeping together impossible, and we spent 14 nights sleeping 3 feet apart on the firmest beds we have ever encountered. I read a review on here before we went there, which described the pillows as 'sacks of potatoes'. I feel the reviewer was being overly generous on that occasion!!
Decor wise, they were clean enough, but cramped. 2 useless bedside cabinets, 2 spotlights over the bed which wobbled as they were switched on or off. A dressing table and mirror with 1 single drawer and the most ineffective wardrobe with 1 rail, a shelf 6 feet up that my fiancee couldnt even reach. No other shelves or drawers for smalls or t-shirts etc, so ours pretty much stayed in the suitcases for 2 weeks.
The fridge was a degree or two below room temperature, and only a small percentage of the rooms have aircon.
The bathroom was functional, with shower, basin and wc. All very dated.

The outside of the hotel is detailed with a disgusting turquoise colour, which is continued inside.
The reception looks like the sitting room of an old people's home, with tightly packed in sofas and chairs which would not have looked out of place in my great grandma's sitting room.

The restaurant is something else.
Picture white tiled floor, turquoise walls with orange pillars, dark wood tables with cream table cloths to hide the colour and light wood chairs. Spotlights in the ceiling with energy saving bulbs intead of spots and as much ambience as a Doncaster Rovers home game!
The food serving area looked like my school canteen, and the choice was as basic as possible without quite making the grade of prison food.
There were always 2 choices of soup... Which were 1/ creamy coloured water; or 2/ reddy coloured water, served with the same 2 choices of bread (white rustic or brown rustic), which could also be found at breakfast and lunch.
If you like Pork Shnitzel every night, with rice and brocolli, then you are in 5 star heaven. If you like chicken served up 14 nights on the trot with recipes from the book 'How to put you off chicken for life', then welcome to the Zefir!
Desserts consisted of Semolina, melon and sour grapes (mainly from the paying guests) EVERY NIGHT!!

Breakfast was the same every day too.
Boiled German 'hotdog style' bratwurst sausages, scrambled and fried eggs, grilled slices of bratwurst and tinned reconstituted bacon which closely resembled spam, an interesting interpretation of French Toast was also offered, and lots of baked beans to drown it all with.
Making toast is quicker if you put your bread on the hotel front steps in the sun, rather than using the 2 antiquated catering toasters.
There was also a choice of tomatoes and cucumber....yes... For breakfast!
1 kind of sweet pastry-cum-fig roll type thing....watered down apple juice (the watery orange cordial ran out on day 3 ) And the ever present grapes and melon.
I must say that the majority of the guests were German and Russian, and they seemed to enjoy the food, only us Brits seemed less than happy with it, one person we spoke to lived on jam and bread for 12 days....until the jam ran out!
I must say though, that the highlight of every afternoon was the free cake which was served on the poolside at 3pm. This 3cm x 3cm slice of cheap but tasty cake helped us through each day purely because of it's calorific value!
The evening entertainment consisted of a mid 40's German couple who appeared to live in the hotel, singing songs in german which vaguely resembled songs I thought I knew, but couldn't quite put my finger on. One played guitar whilst the other plinked and plonked on a yamaha organ. The first 30 minutes or so were verging on pleasant, but after a few nights of the same 15 songs we were begining to feel a little suicidal, and in severe danger of contracting a highly contagious foot tap which seemed to be going around
There were no daytime activities or entertainment, nor was there any music at the pool, apart from our first day when somebody bothered to press play.

The all inclusive bar.... Funny funny funny!
The inside bar, the one with all the different types of beers, spirits and cocktails was great... Only it wasnt the all inclusive...that was on the poolside....outside! Even at nights!
It's choices were 1 brand of draught Bulgarian beer, watery Rola Cola on tap, or watery fizzy orange or lemonade. Bulgarian Chocolate Liqueur, Peach Liqueur, Mint Liqueur, Vodka, Brandy or Rum.
Asking for them to be made into a cocktail was something I simply was not brave enough to do, as the bar staff scared me. Most times that I went to the bar, they didnt speak, just nodded to indicate that I was permitted to ask for a drink, poured it and managed to look anywhere but at me as they plonked them on the bar in the tasteful plastic cups. Actually looking in the opposite direction and begining to walk away, whilst depositing half full, luke warm plastic cups on a bar is quite a talent if you really think about it....and these were very talented people indeed.
The rest of the restaurant staff were equally unfriendly and obvioulsy were well trained NOT to smile or connect with guests in any way, so as to avoid any possiblity of a conversation or more likely COMPLAINT.
Staff texting or actually talking on mobiles was common, sitting down in the outside guests areas for a cigarette was normal, and groups of staff on a break, eating better meals than the customers at lunch or dinner time was also a regular sight. Their conversations at such times were loud, and sounded much like a shop steward's meeting.

The pool was small and freezing, but at the time that we went, we had no difficulty in finding space on the sunbeds.

All in all, the Zefir is poor, and they literally do just enough to qualify as an all inclusive hotel as cheaply as possible. Having said that, we paid £1000 for 2 weeks all inclusive ( albeit at the end ofthe season ) and couldn't expect Michelin Star cusine and Hilton furnishings, but certainly the staff could have been more friendly and interested I am sure.

Go there if you want, but my advice is to pay £100 per person more and find much much better.

One good point was that the "road train" to Sunny Beach sets off from right outside the front door and you can soon be eating and drinking well in the main town for a 3 leva fare each.

We went mid September, and by the time we left, there was almost nothing still open around the Zefir and it was like a ghost town in the evenings.
With nothing to do at the hotel after dinner, the only options were road trains to Sunny Beach or Nesebar each night, and even that got boring after a while.
Find a better hotel, nearer to the main Sunny Beach and enjoy.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front, ask for garden view
9 Thank Alan R

Travelers are raving about these Sunny Beach hotels

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

firstly, I didn't get a pool side view like requested, but I'm not bothered about that. Upon arrival the room was filthy, especially the taps and bathroom wall. The toilet was leaking aswell. The food was catered for the germans mainly, and most of the meats and the egg was undercooked. For example: In the 'water' soup there was chicken blood. The bar staff were homophobic and made nasty comments. The kitchen staff were flirting and one dish collector even was playing with his snot from his nose, aswell as groping himself under his pants. I found the experience rather uncomfortable. The food also resulted in me and my partner suffering with long term diarrhea and stomach pains. I was stabbed whilst on holiday and mugged of my phone and all my money as well as having my teeth smashed into my mouth, but the bar staff on the pool bar made fun of me as they were told and when I asked for a drink were shouting 'Bulgarian boys hard' and pretending to stab each other. I found it inappropriate behavior. The cleaner could never be bothered to change towels or sheets on the bed. There was also an incident that involved the food manager being rude and telling me i should go easy on my drinks when I had paid all inclusive and had only had two drinks, one being a non alcoholic one. It resulted in me spending money my family had sent me, as I felt like I was treated badly by the staff. The only person who made me feel welcome and helped me was Juliana, the emergency care for hotels. And the reception staff could barely speak english but were not too bad. I would not come back to Zefir ever again. I can't fault thomsons for the experience, but I did not enjoy my stay.

3 Thank Zac M
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The hotel is basic the rooms are clean our cleaners took our washing home and washed it for us breakfast is as you would expect we don't do all inc as it is not worth it in bulgaria as it is cheap to dine out plenty off hot water for showers mt only gripe is lack off plugs in the room good size swimming pool and plenty off grass area to sit in

Aintree, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This place is truly dreadful. Upon first entering the room, we noticed the carpet was like sandpaper, and was raised in parts by what appeared to be electrical/telephone wiring running underneath. We also asked for a poolside view......strange looking pool, looked an awful lot like the road at the front of the hotel.

The staff, where do I start? The waiting staff in the dining area were horrendous. Nose picking, crotch scratching, inappropriate flirting between staff, and a general sense of a "couldn't give a crap" attitude.

Now onto the food, which gave us the trots for several days (not just us, a number of fellow guests confirmed to us they had the same problem). We spent about 3 days placing ourselves strategically near the nearest public convenience. Not great when you're trying to sightsee!

Also, the guests were predominantly German. Which is fine, we spoke to some lovely German guests. However, the problem lies again with the hotel staff. They DO speak basic English, unless of course you want them to help you with something. At which point, they PRETEND not to speak a word of English and proceed to bombard you with a mixture of Bulgarian and German. Again, "couldn't give a crap" was the general feeling we got.

Bulgaria is a lovely place, particularly Nessebar, but this hotel? I've had better in Blackpool!

2 Thank Ariel M
Newcastle, Staffs
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Hotel is clean, room had modern furniture and linen and towels were changed regularly. We had room 487, top floor, overlooking the staff car park but with views across the bay and into Sunny Beach. Balcony very small, no room for a table and my husband (6'1") had to sit in the doorway otherwise his feet and knees poked out through the bars. Drawback, pipe for kitchen air conditioning ran up the wall outside our room and this kicked in at 7 a.m every morning. Also, staff living in ground floor had a small dog which started to yap when the staff and deliveries arrived. There was also a nauseating smell of onions cooking when you first opened the window. Only a small number of rooms have air conditioning (pay extra) ours didn't but as it was Sept. we didn't find it a problem. Don't know what it would be like in height of summer.

Pool area and surrounding grass are kept clean but if you want a lounger be prepared to get up at 7 a.m. as the Russians, Germans, Polish and Ukrainians all seem to have the habit of putting towels on them and then disappearing. The Brits. are certainly in the minority in this hotel. Entertainment in the form of a duo is provided every night (same couple) and there music is pleasant to listen to. A similar couple play at the John Smiths bar opposite, although they have nights off when the big football games are being screened. Didn't go but Smiths also have karaoke from midnight every night.
The biggest disappointment was the food. Breakfast was okay but the evening meal was another thing. Didn't know there were so many ways you could serve chicken and pork. In some form or another they were on the menu every night. For the 13 nights that we were there
the additional choice was 2 nights liver (hard) l night beef (nice) 2 nights omelette and 2 nights fish. Didn't try the latter 2 as they didn't look appealing. Salad Bar consisted of tomato/grated cheese, tomato/cucumber, coleslaw and on 2 nights stuffed vine leaves. Had lettuce on 1 night. Desserts every night: mousse, grapes and watermelon. Neighbours were 'all inclusive' and they said they had the same meals at lunch time.

Hotel is closer to Nesebar than Sunny Beach Centre but either place can easily be accessed by either the land train or the local bus.

It's 20 years since we last went to Sunny Beach and couldn't recognise the place. Because of its location on the beach and the relative quietness of the area I would stay at this hotel again but on a bed and breakfast basis and eat out.
TIP: Unless you like 'perfumed' tea then take your own tea bags with you. What we call ordinary tea was hard to come by and the supply ran out nearly every morning.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and have a room overlooking the pool - no dog yapping or karaoke from pub.