Booked a late holiday three weeks before travel and weren't bothered where we went. The travel agent suggested The Meridian at Sunny Beach as her parents enjoy it and it fitted in with our requested dates and departure airport.
The Meridian, on arrival, looked really good. We were dealt with promptly and efficiently by the Reception Staff and a porter took us to our room - all very good.
Got up for breakfast the following morning at about 9 as we didn't arrive until 4 in the morning so a few hours kip before breakfast and welcome meeting.
The restaurant is on the top floor and I have never experienced such a chaotic environment - ever!
The only member of staff who seemed to be on top of his game was the guy in charge of the pancakes and ommelettes. Everyone else seemed to be like headless chickens! The tables were dirty, you had to search for basics like salt and pepper. The coffee machine which was next to the juice machine and if there were coffee cups available then you could guarantee there would be no juice glasses available and vice versa.
We had booked for half board but had intended to eat out some nights so we tried evening meal and throughout the whole 14 days only ate evening meal there 3 times. Once again, the restaurant was very disorganised, dirty and uninviting.
On the subject of sunbeds. I have never stayed in any hotel before where you have to pay for the use of sunbeds. We paid because we wanted to relax by the pool but at 5 lev per sunbed per day, it adds up to a fairly hefty sum - okay maybe if the sunbeds were top quality and comfortable but not for the standard white plastic slatted beds. The poolside police whilst very chatty and pleasant were on the ball and there was no way you could get away witha free day.
No one mentioned that the Corner pub was actually part of the hotel. You could access the Corner pub from the poolside or out of the main entrance and just down the road.
On a more positive note, our room was cleaned every single day including fresh towels and the sheets were changed twice during our 14 day stay.
The lifts were a bit hit and miss - only four to serve the whole hotel two of which only took four people and the other two could manage to take six people. Didn't bother us too much as we are both able bodied and fit enough to climb the stairs.
Never had a drink in the hotel - the bar on the top floor in the restaurant didn't appeal and the poolside bar was very sparce and uninviting.
Loved Bulgaria, eating out, fortunately, is cheap. You must try a night with Vlad the Lad in the 100% Family Restaurant just outside the main entrance to the hotel - It was excellent.
Glad we weren't at the clubbing area of the resort was nice to be able to have a walk in and then get back to peace and quiet!
Great to take the service bus for 1lev (bargain) into Nessebar which was a lovely little town.
Would definitely go to Bulgaria again and even stay at Sunny Beach but definitely NOT stay at the Meridian.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- smartline Meridian is a nice and modernly designed hotel located a stone's throw from the long fine sandy Sunny Beach. The hotel is perfect for those who want to stay close to the beach but not want miss out on the nightlife. If you want an extra convenient holiday, you can add All Inclusive to your booking. smartline Meridian feature a pool area with a pool bar, and the hotel's main restaurant offers breath-taking views of Sunny Beach. Lively nightlife and numerous restaurants and shops is awaiting around the corner from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your smartline Meridian Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Meridian Hotel Sunny Beach
- Smartline Meridian Hotel Sunny Beach, Burgas Province, Bulgaria