“Paisley people”

Poseidon Apartments
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just back from Sunny Beach had a great time in the apartments at the pool most of the time, room was basic but had everything that we needed,most of the staff were very friendly apart from the blonde girl chewing the wasp at the reception. The one superstar at the hotel is Julie if not for her our holiday would have been at the best average

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

19 of us stayed here 1st 2 weeks in August - from 65 down to 10 years - had an absolutely great time - Julie is brill with all guests - food in pool bar is fab - pool is great - my patents both in mid sixties were with us and they enjoyed every minute of the holiday - about 10 min walk to centre but a shortcut by marvel steak house leaves you at prom in 3 mins - overall a fab place to stay Defo going back next year - went with falcon and no complaints at all rep Jess was a star too

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 8, 2013

had a great stay at Poseidon apartments Julie who worked the pool bar was brilliant as was steve got told off for my 15 year old son threw me in the pool room cleaned daily very basic equipment for self catering but didn't bother us as we ate out all the time I might be wrong but I thought the receptionist smiled once never known as unhelpful receptionist as the blonde one but everything else great when we got there we didn't have a kettle or toaster in our room so went down to reception told the blonde one and got one the next day food in the hotel ok but much cheaper to eat out much more variety and cheaper try the Hawaii on the prom get a great breakfast including a drink for 8 lev or a main meal about 15 lev try the Hawaii special it really nice

1  Thank Tony Q
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Rooms very clean fresh towels everyday, 24 hr supermarket within hotel has basics just. Food isn't really up to much ur safer eating in town just there's lots of restaurants so it's no problem. My only real complaint are the sore faced reception staff who aren't friendly and dnt speak much English there's no point speaking to them coz they cnt help u with anything otherwise apartments are grand!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 28, 2013

just came back 27.08.2013. read previous reviews just before going, the one good thing about this hotel is the barmaid julie, the barman steve charged drunk people twice as much for alcohol as sober people. i was there with two teenagers, and we witnessed the receptionist been beaten by her husband whilst working, we then had to make statements. the reception staff are unhelpfull and miserable, guests who came back from nights out in high spirits (they are on holiday) were threatened with £50 fines. its not a hotel i would ever go back too. the pull out beds are awful with thin mattresses, but you can rent another matress for £10 per day and pillows are £5 per day...total rip off. oh and the pool area is covered in wasps..

3  Thank 751susan2013
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I checked this hotel out last year with guests and also checked out what people had to say on TripAdvisor. I travelled there with my husband and 2 teenage daughers.
This is in an ideal location a very short walk to beach and promanade.
The rooms are a very good size. We had our beds changed 3 times both weeks and clean towels most days. The cleaners came in daily emptied bins swept and mopped floors.They obviously dont spring clean evey day as some people expect but we are a clean family anyway and the cleaners did a good job.
We went on a self catering basis as food and drink is soooo cheap and there are some great places to eat. Check out the Hawai it has amazing deals and great food. you can get very nice food from the restaurant in the hotel and I definitely recommend the breakfast. The bar is open early in the morning until the last person leaves. Julie who runs the bar is a lovely bulgarian lady who speaks amazing English. She is the happiest person I think I have ever met and cannot do enough for you.
We are not really pool people we prefer the beach and as is a very short walk. I would say the pool is adequate and there are generally sunbeds spare, not as bad as some hotels where you have to do as I call it the sun bed run.
I cannot tell you very much about reception staff as we didn't really have any need to go to reception but I have been told they don't speak much english but it is Bulgaria so hey ho.
My only moan I have which is minor is that the bed sofa that my daughters slept on the mattresses were far too thin. I did complain so they adviced I could rent an extra mattress for 20 leva per day. I do feel if they know they are not adequate they should put this right and not sting guests for extra money as this is not a luxury. Buy a lilo for 4 leva instead.
There are alot of 24 hour supermarkets at very reasonable prices that sell everthing you could possibly need.
We have been to Sunny beach 3 times and enjoyed it every time. We have never had any bad experiences.my advice to travellers is check things out before you travel and never do anything abroad that you wouldn't do at home and you won't go far wrong. Bulgaria is an amazing place with fab beaches and great places to visit outside of sunny beach. I hope this helps any future holidaymakers. Happy holidays.

5  Thank martidorset
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Apartment was spotless. Bathroom a little odd as there's no shower curtain - it was more a wet room with a bath plonked in there as a second thought, there is no bath sealant either so beware slippey floors. The bed - I slept like a log every night which is a first on any hotel/apartment bed! The air conditioning is only in the lounge but it did keep the whole apartment cool. The kitchen was basic but had enough of all things needed for us to survive. I did manage to blow all the electrics with the first adaptor I plugged in but the porter came up to look at it, he did the stuff we'd done, checked trip switches, reset them all, and no joy so he made a phone call and then disappeared for about 20 mins, then the electric came back on and I threw the adaptor away! The cleaners came every day and also replaced the towels more frequently than advised. I didn't try room service, although it was available.

Staff - fantastic, especially Julie - the best barmaid ever since I quit the job! I've read reviews about the reception staff but I never had any issues, I think the blonde one maybe doesn't have as good a command of the English language as the other staff which may be why she doesn't talk much to you - give the girl a break, she's not rude/nasty/obnoxious, maybe if we made an effort to learn her language she'd be more outgoing.

Pool/sunbeds - the temperature was in the mid-30's each day but as it was quite breezy in Sunny Beach you never felt too hot. No matter what time people arrived, I only ever saw problems once with people not able to get a sunbed, and the pool neve4 got overcrowded.

There was a mix of nationalities at the apartments, but there didn't seem to be one bigger group than another. And everyone got on with each other as well.

Doctor - unfortunately I did have to visit the doctor as my eczema was playing up, but he had a great command of the English language and fully understood what was wrong (plus he gave me better medicines than I get here in the UK!).

Area - lots of bars, restaurants, little shops, etc, to go to during the day/evening/night. There's also a couple of crazy golf courses, places for them little fish to eat your feet and photo stalls where you can get into fancy dress and have your pic taken. We are a couple plus teenager and for a main meal plus one or two soft drinks it worked out at about £20-25 all in - we ate at different places each day and couldn't fault any of the meals (although if you like chips you may want to order an extra portion as they only dish up a dozen or so on the plates. The only exception to this was Mamacita's right in the centre which worked out at about £40 for the three of us, but the food (Tex-Mex) was fantastic!

Trips - I highly recommend the jeep safari but make sure you wear clothes you are happy to bin after as by 'off road' they really do mean 'off road' and up/down hills, through rivers, etc... You also gt to play games and get fed. The trip I went on kept feeding us all Rakia at different stops (lemonade for the kids). They sold us DVDs of the trip after (£25) but it was worth it, we're still laughing at it now (and once I can work out how to delete images of me from the DVD I'll be putting it on Facebook!). The sea trips we didn't do because I'm allergic to seafood which is the main food served up on these trips so they're not a good idea. There's the usual shopping trips as well. There are two 'aqua parks' - one in Sunny Beach and one in Nessabar. The rep advised us the Nessabar one was better for teens/adults. If you''ve been to Siam Park in the Canaries you'll find this one a bit of a let down, but for £19 a ticket it's a good day out and the food/drinks are similarly priced at the park as they are outside the park (unlike the UK where they rip you off as you are a captive audience - but that's another review entirely!). We did a shopping trip as well (and given my love of shoes and the fantastic choices we had in the mall, my husband was seriously relieved that I'd forgotten the credit card and left it in the room safe, I was not so happy though as I could easily have bought a dozen pairs!).

Overall, the apartments are well worth the money we paid, and the area is still growing but definitely we're considering a return visit next year, just with a different tour operator (but that's another story).

Wifi - the hotel charged for this (£1 for 15 minutes). The bars/restaurants along the sea front usually let you use it for free and either gave you the password or typed it in themselves if you handed them your laptop/iPad/kindle/etc...

I have taken some photos of the partment/pool area/etc., and will try to upload them at some point.

Room Tip: We had an apartment at the front (not pool facing) and even though it's on a main road we had no...