“It were proper good!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sunny Beach
Apart Hotel Mariner
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“It were proper good!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just booked up again for this june, cracking place. The hotel is as I hope you expect; noisy, full of characters, very social, and the people you meet are always up for a good laugh. If you're lucky enough to have a room with a balcony overlooking the pool it's a great way to meet others staying there. The pool is a decent size and has a bar right next to it.
I never experienced any trouble with theft, but was careful to keep valuables hidden or locked up in the suitcase.
The hotel is situated right across the road from 'Condor Bar', which is cheaper than most other places i've visited throughout the resort. Just to clarify, this is the cheapest holiday destination in Europe and you'll be looking at paying an average of 70p for a decent pint of bulgarian lager (Kamenitza), and a little over £1 for a vodka and coke (At least a double, don't think single measures are even a thing here!). Big brands of beer and spirits can cost just as much as they do at home and sometimes even more, so keep to the bulgarian stuff. It does the job just the same and at a fraction of the price.
If you leave the hotel via the main entrance you can reach the main strip (Flower Street) by turning left of right. It's just shy of a 5 minute walk and not at all hard to find. It really comes alive at night, so reserve all judgement until you get out for yourselves and give it some!
Now, due to the combination of wanting to eat decent food and a strong desire to avoid a bout of accute diarrhea just in time for a night out, I was particularly careful about where I ate. With this taken into consideration, a handful of restaurants spring to mind which have gathered good reviews and I would happily recommend to you; namely D'Jannys, Condor Bistro, Grandma's Kitchen, FarA, and the Bombay Grill. All are close to the hotel and very reasonably priced. I shan't go into too much detail as you can find plenty of information regarding them in the Trip Advisor sunny beach forums. You will also find McDonalds on the main strip, a bit of a cop out to eat at but good for the hangover that needs a cheeseburger to knock it on the head.
I suggest giving the reps half a chance to sell you a couple of tickets for their nights out as they proved to be another great way of meeting others staying at the hotel. I booked up for the bar crawl and school disco, both of which I was glad I went for. I booked all the other pub crawls from the reps on the main drag. Make certain you go on the Party Crew pub crawl at some point, definitely the best of the lot. Again, you can find the reps for this on the main drag; wearing bright green t-shirts.
When out and about in the resort you might be approached by bulgarians trying to hand cherries and other fresh fruit to you. Blank them, give them a smile or whatever, and walk away. Never take anything from them, because as soon as you do they throw a big wobbly and start demanding money. Another heads up for if you happen to find yourself stumbling back to the hotel in the early hours, wasted, and with no idea where your mates are. There are prostitutes and gypsy women looking for people just like you. They get all up in your grill, act nice, put their arms around you, and after sucessfully shaking them off you wake up the next day with a vile headache and the sinking realisation that your pockets have been emptied. Oh great.
At the opposite end of the strip from the hotel you can find the beach. There are sun loungers and parasols to use but they both cost around 8 Lev each to hire so bear this in mind. As I recall, you just sit down where you'd like and a geezer with a bumbag turns up to take payment. Also worth noting that the bars along the beach are a good craic. Whilst a little more expensive, they've usually always got 2 for 1 offers on cocktails and have shisha pipes available for you to hire.
For the low price it costs to stay here and the amount it has to offer you really can't go far wrong. If you plan on exchanging your money once you get there make sure you use either the hotel receptions, Crown Exchange, or Strings to avoid scams and rip-offs. Rates are always pretty good.
All in all; have fun, let go and make it a good'n. Peace!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank MiceAndGods

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed here 11th June 2012 for 1 week, hotel close to the action cleaned everyday and buzzing atmosphere what more could you ask for with an 18-30s holiday? Reps are reps at the end of the day and their job is to sell you the trips which although are pretty expensive compared to the deals people will offer you on the strip we found it is definitely worth doing because nearly everyone else at the hotel is on the trips so great way of getting to know the others whereas you would be with loads of random people if your taking up the offers to get into viking etc. Overall a great holiday not a massive amount of English people out there yet but this is surely the resort to watch for the next few years.

Room Tip: Pool facing for 24/7 action!!
1 Thank Chris H
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I came here Sept12 with 2 other girls (aged 21-24) and we had an amazing stay! We arrived around 5am and had our meeting with our rep, paid around 350lev(around £155) for all the daily 18-30 activities including bar crawls, boat trips etc. I think that it was definitely worth it especially because you get to meet so many other people staying in the hotel!

Before we came, we read that it can be a bit of a "sausage fest"(ha) which was pretty much right but we didnt experience any problems and everyone was nice and friendly.

Overall, we loved Sunny Beach - it was ridiculously cheap! For example, they took us to one bar, SlamCafe, where it was 5 shots of tequila/sambuca for 5 lev which is less than 50p a shot! Ridiculous..

It was also a good idea to pop to the shop (right on the end of the strip, before the beach) in between bars and get small jager bottles which were about 1.20lev! Everyone loves Supermarket Sweep!

Food in the hotel was okay. We only tried the breakfasts and then ate out the rest of the holiday.

The maid would come to change our towels every day and everything was clean and tidy.

I would suggest being careful with the hotel room as a lot of people got charged for damages! We were fine but there were a few people who got a bit too carried away and damaged things when drunk!

All in all, It was a brilliant holiday and we would definitely love to visit again!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank KatieD1988
wales
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We went with a few other girls In June 2012 with 18-30,the hotel was fine, huge rooms and the staff (I found) were really very helpful.

Anyway, unfortunately due to a death I had to fly home after 3 days-the moment the rep found out he immediately made it clear to me it was my problem and up to me to find my way home, obviously I didn't expect them to swap my flights because of how rarely they leave, but he wouldn't even tell me the name of the closest airport and made sure to tell me "I won't give you any money back for the excursions you booked". I wasn't really bothered and told him to keep the money if he was that bothered. The reception booked me a taxi and even sent an escort with me because I was 18 and alone, the airport was filled with Russian kids which is such an amazing greeting for you when your heads banging.

Besides that, it was ok.

3 Thank aimeeashley1
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Okay so we came here on the 8th June 2012 and we're going back this year on the 14th June, all we really did was sleep and eat in the hotel occasionally but as soon as we got there on the first morning, (around 3am mind you) we got greeted with shots and wasnt that long till we was in our rooms, the atmosphere is incredible, we looked out our balcony at around 4am and people were still up partying away singing songs and playing drinking games, what do you expect when you go to a club 18-30's hotel, i was hoping just that! close to the nightlife, local shop a minute out the main door, and everyone you meet there are so god to get along with, i highly reccomend this hotel to anybody thinkiing of going to BG, WOOP, will be my third time this year we go!!!!

Room Tip: if your a true party head ask for a room facing the pool and when booking ask for an apartment with...
2 Thank Alex B
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

What could have been a very nice stay was ruined by theft problems.

The first incident was theft from the room. One of our rooms was completely cleared out. In such a situation you cannot be sure that staff were involved, although its probable. This became far more likely when, on the last day, we were encouraged to leave our bags in a left luggage room close to the office. A staff member was subsequently caught 'helping himself' to the contacts of a guest's bag. When accused, the staff member became violent and a minor brawl ensued. So very far from the way any hotel staff member should behave!

This was all made worse by the management's attitude, which was completely dismissive. Clearly this is what they consider normal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dan B
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Went a few months ago, just getting round to writing review now. Arrived at the hotel around 4am and like most reviewers here, had a meeting with the reps right way as they pitched the various excursions to us. We werent bothered at first as we had a friend staying at another hotel and we thought he couldnt join in with the trips but the reps said it was no problem and they even spoke to the hotel so he could come to the pool with us during the day. We ended up booking a few like the boat party, school disco, silent disco all were excellent and a great way to meet up with other people on 18-30. Hotel was very clean, maids did a great job each day. We were warned about fines for breaking stuff so when a glass was accidently smashed we went straight to the reps and weren't charged. Mariner is in a great location and since it is an 18-30 you can expect noise 24/7 but we werent bothered, its a holiday and everyone was out to have fun ! My one complaint would be the reps. On our second night one of my friends slipped in the bathroom and dislocated her knee, meaning she was on crutches and in a full leg cast for most the week. Despite all the reps coming to see her, it was nothing more than 'oh thats a shame'. The lead rep kept promising to come see us to arrange a new seat as of course she needed extra leg room now but she never appeared. We ended up having to sort it out at the airport ourselves, i know its 18-30 but surely the reps could have taken a bit more interest in the wellbeing of the guests not just gettingg them drunk ??

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends