“awfull”

Ranked #27 of 220 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“awfull”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

just back from diamond had two weeks off hell . hotel is 18 to 30 which no,one told us there were families there with children . food was rubbish drinks watered down , had vodka and coke which was clear, coke was that watered down , allways running out of beer . such a shame as nice clean hotel/pool . staff have no control over young ones they did what they liked drinking in foyer till half five/six in morning noise was awfull then decide to run along corridors knocking on doors throwing things off balconies. shouting over balconies for friends at all times. could not get round pool after eight in morning could put towels out at seven but you had to pay pool lad which was shocking so spent most time at the beach which cost 32 levs everyday for chairs/parasolls. had to eat out everyday may as well have gone room only would not recommend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: if travelling to bulgaria stop up by trakia/continental much better for families two noisy in centre...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank caroline b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I went on a girls holiday with 4 friends from the 9th-17th of July, having read some pretty bad reviews about the hotel. We arrived at about 2am local time after our bus broke down on the way to the hotel. When we arrived the staff seemed really friendly. we were offered 2 rooms which we could choose. One room was very small with a wet room rather than an actual shower. we decided on the other room which was much larger with 5 beds split into 2 rooms. It was very big and plenty of room for 5 girls!
There were a couple of things wrong with the room such as there being uv paint on the sheets but apart from that they were clean. In our room we were lucky enough to have a bath and shower, however the shower wasnt very powerful and where it attached to the wall was broken and there was no plug. There also seemed to be a leak from next to the bath where the drain was so the floor was always wet.
We were lucky enough to a balcony overlooking the pool. However, the netting on the french windows were was ripped and the curtains were very long so you had to lift it all up to go outside.
Our Air-con worked fine even if every now and again it did throw out a piece of ice.
The rooms were cleaned everyday (apart from one) with all our pjs folded and things but nicely away. Nice little treat :)
The hotel itself was very clean and tidy.
Prior to leaving I read a lot of bad reviews about the food. I found that the food was satisfactory for what it was. There was always a lot of choice and something for everyone.
One thing I would complain about it the level of noise at the early hours of the morning. However being an 18-30s holiday I didnt take much notice to this.
The location of the hotel was also really good, less than 100m to the main strip. There are supermarkets across the road aswell as the hotel shop where you can buy essentials like water as the tap water is unsuitable to drink. Overall I really enjoyed the holiday and it was very good value for money.

3 Thank RhianJ93
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I was in Sunny Beach with my mate on a lads holiday from July 9th - July 17th. We booked up for the Diamond having seen really good pictures of the place and getting the package at a very good price. However, I had read reviews on the Diamond and not all were positive.. I put this down to people that only write reviews when they have a bad holiday... However, our stay at the hotel proved that these reviews were nothing short of the truth.

Upon arrival at the hotel I had no complaints. Everything was clean; staff came across very friendly; there was plenty of activities to do eg. table tennis, americal pool, english pool, table football, internet room and a small shop onsite. All very positive.

However, things began to go wrong as soon as we reached our room door.
Firstly, we had a hole on the front of our door; obviously a previous holiday maker fancied leaving their mark on the hotel with a cheeky right hook.
On entry to our room, we both nearly tripped head over heels on the beds; simply... the room sizes were DEFINITELY not the size the pictures showed, so whatever camera they used.. I think I'm going to borrow it to impress the ladies (if you get my drift!)
Not just this, we got friendly with some lads staying across the corridor and their room was about 3ft smaller than ours, meaning their room may as well have been on the balcony.
Once we placed our suitcases down, we did what 99% of holiday makers with a balcony do - go and check it and the view out. We opened our sliding doors and immediately spotted that one of the balcony glass safety panels in front of us was smashed in numerous places and held in place by only the top left hinge. Please see our photo.
Next, and I quote from Thomas Cook's website (please see below for extended write up) that 'All rooms are centrally air-conditioned'. Just for the record... ours was - but did not work, neither did it in 4 other rooms that we know of. A couple of girls said their air conditioning did work in their room but it leaked water after 5minutes of being on! Make up your own mind but I should think its safe to say that this problem is not likely to be confined to these 6 rooms!

'Room facilities
The Diamond Hotel features 284 double rooms spread over 5 floors with three lifts. All rooms are centrally air-conditioned and are equipped with a private bathroom with shower, WC, hairdryer, telephone, mini bar (at a local charge), Satellite TV and a balcony. Double rooms can accommodate either 3 or 4 people and can also be booked for single use. Free baby cot is available on request.'

Lastly, each room has a telephone, some have 2. Our telephone had no wire connecting the receiver to the handset itself. This didn't bother me, neither did the hole in the door really; but as you can imagine, the smashed glass did.
But all 3 of these problems were very interesting as it came to checking out - which I WILL come back to.

Food/Drink.
I have stayed at a couple of All Inclusive hotels before and I can only say the same thing about them all - food and drink are average and repetitive. As far as I am concerned, they are not going to put lobster and caviare on the menu when you pay all inclusive but on the other hand, Thomas Cook's rating stated this as a 4* Hotel!!!

Pool
The swimming pool was a decent size really. It wasn't heated but again, I understand hotels in warms countries rarely heat their pools; so that didn't overly phase me.
Only flaws with the pool was that there were loose tiles at the bottom which were relatively sharp, so care was needed!

Staff
As I previously stated, all staff come across relatively friendly, my favourite were the two serving behind the pool bar, give them a cheeky cigarette or a tip of 2 lev and you were well looked after by them.

Right... now comes the harsh reality of the Diamond - they LOVE fines.

Our hotel was a specialised Escapades, Club 18-30 and Germany's equivalent, so for us young lads and ladies, the hotel was brilliant. Noisy, great ambience, young and wild - seriously, what more do you expect?!!
Well, the only people who had a problem with this, were the same hotel staff who decided it would be a good idea to specialise as the above...

So for starters 2 people we met there were fined, yes FINED for making too much noise!!! Confused? So was I. It's like me saying I am going to open a Kennels where dogs cannot bark? More to the point, there was not a sign ANYWHERE in the hotel which stated a noise restriction. People were stumbling through the entrance 24 hours a day but what else would else would you expect from 18-30's!!
Secondly, the points I made about our room door, broken balcony and our telephone came back to haunt us upon checking out.
Reception wanted us to pay 100 lev for the door, 100 lev for the balcony glass AND questioned us furiously about the wire for the phone.

I will break each fine down.
The door - around 2:30pm on the 14th July, the bellboy entered our room unannounced - not even a polite knock - shouting and pointing at our door, '100lev!', until we stubbornly told him what he already knew - 'it was already damaged when we arrived and we are not paying! He proceeded to look for more problems in our room, muttering his lovely Bulgarian compliments towards the English, NOT!
The Balcony glass - after walking through our room and requesting we pay for the door, he then went to our balcony where he found the broken glass.
Again, we told him the same thing as we had with the door - more muttering.
He then grabbed our phone and pointed out there was no wire (tell us something we didn't know!) After asking where it was he left abruptly.

The Hotel were persistent on us paying the fine for the glass, until I reminded them that was already broken on arrival and that I had reported the problem to Simona Petkova - the nice receptionist - on our second day. She had told me there was no problem and it should stay where it was. She was right in some ways as the glass did not fall out but parts did splinter off the edges of the panel and were blown by the wind into our room causing minor cuts to mine and my friends feet. Once again after giving Simona's name and showing our cuts, this fine was removed.

Lastly, (it was like the Hotel were clutching at straws), we were informed that we had apparently got into a room where 2 German lads were staying, had a fight with them and caused damage to their room. This time they wanted 100 Lev each (200 Lev total) to cover the damage and then proceeded to inform us that they would not release our passports until the fine was paid in full. My blood was now boiling so I personally walked to room in question, spoke to the lads and explained our problem to them. The lads knew it wasn't us and as any decent person would went back to the reception with us to explain the same.
Thinking our hell would end there the older lady behind reception looked at us angrily and began showing the German lads ALL the British lads passports she had (I counted 24!) to see if they could point out faces. As the German lads looked on confused, they told her it was none of them.
As we thanked the German's and began to walk off, she called the hotel manager over and he said the following... 'until you find the people who have caused this problems, you pay 200 Lev or we hold your passports'. We were English so it had to be us or we MUST have know who it was!
To cut a long story short, after the hotel manager showed us CCTV footage of absolutely nothing, us getting in touch with the British Embassy and getting our Rep involved and again thanks to the German lads ... we didn't have to pay.
On the other hand, the German lad's who helped us out by being honest, were given the 200 Lev fine and were actually kept at the hotel and not given their passports back until the fine was paid in full. This resulted in them missing their initial flight home as they hadn't enough to pay the fine and had to wait for funds to arrive from Germany. Who knows if they had to pay addition monies for new flights!!

Very very last point I'd like to make on fines, we were told by reception and the pool caretakers, if we English jumped in the pool after hours, we would be fined 300 lev... having spoken to 2 or 3 separate groups of German's, their fine for the same was offence was just 50 lev. It is very safe to say, they either think we English are rich... or they hate us.

I apologise for the story instead of review, but this covers not just my room, but others too! Therefore, we were not just 2 unlucky English tourists we were ALL just unlucky enough to have picked the 4* Diamond Hotel!!!

8 Thank JordanEgerton

Travelers are raving about these Sunny Beach hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I was in Sunny beach with 3 of my friends (we're all male) from July 9th-July17th) and had an incredible time despite any flaws the hotel has.

Pro's:

Location-was about 100m from the start of the strip and about 10 mins walk down to the beach (at the end of the strip). Most of the better bars like Amingo's, Viking and Coyote were along the beach front however there are still plenty of decent ones at the top of the strip near the Diamond. Most restaurants were towards the beach end of the strip so still a 5-10 min walk for a meal.

There's a small Cafe/Restaurant pretty much next to the Diamond which offers a cheap English breakfast for about 6 lev. Don't go near this place the food was dirt-uncooked egg, sausages etc, the bacon was grey and I'm pretty sure I swallowed a good handful of pubic hair before spotting the first black curler hidden amongst the "Heinz" beans.

Hotel Cleaners-These girls were absolute Angels. Our room looked like a bomb had gone off in Topman when we left in the early afternoon, came back several hours later and we had fresh towels and sheets as expected. However the cleaners had picked up all our clothes off the floor, folded them and put them in our suitcases for us, even taking the time to line up the boxes of condoms that were strewn across the room on our bedside table.

We had a party on the roof overlooking the pool one day which involved 11 lads taking chairs and tables from other balconies and having a good drinking session, we then found these cleaners returning all the chairs and tables the next morning (whilst removing any litter left behind).

We did check for all our valuables once we knew they'd been touching our suitcases and everything was there including the ipod and speakers I left bang in the middle of our room still blaring out music. The cleaners only cleaned the rooms when we left, so often they'd open the door, see us sleeping then come back the next day resulting in us having a dirty room for a day or two until they tried when we weren't in. Either way, top girls.

Staff: A lot of people have complained about the staff, however most of them are generally nice people if you say please and thankyou with everything. Tip the Barman on the all inclusive bar if you go as you get restricted to how many drinks you can take per person (giving them the odd cigarette goes down really well).

Cons:

Food-the food was identical every single day, basically everything on the menu was vile apart from the chips which were acceptable. Pretty sure the dodgy egg, frankfurters and meat was responsible for the flat out diarrhea I had after a couple of days aswell.

Alcohol-the beer was noticeably watered down here, however they have a few cheap spirits available for mixers which will help you along when your trying to pre-drink. If your considering doing self catered or all inclusive I'd definitely say go all inclusive just to get use of a free bar as we saved the probably over £150 each just by milking the free bar. It also came in useful for drinking games like beer pong where you need lots of cups, different drinks etc.

Rooms-we booked 2 rooms which were meant to contain two single beds and a sofa bed in each, instead we had 2 rooms which had immovable single beds directly next to each other AKA a double bed.

Fines-The Diamond absolutely love fining people, fair enough if you've broken something and are making noise, but the Diamond tried to fine our party for having a fight with some Russians (which we weren't involved in). They claimed to have cctv of us fighting them so we asked to see it, after watching 10 mins of the tapes the only footage of us they had was of us walking towards the elevator. They still tried to fine us until we got our rep involved and threatened to ring the British Embassy.

Elevators-they shake when you move up and down in them and they squeak loudly which is slightly frightening.

Pool-tiles all come off the floor of the pool which can be quite sharp, pool also isn't heated so it gets too a point where its too cold to go in (the weather has nothing to do with this as even when it was 34 degrees Celsius outside, the pool was horrifically cold.)

Insects/bathroom-This isn't really the hotels fault, but somehow a giant cricket got into our bathroom which decided to assault anyone who went within a meter radius of it (which coincidentally was the size of the entire bathroom). The shower in this bathroom was also very loosely fitted, so whenever the water was turned up too high, the pressure would send water hammering into the ceiling and/or through the door, if the water was too low then it would just dribble down the wall. The only logical thing to do was sit on the toilet nude and hose yourself down (multitasking). The shower curtain is also too close to the shower and the drain comes off.

Door-the door of the bathroom is falling apart at the bottom due to getting drenched in water every day, also we were trapped in our room for ages as the lock broke, resulting in myself having to climb through the bedroom of two half naked foreign holiday makers who spoke very little English which could've been very awkward indeed.

Germans/Other Foreigners-I know this isn't really a fair point but we were outnumbered largely by all the other Europeans in the hotel who seemed to be unbelievably loud and obnoxious (even the bar staff said they hated Germans as they were rude and loud).

Pretty sure I've covered everything, in general the hotel is bearable but it certainly isn't that pleasant. If your looking for a cheap holiday then its certainly an option, however I would strongly recommend spending an extra £30+ per person not to live in such filth.

Also the recent reviews giving it 5* reviews must be written by someone in the hotel, as in no way is it perfect and literally everyone I spoke to agreed. Even the promoters on the strip would shout to us "Eat here, everyone knows the Diamond has awful food".

Would definitely recommend Bulgaria to anyone of any nationality as it was arguably the best holiday I've had so far, just make sure you pick a hotel with decent reviews.

Room Tip: Don't get any. Stay away.
7 Thank JordanMetcalf
Bourgas, Burgas, Bulgaria
Reviewed July 9, 2012

vary good location, good value of money, average quality and standart of food (better then expected).

2 Thank Daniel S
Welshpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I travelled to Sunny Beach on the 18th June 2012 with three girlfriends for a week. We had junior suites along with a pool view. Our rooms were huge and quite clean, the maids cleaned our room daily which was great. The fridge was a bit crap but apart from that our rooms were a lot better than expected. As this is an 18-30's hotel, we expected it to be noisy but it wasnt as noisy as we expected. The location was exactly what we wanted, 5 mins away from the strip and beach.

The only bad thing was the food, it was vile!There are much nicer places to eat on sunny beach for around £3 or £4. We also got accused of not paying for drinks but they were mistaken and gave us 2 free cocktails to apologise.

Overall our stay at hotel diamond was so much fun, I don't understand where there are so many bad reviews, if people wanted a quiet holiday with no noise then why would they go to an 18-30's hotel?!

Room Tip: Junior suites with a pool view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank rachel27121991
Welshpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel is perfect for a group of young people going to Sunny Beach to experience the fantastic nightlife and beaches of the resort. It is 5 minutes walking distance from the strip and the nearest beach. The hotel itself is great - the staff are helpful, the rooms a decent size and are cleaned to a high standard every and the pool area is big with a very friendly atmosphere. The food isn't great but it's adequate; me and my friends just ate chips and pizza mainly! My friends and I returned from the Diamond on Tues, 26th June 2012 and had an amazing time and would absolutely recommend this hotel and resort to other young people wanting to sleep all day and party all night!

Room Tip: My friends and I had a 'junior suite' but the standard rooms were to an equally high standar...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends