“Great hotel, perfect location!”
Review of Ivana Palace Hotel

Ivana Palace Hotel
Ranked #19 of 221 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Myself and my partner (both in our early 30's) have just returned from a week in Sunny Beach - Bulgaria, staying at the Ivana Palace. I have absolutely no faults with this hotel, it was spacious, kept very clean (the maids were wonderful), the pool area was lovely and the room was very comfortable. We had B&B included but we only went down once as we usually slept later than 10am when it finished, food wasn't amazing but there was plenty of choice.
It was literally a 5 min walk to the beach with a small supermarket inside the hotel and a large supermarket a few minutes walk down the road.
There was a nice bar next to the pool with 2 for 1 cocktails, but we were never kept awake by any noise at night.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Sunny Beach, it's perfect for families and couples-young and older.

• Stayed: August 2012
5  Thank The_Marsh82
There are newer reviews for Ivana Palace Hotel

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed in the Ivana for 1 week 12/8/12. As a family of 4 we had a family room (2 joining rooms). We was on the 5th floor and our rooms where VERY BIG, clean, comfortable couldn't really ask for more. Breakfast was very basic but we ate out most days as it's so cheap. Pool and hotel very clean and well looked after. Was a bit out of the way but only a short walk from all the bars, shops and beach. Bulgaria is SO cheap and you can defo get a good bargin. The hotel staff where very helpful, we tried to change money over and they advised us to go up the road to the ATM as it would be cheaper, they could of charged us but choose to be honest. Have no complaints what so ever about this hotel and would recommend it. If you want bigger rooms and balcony request the 5th floor. Oh and Friends Bar across the road is very nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank janeqpr72
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Everything was OK, room was basic, but spacious and clean.
Food was very good.
The pool area is nice.
The location is not in the central, but close to the beach.
Wifi works only around the reception and the pool area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Just got back after two weeks at the Ivana Palace.

Like usual I'll get the bad out of the way first. The beds were very uncomfortable! Low down to the floor with lumpy pillows and sheets that would remove themselves every 15 seconds. Such a shame as I couldn't get a decent night's sleep the whole trip :(

The breakfast is a bit bland. If you like eggs you'll be in heaven. Dinner was more than adequate despite earlier bad reviews.

Restaurant manager was very rude after we mistakenly ordered two lunches (was told by outdoor bar staff we had to order from indoors, did so and both orders went through). She just kept repeating that you're only supposed to order from on place. Clearly we realised this now but only after being told otherwise. She didn't seemed to understand, either through language issues or being thick.

The rest of the staff were fine, especially liked the bar staff and our rep Slavi was great. Very helpful and friendly. Good guy.

Pool was clean and crystal clear and the rooms were always cleaned at the same time each day. We had one of the smaller rooms with no balcony but it was a nice room. Beach is close and it's out of the way from the noise and bustle of sunny beach with it's sex shops, McDonalds and English breakfasts.

Ok so Sunny Beach. Meh. We booked Bulgaria because it was cheap and I hate going to the same place twice. Bulgaria is a fascinating country full of culture, history and scenery. Sunny Beach is miles of hotels, crap shops, tack, tourists and cheap beer. Ok so I liked the cheap beer. Oh and the beach is jam packed. We went once.

I'm being too negative. It just wasn't really us.

The excursions? Fantastic. The Blue Mountains are a must. The beautiful village of Zheravna, then off into the hills for a 4 course lunch (Shopska Salad, Soup, Pork/Potato stew and then pancakes plus a glass of wine, bread and water) then you're off up until the peaks to take the stair lift down. Wonderful views. Next off is a quick drive through the town of Sliven, I actually wanted to stop! Soviet era housing, 60 year old trains, Yugo police cars meets brand new Lidl and Citroen dealerships. Interesting if you're me.

Sozopol by hydrofoil. Yes! This is more like it. Ancient ruins, churches and history. If you go by hydrofoil don't expect it to be a smoother ride than a regular boat, trust me it's not!

I was desperate to visit Istanbul but was talked out of it. Too far, too long, potential long delays at the border, not enough time to see everything etc. Booo :(

Old Nessebar is lovely but super busy! Great seafood restaurants everywhere. Don't try the marine snails! Sound exciting, dull and chewy. All that fresh fish I could have had! We ate at the Aqua Marin. 3 courses, one bottle of wine, two espressos and some Rakki (devil's drink) for £26 total price. Seriously, Rakki......UGH! It will blow your face off, especially with the size of Bulgarian measures. Be careful :)

Not sure how to summarise. If you want a cheap resort holiday Sunny Beach and the Ivana Palace are perfect (apart from the beds) but if you want something a bit less touristy then look at some smaller less obvious locations in Bulgaria.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PaulGads
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We booked two apartments in Ivana Palace for end July/early August 2012. Having read all the positive reviews on tripadvisor we were hoping to have a nice relaxing holiday, but…

On arrival, we are told our apartment had been destroyed by previous guests and was not available, so we accepted to go to another hotel for one night and got complimentary half board for the entire stay. That was very nice.

However, the place where we stayed that first night first had no electricity, then no hot water and the AC was not working. We spent the whole afternoon and evening chasing people from Ivana Palace to find somebody to deal with the situation, but they kept sending lift boys and receptionist who could not do anything. Only after we strongly protested was everything fixed around midnight and the next day the Ivana Palace reception manager reluctantly apologized and said we would not be charged that first night. That was also nice because Ivana Palace should have first checked the condition of the place where they sent us, which they obviously had not done.

Moving on: In one of the apartments the AC had to be fixed three times, and every time we complained it was not working again, the extremely unfriendly and incompetent reception staff kept showing us a paper saying it was fixed as if we had nothing better to do than bother them. One of them even told us to slam the terrace door with the foot to make the AC work!!! Again, only strong protests worked and the AC was fixed after three unsuccessful attempts in five days.

Now comes something that put me over the top and made me realize the management of this hotel is totally incompetent:
On the last night of our stay I asked to pay for the apartments with my credit card. They tried, but the transaction failed because their POS device was not working. The reception manager then called the bank and tried to fix it with a screw driver!!! after waiting for 90 minutes she told me they hoped to fix it the following morning, and if not I would have to pay in cash. I refused because changing money would mean I would have to pay more than the euro amount stated on the bill because of an unfavourable exchange rate in Sunny Beach (1.91 BGN for one euro vs. 1.95 in Sofia).

The morning of our departure meant more problems with utterly rude and incompetent reception manager and her three useless female assistants whose English language skills boil down to yes and no and “here is your key”. We speak a Slavic language so we could communicate with them and understand their Bulgarian, but I can imagine what it is like for other people who do not understand it.

First thing in the morning I got a call from the receptionist who said in a cold voice: “Come down to pay your bill.” I explained I had tried to pay the night before, and she just looked at me with a completely puzzled look. Obviously she had no clue what had happened with the whole payment thing.

The reception manager then came and tried to use the same broken POS device. It didn’t work. Then they used the POS device from the hotel exchange office, which was also broken. Then the reception manager and the exchange office employee told me I had no money and accused me of trying to avoid paying the bill. I could not believe what I was hearing. They made me call my bank in Bosnia twice, and the bank people explained to me that Ivana Palace were trying to withdraw cash from my account instead of using it for sale purposes as any other normal hotel would do. I had to argue with the reception for another half an hour. The reception manager said she did not understand what card I had because (now listen to this) she had never heard of a credit card that does not require a PIN code (SIC!) After I insisted that it was them that were doing things wrongly, they borrowed the POS device from a nearby shop in the hotel and when the transaction was successful, their faces were cold. They never apologized for their behaviour and I told them they should first check their POS device before accusing guests of attempted fraud.

My last conversation was with the hotel manager whom I told all about the unprofessional behavior of the incompetent, rude and useless reception staff and poor cleaning of the rooms. She said: “but I cannot control everything in the hotel”. At that point I realized that the entire hotel management is utterly incompetent and is doing great damage to this otherwise decent hotel.

Other points: food was good, breakfast OK, dinner a bit repetitive, would not pay the extra 7 euro, but good enough as we got dinner for free.
Restaurant staff: hard working, friendly.
Lift boys: nice and professional.
Hotel reception: rude, unprofessional and speak poor English except the reception manager who cannot tell a difference between a credit and a debit card.
Hotel manager: could not care less about their staff attempt to accuse me of trying to get away without paying.
On our departure they did not even tell us good bye. Sapienti sat!

Room Tip: Avoid 520S as the AC keeps breaking down.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was our fourth visit to Ivana Palace. It's a good 15 minute walk to the centre but you can get buses from the main road which is a minute away, the small train from Victoria Palace which is two minutes away or there's always taxis available. If you don't want to go to the centre of the resort there's loads of restaurants and entertainment nearby. Friends across the road is good for food but we went a few times to Emona which is across the main road and turn right where the horses sit and it's on the main promenade. It was good for food and there was entertainment. We've always found all the staff very friendly and helpful and this year the cleaner for our room was lovely. It was cleaned every day and clean towels always provided. We were staying b&b and the breakfast was more than adequate. Don't go expecting a full cooked breakfast like some people - I don't know why they go abroad?!!! We had a few snacks at lunchtime and they were perfect. No problem getting sun-loungers, unlike Victoria Palace last year, where it was impossible. The small shop in the lobby is very reasonable and stocks everything you need. There's also a gym, sauna and beauty room which isn't any dearer than anywhere else. There was a group of us staying from age 7 to 68 and nobody had any complaints at all.

Room Tip: This year we had rooms overlooking the side, above the restaurant so pretty much had the sun on our...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank willow731
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Staff very friendly, hotel very clean, breakfast ok, could always find something, rooms very nice, quite roomy and modern feeling, spoke to others staying who have returned a number of occasions. Nice pool, sun beds always available, was described as best 3 star in Sunny Beach, can see why.

Room Tip: was in room facing out front, pool bar stays open late so noise could be a bit of a nusceince
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family