“A very poor resort”

Kosgoda Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Kosgoda
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We quickly realised that our visit at this run down hotel was going to be poor. No one greeted us or offered to take our luggage. All the shops on site had obviously realised that the hotel was going down the pan and sold up and left empty. The rooms seemed ok when we first got there but some of the windows had warped so couldn't be closed at all. The shower in the bathroom was old and broken and just sprayed everywhere. We didn't get any hot/warm water at all no matter what time of day. Even when we informed the reception nothing was done, even a simple thing like changing a light bulb was clearly too much to ask. We paid $200 a night and was expecting a service and stay to match that over priced rate. The lunch was a joke of fish and chips that took over an hour to get to our table with a restaurant that was serving just 4 tables. We had paid for full board and one minute they said we had a choice from the Al la carte menu then said we could only have fish and chips. The main dinner was terrible and I decided not to eat that night.
There were tiles missing on the bottom of pool, which left sharp edges to step on or a child to step on.
It just felt like they had done everything as cheap as possible and cut costs everywhere they could and charged as much as they could get away with!

Even after we complained nothing really changed and as soon as we voiced our concerns and dissatisfaction all the, so called manager could say was "No Discount as such". There was no apology in the least and he just informed us that the owner had left for the day and couldn't speak to him.

We've stayed in 2500 rps a night hotels which had better facilities, better service and better food than this place.

Oh, and they don't have wifi either. Literally, every expense they could have cut they have.

Do not stay here.

Room Tip: I think whatever room you choose will have something wrong in it.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Chris B
There are newer reviews for Kosgoda Beach Resort

Reviewed December 26, 2011

Just returned from this hotel and want to leave this comment for your information.

Let me start from the end.

It has been some conflict between Ukrainean group of tourists and hotel's administration.Two girls lost their room key and wont pay $110 fee for that.This group was about ~15 tourists. I dont know how they left this hotel through closed gates, but when me & my girlfriend came after 30 min after this incident, hotel's manager (tall guy ~35 years old , with restaraunt manager or administrator i think about 50 years old with scar under his eye,dark-haired) met us with metallic stick and waved him near of our eyes and screamed us with a lot of uncensored words to our address.He had not answer for our question about the reason of this.Second manager told us that we returned keys not in time,2 minutes late (haha) but we were at reception before 30min of our check-out time.He closed the gates and didn't want to push us throw.Our taxi was waiting for us during this spectacle. Just want to say for these two, BURN IN HELL CLOWNS!!! With this communications with people you will loose all your tourists.Unfortunately I cannot recommend this hotel for vacation.

Second administrator always talked ugly, unforunately cant understand why..

Room service,restaraunt service is veeery slow.

In the last our days they didnt cooked grill, i think Manager was saving money :)

90% of tourists are from Ukraine. One guy told me when these clowns became administrators they lost visitors from Europe. You should review your communications with your clients or change your job.

Ocean is very beautifull, all units in gym were broked or rusty.

If your English is bad or you want to see & explain more details ,I recommend you to buy excursion throw yout tour operator. Beach boys excursions price is a little bit lower , but quality is appropriate.I can recommend you beach boy Sarat, you can deal with him about ane questions without a doubt.

Also some of our expensive clothes were stolen :(

Sorry about my english, hope this commet will help you to make decision.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Just M
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Minor things: No welcome drinks, hot towels, baggage assistance, no TV remote, no AC remote, only one channel was available on TV, mini-bar is locked.

Major things: Phones are not working; we had to walk down to reception to get something done.

Worst things: NO AC!! I visited with my 1.5 years kid and the family, AC machine of the room given was not functioning, they said it will take one hour to get the room chilled because the chiller is located far, blah.. blah… There was no AC even after 4 hours. Then we were transferred to another lower grade room which had an individual AC unit, same thing again, NO AC at all. Only one steward was available to facilitate entire hotel. When I complained about AC once again, they said they can’t do anything and they will have to inform maintenance and see, they needed me to wait till they finishes things with other guests to do that. By this time I am 4.5 hours with no AC, going here and there, it was 11.30 at night, and my kid had no place to sleep at that late night. I packed my bag and got ready to return, and then only some guys came to fix the AC unit along with the resident manager. No single word of apology or at least a smile, but his highly esteemed talks, saying that “see, now we are fixing it, you must not complain”. It was 4.5 hours of sweating and discomfort with least customer care I have ever experienced in a hotel. I had to return back at 11.40 PM at night with my family. The WORST hotel I have ever visited.

Room Tip: Chack AC before check in if u ever visit
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Charith J
Reviewed November 2, 2011

My spouse and 2 kids(one an infant aged 1.8 years)spent 1 night (29.10.2011), there was no electricity in the room, the bathroom had crabs in it and the receptionist was not reachable as he had convienently disconnected the phone, i had to contact my travel agent in order to have the room changed. There were mosquitoes galore . the meals were lousy and highly over priced. the room boys are an arrogant lot and the receptionist doesn't seem to understand english, all he does is to keep insisting on keeping your passport, i however declined to give mine as i could relally not trust the hotel staff. all in all a horrible experience

Room Tip: check all the amenities in thew room and only then accept the room key
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank megvin f
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We were on a 02 weeks holiday and we lost money in the room which was kept in the locker.
Be careful as some of the room boys use to steal money. The hotel management did nothing. I doubt that they too are involved in this racket. They say that they are a 4* hotel but when I checked with the Tourism Authority in Sri Lanka they are been rated as a 2* hotel which is not value for money. Food was awful and sometimes they use remaining of Dinner for B'fast in the following day morning. Unbelievable !!! Never to Kosgoda Beach Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Olga K
Reviewed September 2, 2011

My wife, 02 Sons & I spent a most memorable and relaxed weekend from the 19th night to the 21st evening when all too soon our vacation was over and we had to head back to our home in Colombo. From the moment we entered the hotel at around 8.45PM, we were extended a very warm welcome and it felt like we were back at home.For me, this was my 3rd visit in a year but the first with my family.

The staff were extremely attentive and the service extended simply fantastic. The 02 rooms we were allocated (adjoining and joint) were really very comfortable and cozy not to mention very spacious as well.

The ambiance and unique location of this resort makes it very special considering that it is virtually surrounded by water. The sea on one side and the lagoon bordering.

The food was really delicious and the menu selection was very thoughtfully prepared. Unfortunately my family were unable to experience the sumptuous buffet which I was fortunate to have experienced on my previous visits due to the low occupancy.

My family and I had had a truly wonderful time and it was one of the most relaxed weekends experienced in a very long time. Kudos to the management and staff of this beautiful resort for doing everything possible to make our stay a memorable one. we can hardly wait to get back and will do so at the first available opportunity.

If I have one complaint to make, it would be that the sea was very rough denying me the opportunity to indulge in my new found sport - Fishing. Nothing to grumbler about as the lagoon was on the other side. No fault of the management though.

I can without any hesitation mention that this is a must visit place both for locals and visitors to Sri Lanka who will without doubt have a great & memorable visit just as my family and I had.

Vinod Lalvani & family

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Vinod L
Reviewed August 17, 2011

For me and my family this is like second home. specially for my kids they enjoyed it so much. and the pool, we loved it. my son who is born autistic on the board line. never touched water and was so afraid of it . but, it was our first journey to Kosgoda Beach hotel that changed his life and ever since that day it has been a second home to me and my family. the staff thou it is limited we were taken care of and and everything we asked was provided even the meals. Some of the nasty reviews on trip advisor, show malice, and are totally untrue. All hotels in srilanka have undergone a very dark era owing to the war, and tsunami.Food is plentiful and well served by attentive waiters. In summary my husband, myself, my 2 kids, my mom and my dad thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and would definitely return again. thank you so much for everything .

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kosgoda
Heritance Ahungalla
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota
AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa
Shinagawa Beach by Asia Leisure
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka

Been to Kosgoda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!