Serene Pavilions
The Privilege(Wadduwa)
Turyaa Kalutara(Kalutara)
Citrus Waskaduwa(Waskaduwa)
View Hotel
All reviewsocean pavilionpersonal butlerbutler serviceplunge poolour honeymoonsri lankaserene experiencetwo storeymain pool is amazingluxury boutiquecandle light dinnerlived up to our expectationsdinner on the beachstayed nightssuper luxurycomplete relaxationlocal fishermen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 5, 2013

While the overall hotel setting is lovely, we were very disappointed by the lack of soul in the place. The staff we spoke with were nice but there was no real enthusiasm or passion.

The accommodation was a perfect example of the lack of soul. It is no design hotel. More an urban house scheme layout - one up, one down, complete with steep stairs and G-Plan furniture without any design sense whatsoever.

The claimed Balinese influence on their website went over our head?

The room came complete with butler which we didnt really think worked. Although he was a very obliging chap but to be honest he was more of a house boy. Anyway this didn't suit us as we wanted our privacy.

On the positive side, food was quite nice though a little limited in choice.

Maybe we are picky but we really think Serene Pavilions lacked sophistication that you would expect USD600++ and having spent a fabulous week earlier in the Maldives we were disappointed by our agents choice.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EMMDOH
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked into the Serene Pavilions at the very last minute, within 2 hours of booking we arrived at the front gate in our taxi and were initially refused entry, after about 10 minutes the manager appeared, apologised and let us in. It turned out that because we had booked at the last minute they were not expecting us, or they had not checked the booking system.. either way, were now allowed entry through the gate so everything was ok.

Once inside we were warmly welcomed by Prabeth and his team, we were made to feel very welcome. After a quick check-in we were shown to our beach front pavilion, however Prabeth was not happy with the air con temperature so we were moved next door to the Padma pavilion. The pavilions were very nice and spacious, there was a welcoming outside area with a private splash pool, shower and wc. The pavilions themselves had a large living come dining area, a kitchenette and a utility area downstairs with a large bedroom with balcony and bathroom /wc upstairs, the only internal wc was upstairs which made going to the loo a bit of a trek.

Our pavilion came with our own butler, Nalaka, who was brilliant, he catered to our every request and was there within minutes should we need anything, we really couldn't have asked for more.

One downside to the padma pavilion was that we were unable to eat outside in the outside dining area, the ants made that task impossible, they were all over the table within a couple of minutes of sitting down on the few occasions we tried to eat outside, this meant we were limited to eating indoors at the dining room table or in the main restaurant/bar building which was pretty much deserted on the couple of occasions we used it. On the subject of food, we had some really, really good food here.. one evening we asked Nalaka to ask chef to prepare us some local food, it was divine. However, on one occasion we asked for boiled eggs they were almost raw which put us off having boiled eggs for breakfast again during our stay.

Serene Pavilions was not really the kind of place we would usually book into, when holidying we like to sleep until late and then usually explore the local area and nightlife, we couldn't really do that here, the surrounding area has little or nothing to offer most visitors. Luckily we had a friend from Sri Lanka who took us out of the area for a couple of days and showed us the real Sri Lanka which was a great experience. Serene Pavilions sits right on the coast and secured constantly, but the sea was not safe enough to swim in, it was very rough, its the kind of place I imagine you would go to if you are looking for a peaceful getaway where you can laze around the pool all day and be waited on. Thats not really my cup of tea..

Its a lovely place but it won't live long in the memory..

Room Tip: The beach front pavilions are great with stunning views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan B
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Booked as a surprise for my new wife on our honeymoon this is an undeniably fantastic establishment. Feels like you’re the only guests (in a good way), all the staff are wonderfully accommodating; from the front desk to the pool maintenance staff. Our butler Namal deserves a special mention. The food is delicious, location superb, garden pavilion is top notch and frankly flawless. A high price for sure and you can play a quarter of the price and still say in a lovely guesthouse, but this is incomparable and on another level completely. If I could afford it I would live here.

Room Tip: Very private in the garden pavilion
Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed one week at Serene Pavilions and got the most ever relaxing and refreshing vacation. I wanted a Boutique Hotel where I would feel at home and not in a crowded hotel - even a luxurious or pretentious one. I wanted privacy and service and I exactly got what I wanted. Flexible and helpful staff, from my private butler to the lady who took care of me in the SPA. I also got Peace of mind with an initiation to Yoga while waking up and falling asleep with the sound of the waves.... And a UNIQUE experience, I got introduced to the Sri Lankan food from morning to evening, so tasteful and different. The Executive Chef also gave me a course on how to cook a typical Sri Lankan white and dark curry and I cannot wait the moment to invite my friends and impress them wit the receipt. Thank you!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Having had our expectations exceeded earlier in the week, our stay at the Serene Pavilions was a new experience! The area around this resort gives no hint at the experience waiting behind the resort gates! All i can constructively say is WOW! The resort is expensive, but in my humble opinion, worth every penny of the cost. There are only twelve pavilions on site, each laid out and decorated to a superb standard, and the service is excellent! Some travellers may find it a little quiet if anything, but most of the visitors seem to go there for the peace and tranquilty, which it delivers in abundance! We sometimes felt as though we were the only ones there! Oh how the other half must live! Everyone was very attentive, but special thanks must go to our butler Suminde, who made our stay so enjoyable. Thanks to everyone involved x

Room Tip: Two storey pavilions facing the ocean, single storey facing the garden, but all very secluded. I would recommend the garden ones from experience
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple