“Perfect end to our honeymoon!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Reef Villa & Spa

Reef Villa & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Wadduwa
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Perfect end to our honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed here for less than 24 hours unfortunately - wish it could have been 24 days! The place is amazing, outstanding, beautiful, words can not describe how welcoming, and relaxing is was from our arrival to our departure. Nothing was too much for anyone here. From the lovely owners, to the guys looking out for you wondering down to the beach to make sure you're safe (the waves were big that day!!!).

The chef was amazing, evening though I wasnt feeling great and couldnt eat a lot, the food he served us up was supreme, and he came and had a nice chat with us afterward - really impressed. Being one of only two parties there meant it was extremely quiet (I believe its low season in June in fairness) meant we received some excuisite treatment, and a lovely welcome with flowers, iced tea, and a tour of the place.

It was bliss, and as part of our boutique tour (this was the final leg before flying home) we'll be recommending that they look at reviewing the schedule to allow guests to spend more time of their itenerary in the Reef Villa & Spa. A fabulous end to our honeymoon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rachelandchrisp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We spent three nights here, it was the first stop on our honeymoon. The team had went to lots of effort for our arrival with fresh flower necklaces and balloons/candles in our villa. We were lucky to be the only couple here for three days so we were very well looked after. The food was excellent and the chef talked us through the tradition Sri Lankan dishes each night. The infinity pool was very relaxing and the cocktails were enjoyed in hammocks watching the sunset. I really loved the indoor and outdoor bath, very tradition and filled with flowers each night. I also enjoyed a Traditional Sri Lankan massage which was very relaxing, not to mention my complimentary head and foot massage. The grounds are lush and tropical with surrounding ponds filled with beautiful fish. We truly left Reef rejuvenated and ready for the next part of our adventure.

Stayed July 2014
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

This was my first trip to Sri Lanka and it exceeded my expectations at every turn. I picked the Reef Villa & Spa because it was highly reviewed/rated and it was further from the city and more relaxed. I arranged to be picked up at Colombo Airport and the transportation was excellent. The Reef Villa is 90 minutes (depending on traffic) south of the airport and the drive was a lovely introduction to the chaos and beauty of the country. Check-in was easy and my luggage was waiting in my room when I arrived. I stayed 3 nights in the Sepalika Suite. The suite is enormous and very well-appointed. The bed itself was perhaps one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in while on vacation. Everything about this suite was spectacular: the deck, koi pond, huge bathroom, garden shower (in addition to the regular shower.) I ate breakfasts and dinners in the restaurant and I would recommend ordering the Sri Lankan breakfast at checkin as you need 24 hours notice. Although I was the sole guest for 2 nights, the hotel property was staffed as though many more would be there and they did not miss a beat. There isn't much in Wadduwa from a tourist perspective, but I would recommend the local temple. I had an excellent guide who filled in some knowledge gaps I had around Buddhism. I also ran along the beach fronting the hotel and the local dogs (and there are quite a few) liked to give chase and bark but without any serious threat. I arranged an Ayurvedic massage at the hotel which was very good. I booked a day-tour through the hotel and parts of the tour were quite excellent: the fore-mentioned temple, and the tour through the Geoffrey Bawa estate at Lunuganga. Skip the so-called Gem Museums (actually Gem Shops) and the Spice Tour (a Spice Shop.) Transportation back to the airport was arranged again through the resort and was excellent. I would recommend Reef Villa and Spa very highly to couples or families, particularly those looking for a base to explore the southern half of Sri Lanka and/or relax.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank ebaypoet
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We reached reef after our wedding, feeling the toll of the hectic week passed. Stepping in through the gates into a little oasis lined with foliage and pleasant ambiguity paired with the warm welcome, we were already relaxing! We were able to unwind in the privacy of our spacious yet cozy room which had a wonderful antique style. The spacious bath and outdoor hot tub were incredibly inviting! The eclectic collection of artifacts and ornaments in the main house set the mood perfectly... Food - fabulous! Whether it be western or local cuisine, their unique selection, I am confident, will not dissapoint. And to complement this beautiful property is an attentive, warm and hospitable staff that always greeted us with smiles! The management was kind and flexible allowing special requests we made as well. In short, we loved every bit of it! The only downside is that time has a sneaky way of slipping by when there so I recommend a minimum of 2 nights!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank thushinatuk
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

We spent a wonderfully relaxing week at Reef Villas. As soon as the hotel gates opened we were transported into a lush paradise garden full of tropical plants and fragrant flowers leading to the Main House. There are seven suites each decorated in Colonial style complete with canopied beds and fantastic rope ceiling fans made of pleated silk. The suites had all modern conveniences including wifi, but they have the look of a beautiful era from the past. In the Main House there are several seating areas decorated in Plantation furniture with local collectables and antiques all around creating a wonderful atmosphere. The hotel is surrounded by a moat full of Koi and other exotic fish. There are outdoor relaxing areas amid the huge and beautiful greenery with wooden paths leading all around the property. The outdoor dining areas facing the ocean provided a romantic view that made every meal very special. We chose to have all our meals at the hotel as the chef was outstanding. The menu selection was varied, from local dishes to more continental ones, very fresh, prepared with great care and attention to details. The service was extremely efficient and very friendly. The staff happily provided anything we asked for. We did take full advantage a very extensive spa menu staffed with very caring, attentive professionals and the Ayurveda treatment we received was simply magical. Words and photos just can’t describe the relaxing atmosphere and care and attention provided by the best possible staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Etienne L
Cardiff, Wales, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We chose Reef Villas as a starting point (2 nights) and end point (1 night) for our trip in Sri Lanka as it was within a manageable drive to the airport (about one and a half hours) and a convenient stop off for exploring further south and east. It proved a very good choice. We booked through i-escapes but dealt directly with the property (Bernadette) in advance of our stay to arrange transport and found them very efficient and helpful. On arrival we were pleasantly surprised to find that Reef Villas is relatively small and personal with only 5 villas and 2 suites in the main house. The villas and main house are surrounded by a network of ornamental lily ponds teaming with fish and located in a large garden with a spacious lawn and coconut palms fronting the beach. We stayed in the Kekatiya and Sapumal Ocean Suite villas which are very spacious and ideal for us, 2 adults and 2 young children. They are beautifully built with old Keralan tiles and colonial style furnishings including wonderfully comfortable four poster bed and working punkahs (and, of course, air con and ceiling fans). There was plenty of room to spare even with the two single beds set up for our children. The bathrooms with indoor and outdoor shower are particularly spectacular. Each villa has a private veranda and swing chair overlooking the garden and towards the sea.

The restaurant, located in the garden served a reasonably varied and interesting menu and included children’s options. I treated myself to lobster twice as it was so fresh and perfectly cooked but all dishes we tried were excellent. If I had one suggestion it would be to improve the range of snacks available outside normal meal times; that said the spiced toasted cashews were the largest and tastiest I have ever tried. I also had a very good Ayurvedic Massage in the garden spa and my wife had a head massage. Also for our second stay we had a complimentary herbal and flower bath for two in the giant tub in our bathroom.

I can’t comment on the surrounding area as, untypically for us, we did not venture outside during our stays, which says something about the allure of the Reef’s garden. I am not sure there is anything specifically to see in Wadduwa which seems a fairly typical Sri Lankan coastal town. The palm fringed beach stretched north and south endlessly and would make a lovely walk but it was not good for swimming as the sea was rough. There were a few families with children staying on our first visit and as it was Sri Lankan New Year festivities, the staff organised some typical Sri Lankan children’s games which were great fun. This typified the great lengths to which staff went to ensure our stay was memorable.

But my abiding memory will be relaxing by the pool and playing cricket in the garden with my son and some of the other families and the staff. My son discovered cricket here and kept the very obliging pool attendants busy bowling to him. So, thank you Malith, Michael and all the staff; it is your personal touch that made our stay so relaxing and memorable.

I can thoroughly recommend Reef Villas if you are looking for a relaxing brief stop off during your travels around Sri Lanka or for a longer stay.

Room Tip: The 4 Ocean Suites each have a unique layout but are similarly spacious and face onto the garden and...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Widelytravelled45
Saffron Walden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

We stayed at some marvelous hotels during our tour of Sri Lanka, but the best was saved until last. The Reef is simply superb, in every way and we have run out of superlatives to describe the location, grounds, main building & bedrooms which were furnished with antique furniture, the spa, the pool, the restaurant & its fresh seafood. Also, the staff who were friendly, courteous, helpful and professional.

Room Tip: A small supplement will get you upgraded to an ocean view room, if available.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Voyageur775
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wadduwa
The Blue Water
AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa
Saman Villas
Saman Villas
#1 of 30 in Bentota

Been to Reef Villa & Spa? Share your experiences!