We stayed here for two nights in early August. Staff was friendly and helpful and the room was large and very clean. AC worked fine and quietly. The bed was large and comfortable. The pool was not super-clean but was OK and large enough (maybe 15 meters or so wide?) that you could do some sort of real swimming. The location is a few miles away from Colombo, so if you need to travel to the city it is not that convenient. During rush hour it may take an hour or so to reach the hotel. Wi-fi was not included in the price, but rates were reasonable (I think about 2 Euros for two hours) and speed was decent. No mosquitoes in the room, which was unexpected for these locations and certainly nice. Breakfast was good but not great, coffee awful but good fruit and several sweet and savory options.
So far so good, but there are some problems. First, the location is nice, only meters from the beach, but between the hotel and the beach (as many other reviewers have pointed out) there are... train tracks (see picture). So unless you are a VERY heavy sleeper you can only sleep soundly between about midnight and 6AM or so. Commuter trains will start in early morning and wake you up. It's not just the noise, the whole room vibrates when a train goes by. Second, the beach is very nice but (as is sadly the case with many beaches in Sri Lanka) the water is very polluted and the beach is so full of people that are after your money that if you are a westerner walking along the beach can a rather stressful experience. Third, we had dinner at the local restaurant in the hotel one evening and it was awful, really awful. I ordered a simple fried fish and it tasted like dry tuna kept in a freezer for 6 months, passed in batter out of a plastic bag and fried in poor quality oil.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at 10km south of Colombo, the largest city of Sri Lanka, also renowned for its ancient ruins and histories. Berjaya Hotel Colombo consists of 90 rooms equipped with contemporary facilities with simple and soothing interior. For business purposes, thriving conferences and meetings are to be held idyllically at its Royal Room and 3 separate meeting rooms. On savouring the convenience Berjaya Hotel Colombo offers, guests may also utilize the amenities provided. From water-splashing in the pool to luxurious sunbath by the beach, the fun goes on. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Cancelon, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Berjaya Hotel Colombo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berjaya Mount Royal Hotel Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia
- Berjaya Hotel Colombo Sri Lanka/Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia