“New Years eve at MountLavinia Sri Lanka”

Melbourne, Australia
“New Years eve at MountLavinia Sri Lanka”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

A family friendly hotel with good service
The friendly staff made our stay most enjoyable.
The New Years Eve Ball was fantastic starting out with a parade of the 25 Chefs who were manning the sumptious Buffet.
I am definetely going back.
Cedric and Arlene Dirckze

Room Tip: Ask for delux rooms above reception as these have been refurbished.and away from rail track.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cedric D
Lilaani de S, General Manager at Berjaya Hotel Colombo, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to note that you had a memorable stay at our Hotel and value the complements expressed by you for our Chefs and F&B team for the sumptuous buffet, service and entertainment offered at our Gala 31st Night Gala Dinner Dance.

We are planning to complete refurbishment and re-launch our property in mid March, 2013 with comfortable & well appointed bedrooms, quality food and service in our F&B outlets for our valued guests. Looking forward to welcoming you at Berjaya Hotel Colombo in the near future.

Berjaya Hotel Colombo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Polish first
North of England
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel several years ago and had no real issues about booking it again. It's a nice basic 3-star beach hotel. However, I was in for a surprise when I arrived. I booked it through the BA Exec Club and assumed the hotel was fully operational and fit for purpose. Sadly it wasn't. This review is difficult in the circumstances because based on a previous stay it was acceptable. This 90-room property is (or was) undergoing major renovation when I checked in for 3 nights on 3 December. I was extremely disappointed as the only guest in the hotel. I don't blame the hotel for this, as I didn't make my booking direct with them. However, there was only one functional restaurant. I was taken aback on my first day at breakfast when I noticed all the lids on the hot food trays were open. This meant the food was essentially luke warm or cold. I brought this to the attention of the front office manager and he took it onboard and made amends the following day. Another issue was the swimming pool being under construction. It was an eyesore (see pic). All in all I was very disappointed with my stay, but don't blame the hotel entirely. It will be interesting to visit again when they are fully operational to gauge it again then. The rooms are basic but functional. The hotel itself is noisy through internal, street and passing train noise. The tracks are right opposite the hotel. Access to the rooms is via external corridors that back onto the street. I would check with the hotel to ensure it is fully operational before booking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kevinjames
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and we regret the inconvenience caused to you by the major refurbishment being taken place in our property, and we are now pleased to inform you that the Hotel will be upgraded with well appointed bedrooms, swimming pool, other facilities and quality food & service once the Hotel completes the upgrading & refurbishment in mid March 2013. We earnestly hope you will visit our Hotel during your next journey to Sri Lanka and we deserve to give you the best comforts with pleasure for an enjoyable & peaceful Holiday.

Travelers are raving about these Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia hotels

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The hotel is average in all terms, be it services and amenities. Not worth the money.
The only thing nice is it's close proximity to the sea and the wonderful resturants on beach!
The breakfast buffet had quite a lot of variety. Though al-a-carte for dinner was very limited in terms of availibity.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank payal_lal
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife & I along with my brother & his wife stayed at this hotel for over 2 weeks, the service from all of the staff was first class,The rooms were very clean & comfortable ,yes it is next to the railway line but at least its close to the beach which was great for our morning & evening walks ,the staff went out of way to make us feel at home, there was a few renovations going on but its for the best,I will use this hotel when I go back for a holiday.I like to take this opportunity to wish the management & staff all the very best.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tyrone h
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

It was the most expensive place we stayed in Sri Lanka and we got the least from it.
Arriving from the airport we thought we would be getting the best accommodation just to get the air miles out our legs but as soon as we got our room we needed to get out as quick as possible.
Disappointed on the price of the accommodation.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Stuart D
Singapore
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We were a group of three that went to Colombo for the T20 world cup. Had to settle for Berjaya as all other hotels were full. The hotel is really very far from the airport (almost a one hour drive). The property looks old and its located next to a railway track. The path from the hotel to the beach is dirty and full of garbage. Reception folks could barely speak in English
The positives were - Good service and a better breakfast (traditiional srilankan food)

Room Tip: Dont take the room near the track!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rahul G
Madurai
Reviewed September 27, 2012

First up all, I thank each and every staff of Berjaya hotel for make my trip pleasant and safe; as it was my first trip to Colombo and I was solo traveler. First they gave the room very near to railway track and on my request they changed my room immediately to better location.

Their service was average. Few of front end staffs were not friendly but others smiled and greeted me most of the time. Hotel taxi fare is time higher then actual (for Rs.1000, they are asking >2000). So better avoid hotel taxi. They should improve a lot in customer service.

Currently only half part of their hotels is available for booking and others are under complete renovation. So you can hear drilling sound through out the day along with Train sound. But in night, it is completely different environment.

Complementary breakfast is simple but good enough to feed my stomach. One day I had my dinner with complementary cocktail near pool area which was very good. There are plenty of beach side restaurants are available near to the hotel. Don't forget to take a dinner at 'LOON TAO' chinese restaurant just back side of the hotel.

My only concern with this hotel was the internet facility. They need to provide Internet facility free atleast for the system at Lobby. This will help the travelers to check their important messages.

I may go there again.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms near to reception area. So that you can't hear nasty train sound.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,258 reviews
Mount Lodge
Mount Lodge
#4 of 10 in Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia

Been to Berjaya Hotel Colombo? Share your experiences!