“Delicious food & friendly people”
Review of Charcoal - CLOSED

Charcoal
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Our space has a Cafe, an Art gallery,an open Terrace and lessons in Art & Music. Our Cafe, is a community hangout for all music lovers. The most played genre being Jazz. However, we do play Rock & contemporary music now and again. The food!! This is what we all look forward to and something that warms our hearts and brings about togetherness, gives us joy and comfort somehow. The food we serve is always freshly made. There's nothing like fresh food. We offer Sri Lankan coffee,tea, Signature Burgers, freshly made sandwiches & desserts that are the whipped together in a frenzy of creative & exuberant passion. We hire our space for Theme parties, coffee mornings, tea parties & meetings. There are a few rules about smoking - only tobacco and only on the terrace after 7pm. Our facility offers two art galleries 'The Dutch Entrance' and the 'Sunset Terrace' could be rented for exhibitions, book launches, poetry readings, plays, live acoustic music and other art related events. We encourage freedom of expression in every form. We've got all kinds of creative classes to get your imagination going and fine-tune those skills & that dormant right brain!!! Presently, classes are offered in Art Education, Piano & Guitar lessons. Do enjoy our space at Charcoal and take full advantage of your right to express freely!
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Charcoal is a comfortable cozy little place just 5 minutes away from the beach. The food here is great ( though I wish the portions were a little bigger). The family that runs this place are just wonderful - they're always friendly, polite, and smiling. I came to Charcoal almost daily because the food is delicious and very affordable. Hint: Try the Hawaiian burger for lunch or the waffles+ice cream for something sweet. The roof terrace is also a nice place to chill when the weather is good.

1  Thank Ralmzy

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The first time I walked into Charcoal, I felt giddy with excitement. A friend had recommended Charcoal to me, and indeed, rightfully so.
You are welcomed by the bright nice smiles of the 'Charcoal boys', as we would call them, who are eager to facilitate you. You can find books, music and art comfortably adorning this little cafe. The food is also great, and served within 20 minutes tops. Especially the little mushroom toasties, chicken Hawaiian burger and the all-day-Breakfast which had us going back for it, over and over again.
I simply love the place and the concept of such a little getaway where we could take our laptops and surf away on the free wiifii, while sipping expresso and slowly grooving to the jazz.
Its a must go-to-place if you ever visit Mount Lavinia.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

During my almost two-months-long stay in Sri Lanka I ate in Charcoal many times. Their All Day Breakfast saved my life several times when I was fed up with hoppers and rice. Vegetable Quiche is delicious, toasties better than anywhere else, hawaiian burger became my favourite - together with all the cakes and cookies (!!!) it made a perfect lunch. Try their coffee and Elvis Presley's Favourite Pound Cake and enjoy the atmosphere. Because Charcoal is not only about the food - it won me over by the artistic style, jazz standards (sorry for singing along!), the nicest waiters and their general, always friendly attitude. It quickly became one of my favourite spots in Colombo, spent there hours writing and relaxing. They also organise different Art events - exhibitions, parties, painting lessons and many more. I really miss this cosy, gallery-like place - I recommend it to everyone, especially people with an artistic sense - you will love it! :)

Reviewed August 30, 2013

The food here is good, but the problem is that the portions are small for what they cost. Also be warned that the coffee is good tasting but weak. I wonder if they know how to brew it properly? I had a sandwich which was served on huge pieces of good tasting bread but there was only one slice of processed chicken on it with a few greens. I left feeling hungry. The location is good if you are visiting Mount Lavinia. I could also do without the background music they play which is too loud. With a little bit of fine tuning, this could be a nice place.

12  Thank Lawrence B
Reviewed August 14, 2013

i really want to like this place... small cafe, but i somehow like the people running it. They seem as if they lived in the UK or Europe and have come back to their native land in Sri Lanka, so the place has a nice vibe. My cheese cake slice was honestly too small for the price but was excellent and the cappuccino was weak, but somehow I didn't mind. Friendly and a well to do ownership and a nice vibe with sleek silky voices singing...make it worth the stop

8  Thank HappyTravelerGina