Mount Lavinia Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Mount Lodge(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
View Hotel
Ceylon City Hotel, Mt Lavinia(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
View Hotel
Palms Mount Lavinia(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
View Hotel
Anarva Mount Lavinia(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
View Hotel
Berjaya Hotel Colombo(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
View Hotel
Rivi Ras Hotel(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
View Hotel
Tropic Inn Hotel(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
Royce Hotel(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
Confifi Marina(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
2,886 results
All reviewsprivate beachcolonial hotelseafood covemount laviniagovernor's restaurantsri lankapool terracedirect ocean view roomhigh teaindian oceanlobby managerseafood restaurantold worldoverlooking the seamain restaurantcolonial stylecolonial feel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We booked 12 room in 2009 for 3 nights and enjoyed our stay, business conference, team activities and all the facilities available at the hotel.

Food was perfect with variety of options to choose from.
Rooms were specious.
Staff, check in & check out, travel arrangement was quick.
They also arrange for special welcome in traditional Sri Lankan style.

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Hasd stayed for 4 nights and the rooms are actually sea facing,, i mean literally no barriers.. the sea looks awesome from the balcony. The Breakfast service is wonderful especially the doorman with in his colonial uniform.
They allowed me and my fiends a late check out as well and took extra care for all services. We did manage to go to the spa and it was awesome, felt like heaven , would certainly recommend.
The best part of the entire Sri Lanka stay.
Will surely visit again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a few days and really love the dinner buffet they provide, though the only best choice you may have instead going out nite. You need to take taxi and not easy to get one on time.

The bad is the room is old but thats what you will get for this colonial style hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I completely understand the cultural heritage of this hotel and I am sure that in its glory days it was a wonderful place to stay but time has moved on and the hotel is falling apart.

We payed less for far superior places in Sri Lanka and I have stayed in many places around the world but this has been the only time I have ever walked into a room and refused to stay.

The walls and carpet had stains but it was the condition of the bathroom which really cased me and my partner to go back to reception to ask for a new room-it was filthy!

We offered to pay more money for better quality but we were told that the room we were given was the best the hotel had. They proceeded to show us another room in a different part of the hotel-it was better than the original but not by much.

The staff did their best and the food was quite good-variety and all and being right on the beach (hence the overall rating). We did see some of the renovations being done, but the quality of workmanship was not great-this place deserves better.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank luvtravel03
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2014

Dear Guest Thank you for taking your time to bring areas of improvement to our notice. We are pleased that you enjoyed your meals here. Since renovations are been done, we can guarantee a better stay for you in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Mt Lavinia Hotel is certainly grand looking from far, however a close look at almost everything reveals just how old it is. Mostly I found this to be part of the charm of the hotel, knowing its history, however there were a few things that I felt let the old charm down. I would return there and recommend it as a Sri Lankan experience that shouldn't be missed.

Firstly the good:

Mostly the service is very good- especially if you have an issue or complaint they seem to rectify it very quickly.

The pool terrace is amazing- great view and beautiful pool. we basically spent hours and hours there on lounges each day.

Seafood cove: choosing our lobster and jumbo prawns, having them weighed and cooked to order and eating on the sand on the beach- pretty special! Loved it.

Rooms are clean modern, simple but nice and all seemed to have water views.

Free wifi. Can see a few reviews on here suggest it is not included- it was for us, never had an issue except that it doesn't reach the beach.

Private beach: lovely straw umbrellas, very few people on the beach. very rough waves but that didn't bother us- we were there in monsoon season after all.

Locally revered hotel: I really got an insight into the culture a bit differently here. just experiencing it you understand why the locals get married there and have pictures there- it is a place with some real history.

Breakfast: They know how to do a buffet. local hoppers, curries and other delights as well as western on offer. eating outside on the terrace each morning was lovely.

A few disappointing things (which would not stop me returning- they were minor but you should be prepared for them!):

The musty smell and low ceilings in the old, ugly hallways leading to the rooms were a real turn-off, though the rooms themselves have been updated. Once in the room, no issues. Actually the initial room we were in smelled a bit of cigar smoke however one call to the reception and we were promptly offered three alternative rooms which were shown to us very quickly- and with an apology explaining all rooms are actually non-smoking so this is unusual.

Service on the pool terrace was a touch hit and miss. We had one waiter, I think his name was Mahesh, who was excellent. really attentive and hence we spent far more and drank far too many cocktails and actually ended up having dinner at the terrace restaurant because he was so good! However on the first night we arrived, we had to ask no less than 3 different waiters for a drinks menu and eventually after more than 15 minutes waiting for one I got up and went behind the little waiters station and found one myself. Some excellent, really friendly service and some that I had to remind myself I was in a third world country.

Finally the gym. If you could call it that. to treadmills that are basic and broken, slipped each time you ran above an 8. You also have to request a key for it even though it is free to use and I found this a bit of a hassle to go get a key from the foyer and take it back etc.

As I said, issues were all minor so don't let them turn you off, just be aware- overall it was a lovely place and I really enjoyed the stay, the pool, the beach, the food and experience and would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for recommending Mount Lavinia Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our services and venues as well as the breakfast buffet. We apologise for the little inconvenience and are glad to inform you that refurbishing of the old rooms are underway at present while preserving the old-world charm. We respect you for taking time to understand the local culture and the culture of this heritage hotel. We would gladly welcome you gain during your next visit!