“Arriving from London”

Mount Lavinia Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Arriving from London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

On our arrival after a 10 hour flight, this hotel was beautiful. I suffer from Coeliac Disease and the Hotel Manager and Catering Manager was there to meet me on arrival to discuss / advise food options. When I later went to the restaurant the chef's were all at hand to advise which buffet foods were safe. The buffet dinner and breakfast was excellent. There was a band playing outside by the pool and coctails were made fresh and the best i've tasted. The beach had a beautiful setting with the spa and seafood restaurant.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cat D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (695)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

went with family of 2 kids + 3 adults
got good value suite..great views & food
mosquitos a problem however..so take lots of citronella,
lots of restaurants to eat nearby & great walks along long beach & nearby town..safe to walk

Room Tip: high floors not direct ocean view..too close to sea
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Santanna_de_Alwis
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Wonderful experience during my stay last week. My room was facing the sea and the view was awesome. Excellent staff, great food ( the Buffet spread was too good), great service. We had a beach party which was a nice experience. Special thanks to Randy and Lakshman for extending all their help and support during our stay.

Room Tip: Select the sea facing rooms in the new block.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

We had a wonderful few hours at Mt Lavinia. Stroll along the beach to the turtle sanctuary where we released some turtles back into the sea. Drinks on the deck at Mt Lavinia Hotel watching the sun set. And then a delightful buffet dinner, first class, and made a more memorable experience by the attention of Noel. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Jonathan C
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

The Mt Lavinia Hotel was my first stop of my tour to Sri Lanka. On the second of three flights to get there, I busted a molar in half and I was panicked. It is not how I wanted to start my holiday. When I finally arrived ten hours later, I told my Mt Lavinia-supplied driver, Dhammika (more on him later), I told him of my predicament. He explained it was a national sacred holiday and that no one was working, yet he drove me to a few hospitals in Colombo and he was right. He was genuinely concerned. Nothing and no one was available.

I checked into the hotel, told the manager, Oshantha. Amazingly, within the hour, he found me a dentist. Dhammika drove me there, made sure all was safe, and for the rest of my tour, it was Dhammika who drove, translated, negotiated, and took care of me as if I were his family.

Back to the hotel. My room was right on the beach. I could hear the waves. The room was terrific. The food was fantastic. I loved everything about this hotel. I made the mistake of booking a hotel in Colombo the next night. I should have stayed put. The Mt Lavinia Hotel is quite close to Colombo, so easy to use it as a base of operation.

This hotel had, by far, the very best of air conditioning of the four hotels I stayed in. In a country as hot and humid as Sri Lanka, this is incredibly important.

Anyway, thank you to the manager, Oshantha, and especially to Dhammika, for rescuing me and taking such fine care. You made my journey so much fun. I will never forget it.

Room Tip: I really enjoyed an oceanfront room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Terry D
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Having stayed at this Hotel in April 2012, my wife and I decided to stay for Two Nights here again, when we visited Sri Lanka in the first week of June 2014. The trip from Melbourne was long, having to transit from Singapore. Again we requested and got an Ocean View Room. For those who have not been here, let me tell you that the view into the Indian Ocean is absolutely breathtaking.
The room had all the comforts one asks for. The Food once again was excellent. The quality & the service in all areas were superb.
Again I must congratulate the Chefs, for maintaining the standards which we were very happy with, two years ago. I will certainly stay in this Hotel in my next trip to Sri Lanka. An additional plus was the free Wi Fi access.
Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Request an Ocean View Room. Just watching the waves break is so relaxing
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kingsleyhe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

We love this hotel for the beautiful outlook, sunset, beach and food. The breakfast is a fabulous feast!
If you want to sample Sri Lankan food but still have all the options and have easy access to Colombo this is the place for you.
Dig your shoes in the sand at the seafood restaurant on the beach!
Great for relaxing with a pool, beach, gardens, bars and hotel shops!
Pool bar service can be terribly slow at times.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,214 reviews
Royce Hotel
Royce Hotel
#5 of 10 in Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia

Been to Mount Lavinia Hotel? Share your experiences!