“MLH no longer the hotel it use to be”

Mount Lavinia Hotel
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We had the worse experience in August this year when we had our wedding in MLH. The event organiser was willing to give his arm and leg at but the question was did he have the power to do anything. A big hotel with a lot of staff but when it comes to errors, mistakes and failures no one is willing to take a blame. The following are a list of failures
- no umbreallas were offered to guests who had to soak in the rain
- paid full price for a full lit hall/ hut but only 30% was lit
- paid full price for beach illumination but it was only 20% of what was shown in the photographs
- paid full prices for a bon fire but it was lit up at 7pm and the fire subsided by 8pm
- paid Rs2000 per table decor for exotic water flowers but it was done with flowers from shrubs of Sri lankan back yards eg wathusudda
- paid Rs4750 per head for a meal but the string hopper pilau(main stach item) took 40min to be refilled so people lost their apetitie/ disatisfied
- there was no prawns ready when we (bride and groom) had their first meal
- started folding chairs while the party was still going(2315) on even though extra payments were made till 1am
- our room was not cleaned since morning ie had to ask for a broom to clean the room when we got back(wedding night)
- lunch remains left outside room door was still there at midnight
- no complimentary/promised fruit basket for the wedding couple
- no complimentary/promised cake for the wedding couple
- MOST IMPORTANTLY LOST A VALUABLE WEDDING GIFT AT MLH
This is what we paid for our wedding. Needless to say MLH is able to hold nearly 4-5 weddings at a given time. One wonders where the interests of this organisation is now! I don't think it will take too long for people to realise.

Room Tip: Make sure you select a side that is serviced frequently
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DocVE
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to write to us on tripadvisor. Whilst we sincerely apologize for the shortfalls from our part we would like to ensure that we have taken measures to ensure such will not be repeated in the future. I believe our director, catering and conventions have got in touch with you already in regards to this matter. Whilst we wish to stress that this is not in line with the high standards we have set for our performance, we have taken the information into consideration to provide a better and customized service in the future. Whilst expressing my sincere apologies once again, we hope that you will return to our iconic heritage hotel by the sea.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We were staying in the same street as the Mount Lavinia Hotel (at the tiny Mount Lodge homestay), and decided to treat ourselves to afternoon tea. We weren't disappointed. Dainty sandwiches and savoury pastries, scones, tarts, iced fancies and chocolatey treats, accompanied by a refillable pot of Ceylon tea. It was our last afternoon at the end of a 3-week holiday in Sri Lanka and a lovely way to round things off. The hotel's setting is lovely with the sound of the sea below and a distant view of Colombo city without the urban bustle. We studied the menus for dinner. They looked very tempting. But we had already planned dinner at Mount Lodge. Another time I believe we would stay here for a couple of nights and hope that the standard of the food lives up to its description. Back to high tea, though. A friendly staff member advised us that one tea between us would be sufficient. As it happens, it was. But go for one per person if you are feeling gluttonous!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IntrepidHector
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear reviewer we are delighted that you enjoyed our spread provided for high tea, hope that you would stay with us on your next visit to our beautiful island.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

A very good property at the other end of the Colombo, most of the rooms facing Indian ocean and good spacious rooms with good service. Points to note.
1- pls check "POYA DAY" the full moon day as it is called in Sri Lanka and none of the bars , restras serve alcohol so one must have own arrangement.
2- hotel is at other end of the city, so it is preferable to have full day cab on disposal as the cost is very low, 50 US$ for a day along with travel in the city.

Nice place, great property ( actually Governor house during RAJ ). Must visit

Room Tip: Sea view even at ground floor is amazing
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank manishkag
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear reviewer thank you for the wonderful points noted about our hotel, the hotel was a mansion which housed four British governors and has a timeless love story rooted to the hotel. Hope to indulge you again in the future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Have stayed at this fantastic hotel since 1993. This year my wife and 9 month old baby spent 2 great weeks at the Mount Lavinia during the T20 cricket period. We were treated so well. They even cooked food for our baby each day to give her some variety and they did not charge. The staff were awesome as always and nothing is too much trouble.

The food is superb and the terrace must be the most relaxed place to chill out with a cold beer.

Anyone travelling to Sri Lanka you must stay here.

To the MLH team thanks for making our honeymoon so special, see you in a couple of years.

Romesh

Room Tip: Bay wing has large rooms and a great view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Romesh L

Dear guest we are extremely pleased that you chose to visit us again, whilst thanking for your repeated patronage we hoping to see you again at our property.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Hello, fellow travelers ... If you are planning a trip to Sri Lanka but dont have much time to travel around this amazing Island, then consider breaking up your stay between the Mount Lavinia Hotel and a centrally located hotel in Colombo. (see my other reviews of the Colombo Hilton & the Galle Face Hotel). The Mount Lavinia Hotel is located about 12 Km's from Colombo and about 60 mins from Bandaranaike International Airport. The traffic is a nightmare so allow yourself plenty of time when heading back to the airport for your departure. Okay many years ago when I first visited Sri Lanka for work purposes we were accommodated in the Mount Lavinia area and I remember going for walk along the beach after I had checked in when I got my first glimpse of the Mount Lavinia Hotel. There it was this amazing white grandeur hotel perched up high on a mount over looking the Indian ocean. I said to myself that one day when I return Sri Lanka this is where I'm going to stay no matter how much it cost me. In April this year I decided to do just that and I booked my accommodation online and was thrilled to find sea view rooms for $AUD119.00 per room, per night. When you arrive at the Mount Lavinia Hotel you are met by door staff with what it seems to be very old world British uniforms which compliments the exterior of the hotel. The check in process was good but not excellent, however this was due to the number of guests checking out as I arrived so it was mayhem. Having arrived early in the morning I was thankful when they made an effort to prepare my room as quickly as possible rather than having to wait for the standard check-in time. So after been offered a cool drink I was taken to my room by a member of staff from the concierge desk. The room did not blow me away, I mean it was not what I had envisaged.. I thought I would have this old world room, however it was quite modern and simple... It reminded me of a typical beach style unit...in saying this though it was comfortable, clean and the views from my balcony.. well what can I say .. Amazing !! All staff at the hotel are friendly and courteous and will do anything to make your stay a memorable one. When you stay here you need to walk around this grand hotel.. Some areas are kind of spooky and you can almost feel what it was like over 100 years ago..anyhow let's talk about the amazing array of food at the hotel...again amazing... I could not stop eating... Breakfast is excellent with plenty to choose with both local and western choices. Lunch and dinner menus change and provide various buffets or Al Carte options. The food is incredible and I give it 5 stars. You can eat your meals in the fancy Govenors Resturant or the out door Terrance or if you love seafood head down to the hotel's private beach & Resturant... Very romantic but I was solo so I just ate at the Govenors Resturant and people watched. Now of course let's not forget the famous Governors High Tea on the terrace...Yummy!! ( how come the tea in Sri Lanka always tastes better there and not when I make it at home? :)). Now outside the hotel complex the Mount Lavina area is not very attractive but you learn to appreciate it. There are many locals that live near by but the area is full of budget hotels of which many sit right on the beach. So if you a staying at the Mount Lavinia Hotel you have the option to spend your time at the hotels private beach or it's public beach. I liked the public beach as you get to meet the locals and their families plus there are some great beach bars as well. What's interesting also is that their is a train line that practically runs just on the outter of the hotel and through the grounds of some of the beach hotels.. Quite interestings. Now shopping my favorite topic... Okay for those that love shopping then there a a couple of places outside the hotel grounds but these are the usual souvenir shops... If you take the main road as you exit the hotel grounds and follow it to the end about a 20 min walk you will get to a small Odel store... It's okay but if you have the time go to the original Odel store in Colombo 7 now that's worth a visit... Fantastic western shopping for both men, women and children. You can take a Tuk Tuk there it's takes about 20 mins or so, then if you want you can visit the house of fashion, not as good as it use to be but worth a look and cheaper than Odel although there is no comparison. Majestic City and Lucky Plaza are very ordinary and really not worth visiting unless you want some local items. Have a look around the Galle Road area heading south of Colombo towards Mount Lavinia.. In this area you'll see some interesting stores that are quite modern.. For example I bought some beautiful leather shoes for work and 12 slim fit business shirts that were incredibly cheap, hence why I bought 12!!. Anyhow my stay a the Mount Lavinia Hotel was a memorable one and I would definetly go back again... The real highlight for me was their overall service and their amazing selection of foods. For those wanting access to Internet the hotel sells internet cards that you can buy for 24 hours periods which will give you access everywhere within the hotel complex. Money change places are always better than changing your money at the hotels.. So there are a few on the main road outside the hotel grounds. Apart from a number of Sri Lankan weddings that were being celebrated their during my 3 night stay and the hoards of tourists on tour buses.... It's definetly worth visiting and I recommend it for business, couples, family, friends and the solo travelers like me. Hope you have enjoyed my review!!

Room Tip: When booking your accommodation at this hotel definitely go for the sea view rooms in the new wing o...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank lon19

Dear Guest thank you for choosing Mount Lavinia Hotel as you’re point of indulgence. We are happy to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we will be more than pleased to accommodate you once again.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here for a week during the T20 cricket World Cup and enjoyed it. Check in and early check out was efficient, with a packed breakfast on check out. Service was friendly and efficient and food excellent. This is the home of Slow Food in Colombo. We loved relaxing at the poolside and sundowners on the terrace.

Room Tip: We loved the fourth floor room in the new wing.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank leila16

Dear guest thank you for staying with us at the mount Lavinia hotel, we hope you enjoyed you’re stay with us as much as the cricket. MLH is proud to be the pioneers of the slow food movement in Sri Lanka and we strongly believe in the farm to table concept.

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Quintessentialy. British I only stayed one night but would definitely return it was like stepping back to the days of Empire the staff were so courteous food excellent only fault if it can be called that is the adjacent rail line

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank daveywavey1

Dear reviewer thank you for writing to us, it’s always nice to hear back from a guest. We wish to indulge you again for longer on your next stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia
#7 of 10 in Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia
The Blue Water
The Blue Water
#3 of 10 in Wadduwa

Been to Mount Lavinia Hotel? Share your experiences!