“The best ever Sunday buffet”

Governor's Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
“The best ever Sunday buffet”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We arrived in Sri Lanka for our annual 3 month winter break this January. My brother who resides in S.L. took us out to the Mount Lavinia hotel for for their Sunday brunch buffet, what an experience it was the best buffet I have been to, the choices were endless. For starters poached salmon, smoked salmon, live oysters,freshly prepared crab, prawns, mussels and many more items were on display. Go very easy here as you are in for a surprise as to what you are going to have for your mains. The bounty comprises of a Sri Lankan rice curry with about 20 accompaniments absolutely delicious and that's not all the western food was medium rare roast beef, roast lamb, various grilled meats, freshly prepared fish, Italian, Indian and south American delicacies all served with freshly prepared vegetables, salads, chips and roast potatoes. We had a long break before we attempted to try a dessert there was at least 20 to choose from including hot and cold western and Sri Lankan classics not forgetting the fresh mouth watering tropical fruit.
We have been to many a buffets around the world but this is the real deal costing around £12 per head we were so impressed that we visited the hotel on 3 different Sundays. "Bloody good".

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank sandrachandra2000

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Great ambiance, average food, excellent dessert!!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We visited the Governor’s Restaurant at the esteemed mount Lavinia hotel recently and found it quite to our liking. We chose the buffet menu which had quite a spread ranging from salads to meats to desserts.

The salads menu was quite average and we found the non-veg items specially the smoked salmon lacking in freshness. There was also only one option for the soup. We also sampled some fresh fruit juices which were out of the main buffet menu and found the serving size to be rather small. Moving on to the main dishes, there was quite a spread that included sausages, beef kebab, grilled pork/chicken and prawns. There was also the ever present Sri Lankan cuisine counter which was well represented. The best item was the grilled pork which I loved.
The desserts also had a good variety and I though the crème brulee was out of this world. Special commendation to the team on that and would definitely recommend that you visit even just for this.

The ambiance and setting were also very nice with the option of sitting inside or in the porch or even on the pool terrace. The service was also quite reasonable though the front desk had not marked our reservation. We also found out that the theme of the night which was “Australian BBQ” was not well represented in the menu as a whole.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Shahe A
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Ants!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Still suffering from food poisoning/stomach infection after my first meal there. Tables close to the wall have ants all over - made me feel nauseous.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank jaywalking_jay
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Its a "Theme Night" yet nothing to be excited about.! !”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is my second visit within the past three months and honestly I was not impressed on both of the occasions. My last visit was on a Saturday night, a theme night (Chinese - Latino - Cuban). There were a wide variety of dishes, yet i failed to recognize anything significantly that I could call Cuban, Latino or Chinese. Just because you served salsa as a garnish or used yellow corn, black eyed peas & cilantro in a dish, it does not become Latino. I failed to taste anything Chinese as well, there were some dishes made in cooperating soy sauce and as I say it did not became Chinese. Unfortunately, I could not identify anything Cuban either.
There were lots of traditional curries no doubt, real Sri Lankan treats, hoppers station, roast chicken, roast pork with au-jus, grilled snapper and another grilled white fish tasted like halibut.
I can see Chef Pubils wanting to keep his traditional Sri Lankan cuisine alive along side with the theme nights yet I think as a guest I was misled by the "Theme nights" and honestly I can say it is a business decision made by Mt Lavinia hotel to charge a guest SL Rupees 2600 net = 21US$ for an buffet that should be valued at SL Rs.1500 - 1600.
Over all great ambiance, great view, good service, good food and definitely not worth what you are asked to pay for such a meal.
Live Jazz is definitely a treat for your ears while you are been taken for so call "Theme Nights"...

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank ramanayake
Granada, Spain
“Beautiful colonial ambience”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Great varied menu and, though it is a large, lofty colonial room, the pillars seem to subdivide the big space into numerous smaller. So there is a surprising intimacy to the eating experience. It is also fun that the restaurant tables and service spill out into a large pavilion and further on to the sea-view terrace. Great breakfast buffet, as good as you will find anywhere in Sri Lanka. And a whacky wine list with a good selection of New World wines at incredibly competitive prices.

Visited April 2013