“Can't wait for my next visit!”

Mount Lavinia House
Ascot, United Kingdom
“Can't wait for my next visit!”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

A frequent visitor to the beautiful island of Sri Lanka and to Mount Lavinia House its only fair to share my experience of a great place to stay .... Mount Lavinia House is simply stunning!

The first time I arrived in 2008 was a 'WOW'! moment ... such a stylish and individual 'Boutique Hotel'! This feeling has not gone away and on each visit I am reminded why I keep coming back!

I anticipate the warmest of welcomes as I get closer to my ‘home from home’ and look forward to the always delicious and refreshing 'welcome' drink (watermelon being my favourite) ... very appreciated after a long tiring journey by plane, train, tuk tuk or car!

The architecturally designed house has witty and quirky corners .. the atrium with its amazing staircase leading up to huge colonial and beautifully styled bedrooms .. the atrium's floor to roof mural wall, cushioned comfy corner area and more formal sitting area with its intriguing apothecary cupboard... the top floor chill out room is an ideal space to laze on the day beds with a good book, watch the sun disappear beneath the horizon or star gaze over the Indian Ocean at night-time .. The whole house is airy and open with lots of wood and marble floors to keep the bare toes cool even on the hottest of days.

I love the 'inside out' swimming pool .... for an early morning energy boost back stroke ... to idle away hours gliding through the water or just floating on my back in the tropical sunshine ... the pool is just perfect ... not huge granted but big enough for a leisurely swim or a float.

Tucked away in the residential district of Mount Lavinia its a walk along the beach to the grand old dame .. Mount Lavinia Hotel ... where it pleasant to indulge in ‘Tiffin’ or Afternoon tea ..The beach is a stones throw ... well a short walk down a narrow private drive actually. Its great to have a selection of beach restaurants on your doorstep all along the beach front..

The railway line is at the bottom of the garden. On my first visit I wondered if it would bother me .. hearing the trains clacking by, however this to my mind adds to the character of the place, its authenticity... It connects one to the rhythm of the island .. There is not a constant rattle but an occasional train passing by and since Sri Lankan railways have recently invested in upgraded quieter Chinese trains I find I miss the clickerty clack of the old days!.

I would really recommend a trip into Colombo which in recent years has developed into a modern city, albeit in parts it really is the old and the new sitting side by side. The old ‘Dutch Hospital’ has been given a make-over and now in home to smart shops and restaurants. A lunch in the faded splendour of the ‘Grand Oriental Hotel’ in the ‘Harbour Room’ overlooking Colombo Port has the added bonus of a panorama of ships navigating n and out the harbour. Heading back from Colombo along the Galle Road visit the Crescat Shopping Mall which has a food court located in the basement – try the Masala Dosa at the Indian Veggie Stall ... very tasty thin pancake rolled with spicy potato served with sambar and chutney- delish!! Also a visit to the Galle Face Hotel almost opposite to have a sundowner G ‘n T and watch the sunset into the Indian Ocean is a most memorable experience.

Mount Lavinia House also has some apartments next door that are let short or long term, I was shown around by the owner on one of my visits - as is the main house these were very individual, spacious, stylish and very comfortably furnished. I have have already planned my winter retreat in my retirement - 6 months at No 4!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SueLuker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I have recently returned from our second stay at this truly wonderful hotel and have now booked to return for a few days over New Year! We were this time in the adjacent apartments which were spacious and well equipped. The welcome was warm and genuine, the breakfasts lovely and dinner in the beachside restaurant was outstanding! The manager, Harendra, was so attentive and could not have been more helpful to us in planning our days. I must add however that such an idyllic setting makes it too easy to stay put!! Thank you to the staff for another amazing stay.

Room Tip: Main house good but we liked the apartments even more.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed at Mount Lavinia House for 5 days in October and enjoyed the stay very much. The staff were welcoming and were very happy to prepare drinks and food, or its a very short walk to the beach and a great restaurant if you prefer - you have to try the battered prawns! The house is very stylish with comfortable, clean rooms and the pool which extends from inside the house to the outside of the garden is fantastic - a fresh towel even appeared by magic on the side of the pool for when I finished my swim.

The hotel staff are happy to assist with making travel plans and arranging taxis. This made it easy to get into town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Me and my mum stayed here the first week of September, and upon walking in our first words were WOW! The house itself is beautiful inside and out and has been decorated tastefully highlighting the Sri Lankan art and cultures.
The pool stretches from inside the main room downstairs out into the beautiful walled garden, allowing you to escape inside from the heat - and the brisk thunder storms!
It is a quiet retreat if you prefer to be away from the hustle and bustle of the hotel, only a stones throw away from a gorgeous beach. Yes - the trains the pass woke me up on the first night -but after that I got so used to them they didn't bother me. This is the case wherever you stay down the coast because the tracks run all the way down the coastline.
The owners also have apartments opposite if you wanted a more villa type experience which are equally as amazing.
There is a room upstairs at the top of the house where you can go and lounge in as well as downstairs, the view is unbelievable.
It is very clean and quiet providing a very relaxing atmosphere.
I would definatly recommend and go back to this house, both me and my mum had a fantastic week!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank JoAynsley21
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed 1 night instead of 2. We were in the house next to the main house, which felt very strange, especially since there were no other people staying throughout the hotel and the pool (looked unclean) and games (great!) were in the main house. The hotel has lovely furnishing, and the two rooms were actually a 2-bedroom apartment (convenient) but we didn’t need that. It felt lonely.
As we were right beside the train it was a) noisy and b) left the floor incredibly black; walking from shower to bed already got your feet black with soot. Better cleaning?! Breakfast was ok. It felt strange they put us up in the adjacent house when the main house was empty. We checked out very early in the morning but did not get a refund for our second night, which is the tip of the iceberg and resulted in the poor rating. The 2nd night we stayed at the Mt Lavinia hotel for USD 20 more and were in a 20-fold x better hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
england north
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed at Mount Lavinia House for the first 3 days of our trip - in the suburbs of Colombo but far enough out to have that 'beach feel', though still urban. It is a small guest house, in a beautifully designed and maintained neo-colonial house, with a swimming pool which amazingly stretches from inside the house into the garden. The garden itself is a beautiful walled oasis, but accept that the railway (which runs all the way along the coast here) is just over the wall at the bottom of the garden. We weren't bothered about this - or crossing it on foot directly onto the beach and the beach restaurants, where there is a good choice - our favourite was La Voile Blanche. The staff are very accommodating and friendly (although their english is fairly limited) and our room (with a balcony looking out to the ocean) was clean, adequately (though not extravagantly) furnished and very comfortable, with aircon. Lovely breakfasts.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed March 11, 2012

this is a beautiful colonial style building, which didn't compensate for the atrocious service, the room not being made up or cleaned, and no fresh towels. There wasn't even any soap in the bathroom. The room was beautiful but lacked furniture, apart from a bed, so there was nowhere to put clothes etc. They were very short-staffed and the young man who appeared to be the only person there most of the time, spoke almost no English. The manager seemed to spend all his time at the hotel restaurant, which is on the beach and across a railway line. That's ok in daylight but we didn't enjoy walking back to the hotel in the dark, even with torches. There have to be better places to stay near Colombo.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple