“MitiMiwiri...a unic experience!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ibo
Miti Miwiri Guest House
Ranked #3 of 3 Specialty Lodging in Ibo
Coimbra, Portugal
“MitiMiwiri...a unic experience!”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I've just came back home...but my mind still there, still around those islands, still dreaming with that small paradise.
I've travelled along Mozambique for more less one month...but I did no find any place so unic as Ibo island, maybe because and for my unic experience at Miti Miwiri...
I planned to stay on Ibo just for 2 days but in the end I decided to stay longer (1week!)...because I wanted to discover more about the beuty of that island and the Quirimbas Arquipelago.
Thanks to Elder and Jorg, the two owners of Miti Miwiri, I really enjoyed my experience on Ibo, and that's why I think that sometimes people make the difference in one place...
Elder and Jorg are a real good team, they know how to deal with local people and they know how to sort out any problem...unic people in a unic place!
MitiMiwiri was build by Elder and Jorg, basing on the ancient portuguese colonial house...all its interior is impressive and everything remind to the colonial period! The rooms are really big and decorated in African style...simples but really nice, that's what I really liked them! If you are an active person MitiMiwiri is the ideal place to go: Elder and Jorg can offer to you many activities to do on the island...kayaking, tracking to other island, bycles...but if you find just a place to relax, MitiMiwiri offer a peacefull garden where you can read a book laying on a amaca!
The only negative point there?...I took a lot of kilos, as the food is really good!!...that's because of Serena, a cute and smart italian girl, who since few month arrived at MitiMiwiri and joined the French (Elder) and German (Jorg) team...she's the kitchen manager, and what I really liked about their food is that is simple but with unique flavour. I liked the idea to combine the mozambican and italian food: italian bruschetta, banana soup, matapa and a really delicious grilled lobster in a butter,lemon and garlic souce!...
Now it is easier to understand why I loved so much that place...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Asia F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed 5 nights in total; the original plan was just 4 nights but since the airline (CFA) we had booked our flight back to Pemba with, forgot to pick us up (true story!!!), we had to stay an extra night. Joerg and Elder, the co-owners/managers, were super extra helpful and efficient in re-organizing our trip back to Pemba and then to Nampula. Big thanks to both of them, you did a great (stressful) job there!

Which reminds us : should you fly back to Pemba, make sure to confirm with the airline or travel agent 24h prior to flying, to double check the flight schedule!

Miti Miwiri is a very laid-back, back-packer's style, easy and charming type of place. A little heaven on IBO, where all cultures and people mix. The atmosphere is very welcoming and relaxed. They serve very good food (which you need to order in advance but they still manage to come up sth tasty for us, even that one time we had forgotten to pre-order). So, flexibility is part of what they have to offer. They really go the extra mile to satisfy the guests' needs!

We enjoyed the relaxed Mozambican pace there, to chill-out after a walk or an excursion in or around IBO ... Good music in the evening, good bar and a selection of books, should you run out of stuff to read! And you get the free company of two adorable kitties who love to snuggle close to you if you let them!

Our double room was clean and tastefully decorated. It was cleaned daily, which we had not expected in this back-packers' type of accommodation. A few suggestions to the owners, as discussed with them : add some useful furniture to the room, so guests can organize their luggage while staying there, instead of having the bag stacked on the floor. Add a few shelves and hooks here and there to make it easier and more practical. And something on the big roof terrace to enable guests to hang their personal towels, snorkelling wear and clothes out to dry ...

Miti Miwiri is very involved with the local community; there's always locals hanging around (which is confusing because you don't know who is staff and who isn't), which adds to the very multi-cultural welcoming ambiance. Maybe Staff uniforms may come in handy at some point? ....

Wake-up calls are not necessary because the local community around Miti Miwiri starts their day just before the sun rises and you can hear everything from the room... So forget about sleeping in and welcome the symphony of a wide variety of noises : kids, chicken, birds, goats, motorbikes, brooms on the floor, etc. ... Interesting, to say the least!

Elder and Joerg are passionate about Ibo and its surroundings and can tell (and sell) you anything you wish to do in and around Ibo. They know the area very well and are very helpful with valuable info you need!

Internet connection (not wifi yet) is available on their laptop, at the bar, for a reasonable price. It's slow but it allows you to read your emails at least! And no one else offers it on Ibo at this time.

They have their own generator and you'll have electricity in the room from 5pm till 10pm only. Just a matter of getting organised. Wanna read later than that? Bring your head-lamp ;-)) Elder mentioned that Ibo will have electricity from the mainland by end if this year, so that might change a lot of things! Let's hope hot showers will replace the cold showers by then!

Thanks again to all the Staff @ Miti Miwiri and special thanks to Elder for his efficiency in dealing with our unexpected "missed" flight!

Kate (USA) and Val (Belgium)
July 2011

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bullesdebleu
Slovenia
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Just back from Mozambique. Stayed at Miti Miwire for three nights. We had an upstairs room which frankly wasn't made for anything more than sleeping and then getting the hell out of it. Not even a chair where you could sit down for example. The bathroom is pitch dark. The worst thing about it though is the noice. We had a "pleasure" for being there for the weekend when the local "disco" (which is just around the corner) produces the most terrible music ever at the loudest volume imaginable. All night long of course (with the help of a generator). Add to this the noice from the garden which the room faces and where the bar and sitting area are and you'll get the idea... And at 5:30 AM the cook (who I must say is really nice and prepares tasty dinners) already starts sweeping the ground around the garden. Joerg, the owner, is also a nice guy. Very helpful. He gives you all the info needed. He can also arrange a trip with his motorboat to the sandbank, shipwreck and Matemo island. Won't be cheap though! One thing he could do is to introduce his staff to the guests cause you never know who is an employee and who is just hanging around there. There always was at least ten people (teenage boys) lying around the place, especially in the evening. It took me two days to figure out who the barman is. Wouldn't hurt if any of the staff spoke some English also... All in all Ibo is a good jump off point to the other Quirimbas islands, but one day there is enough in my opinion. Make sure you start arranging any dhow cruise around the Quirimbas archipelago waaaaay in advance otherwise you'll be stranded on Ibo and won't get much further than the Matemo island (as in our case unfortunately).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank evelinca
MitiMiwiri, Owner at Miti Miwiri Guest House, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Hi Evelinca

I was not on Ibo at the time you stayed on Ibo but I believe there was effectively a problem with a local disco which created problems to us and other hotels on the island. Fortunately, the new mayor of the island has addressed the issue for the well being of everyone.
As regards to the problems in the room I must also confess that "Fatima" the room you slept in was not the most pleasant room and we have brought it up to standard joining the other rooms in overall comfort. We have added a table and chair and put more light in the bathroom and a fan for cooler night sleep. But the best is the private veranda overlooking our garden.
As regards to the teenagers hanging around Miti Miwiri, once again your critic raised questions as regards to the correct approach in our politics. We always favored relationship and encounter amongst tourists and locals but we also now acknowledge that travelers are often looking for a place to relax. We have now prohibited teenagers to stay around and although we still favor encounters we are more careful about how we do it.

Finally as regards to our staff not speaking English, you have to understand that we try as much as we can to employ people from the Island. This of course comes with difficulties in finding the right staff implies a long and continuous training. However we are happy to say that our patience paid off and we have now key staff who speak and/or understand English.

Although I think you were a bit strong in your opinion, I still thank you for the critics as it surely helped us in improving the experience for other travelers.
boston
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We booked four nights at Miti Miwire Guest House, but left after two nights. The rooms are basic and cheaper than the big resorts, and the bar is pretty. The location is right on the beach which the dhow drops you off, and is as much as a center of the town as this tiny island has (it is noisy, especially in the morning when you are trying to sleep). Jorg the german who owns and runs this place is lovely, but it's his Mozambique wife who has major problems with customer service. We booked dinner the day before, and it had to be prepaid. We waited for over three hours (dinner was scheduled for 7, it didn't arrive until 10.30!!), which was really frustrating when you are hungry. They would not reimburse the money I paid (which is expensive for the island), and the few other restaurants were closed by 8pm. We had no choice but to wait, and when dinner arrived the cook, Jorg's wife, was rude and insulting. She kept saying she works on Ibo time as her excuse, but I doubt any native to the island would be happy to wait over three hours for dinner. To top it off, dinner wasn't very good, especially when compared to the wonderful meals served at the Ibo Island Lodge. We had to deal with them the next day because we were staying at their guest house, and she was continually rude. We left after two days because this woman was ruining our holiday.

We transferred over the Ibo Island Lodge which is more expensive, only to find another couple who had the same problems as we did and also had left Miti Miwire! If Jorg got rid of his wife (at least for his business), this would be a much more welcoming place to stay. I would not recommend this guest house, unless you like to pay people to be rude to you, in which case, this place would be great.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tangleloft
MitiMiwiri, Owner at Miti Miwiri Guest House, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I will be clear and concise to respond to this review. As the owner of the place I know that this comment is not based on a true experience. Jorg ex wife was no longer living on the island at the time of the supposed time of stay. In fact she had not been living on the island since September 2009. Who ever wrote ,based it on a true comment from April 2009.

I do not know who wrote this review and why but please use trip advisor as a useful tool to inform and not to twist the truth to defame.
PARIS
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Miti Miwire is an experience more than a guest house!
The place has been renovated from a typical colonial portuguese ruin to a very nice place where everyone is welcome (tourist AND locals, which is rare in this country). This is has been pleasant to experience such a clever example of tourism development and locals integration in this remote part of Mozambique.
Food is great, although a bit more expensive than in other local restaurants but is a very tasty mix between locals and western styles. (try the breakfast!!)
Thank you to Elder for those 3 wonderful days we spent at Miti Miwire!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank oissel76
milan
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Miti Miwire is the perfect example of a dream, Two friends travellers settling down on a paradise island to start a project and more importantly a dream. From their venture Elder and Joerg have made a fantastic guest house and a marvelous island.

Alhough still in construction on the upper floor, the service is fantastic and they are very keen on improving existing infrastructure. They certainly offer the best value for money on a remote island off the coast of Mozambique. They are friendly and always with a smile on their face. Giving the tips that no other place gives. Working closely with the community they had no problem in telling me that they are small local restaurants which although simple offered good food at a better price than at the guest house. Following I tried different local restaurants and their own restaurant. I can just say that the food was the best I have had in Mozambique and although more expansive it was worth it.

I can only thank them for the good time they offered me on Ibo. If any one goes there just tell them that Fabio says Hello.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ricardao
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2009

Visted Miti Miwire for 3 nights in April. Was met at the plane by Jorg (german owner) and taken by motorbike to the guesthouse.

It's a lovely renovated from ruins guesthouse, with the bedrooms downstairs completed and work being done upstairs on more rooms. There is a lovely courtyard and bar and table area. The rooms are large and nicely decorated with nice bathroom.

Miti Miwire offers day trips to Quirimbas island (2 hr walk at low tide), the lighthouse or the sandbank. I went on the Quirimbas island trip on one day with the guide which was very pleasant although a fair walk. Once on the island we looked around the local village and enjoyed the lovely beach there before taking a dhow back to Ibo.

Breakfasts or any meals are not included in the $US 55 room rate. However you can choose to eat at Miti. Service in respect to meals has a lot to be desired. I waited 2.5 hours on the first morning for cereal as they were not prepared for my arrival and had no milk (despite having booked several months prior.) They also had no water to purchase or softdrinks until the second day. And because there are effectively no shops on Ibo there are no alternatives.

Dinners can also be arranged by request and also take a very long time, so don't expect to eat earlier than 8.30 even if you are there waiting at 6pm. Jorg's wife prepares the meals and can be testy and quite abrupt and rude on ocassions, making you feel like an imposition. Once meals do arrive the food is good however quite expensive for the island.

A few of the rooms have windows on the street and can be very noisy with locals loitering in the streets until late and around very early. Due to the building works on the second floor I was also woken each morning before 7am with banging and noise- not what you want on a holiday.

Ibo itself doesn't have nice beaches but is an interesting island and worth a quick trip.

Miti Miwire is a new establishment and so they would do well to take note of the feedback in respect to service and personality of peripheral staff (i.e. Jorg's wife). As little things like insulting guests ruin a persons holiday.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ibo
Cinco Portas Pensao
Ibo Island Lodge
Ibo Island Lodge
#1 of 3 in Ibo
Ulani Lodge
Ulani Lodge
#2 of 2 in Ibo
Azura Quilalea Private Island

Been to Miti Miwiri Guest House? Share your experiences!