“Paradise Found!”

Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Paradise Found!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

What an absolutely awesome experience and stay! Words will not capture the absolute breathtaking beauty of Medjumbe Island. What more could you want besides your own tropical private island only enhabited by a few hotel guests and friendly staff waiting to serve on your every call.

From the moment we dealt with Medjumbe the experience was pleasant. Bookings were handled efficiently and all our flights went according to plan. Flying to the island in a small plane is an experience in its own and one can take in the scenery of the surrounding archipelago.Dont forget to look out for the whales as they are regularly spotted from the air.

Staff at the hotel are well trained and always friendly. The GM, Victor regularly stopped by our table over meals for a chat and to ensure we were enjoying our stay. As we were celebrating our wedding anniversary, the hotel surprised us with a private dinner on the beach. They even went through the effort of baking a cake to mark the event!

If you enjoy good food, then Medjumbe will delight you with a new menu every day for lunch and dinner with fresh seafood being the order of the day. Crayfish (lobster) is a regular feature on the menu and how better to enjoy than fresh off the grill. These meals are well complimented with a cocktail from the talented barman who always took delight in recommending a new rendering.

The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Each bungalow has its own splashpool, deck and lazy hammock to simply sway away the day. The rooms are all located right on the beach and going for a dip simply envolves stepping of the deck and onto the beach.

For the Scuba enthusiast, Medjumbe offers some of the best Scuba Diving I have ever experienced and the whole area is situated in a marine reserve. There are a variety of dives that can be done from shallow coral reef dives to deep wall dives where if lucky, you get to spot the big game fish so well know to this part of the world. The resident Sports Manager, Jamie will galdly accompany you on your dive and knows the best spots. Dont forget to take your underwater camera!

Whale Watching is also popular at the resort and all the guests that went out on a trip managed to see quite a few of the beautiful animals.

A walk around the island takes about an hour or so and you will be treated to a wide variety of pretty shells that litter the beaches. The lighthouse on the eastern side is the focal point of the island and makes for great pictures.The birdlife on the island is also amazing and you will make some friends with the local weaver colony comingto visit you during meals.

I can go on and on about what a special place Medjumbe is, but you simply have to go and experience it for yourself. I look forward to returning to this magnificent paradise in the near future!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 9 to 13, they have the best beach.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Phillip M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
New York City
Reviewed July 7, 2012

After a week of safari related activities on the mainland we headed to Medjumbe for some sun and relaxation. While a bit of a pain to get to unless you're already in Mozambique, the hike is worth it, and Medjumbe is what we now compare all beach vacations to. Medjumbe really is a lovely private island and the posted pictures speak for themselves. The cabanas are nicely appointment and it was great to have the plunge pool. Our days generally consisted of hanging out on the beach, walking around and/or doing an excursion. The service was excellent (I referred to Paolo as "MBP" (my boy Paolo)) and very attentive. If I have anything negative to say, it would be that after 4 or 5 days the menus get a bit repetitive in flavor, although that's not to say it wasn't good. For example, upon arrival we asked for a snack and they brought wine and one of their local "lobsters", which was potentially just caught hours ago and was fantastic.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Pamplona, Spain
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Medjumbe was a great positive surprise and I loved my stayed there. The island is incredible, extremely pretty with an amazing white sand beach which enlarges in low tide and gives amazing views of the ocean. Walking around the island allows you to discover its wonderful birds, crabs, the lighthouse or enjoy sunbathing. Sunset is great.

The sea is also great with cute coral small reefs easily accessible swimming when the tide is low. There are very nice coral reefs to go snorkelling in a short boat trip as well. One of the nicest I have seen after French Polynesia. I also went diving and the reef was indeed very nice (re some comments in diving, I am not such an expert but Medjumbe offers a very good diving experience with colourful reefs and fish). I also enjoyed seeing some dolphins in a boat trip.

One of the best things of Medjumbe is its staff which is incredibly helpful always with a smile in their face. The manager is also very helpful and discrete.

Rooms are simple, very comfortable and with a nice sea view. Food is amazing, sea food and fish is fresh from the day, lobsters and crayfish is incredible and I really enjoyed every single meal there.

Moreover, the island is a private location and tourism is not very developed in the area which means no tourists boats around. I would really recommend Medjumbe to everybody looking for a peaceful holidays in an incredible island.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank pmorlab
Pamplona, Spain
Reviewed June 26, 2012

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank pmorlab
Harare
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We went for a romantic break and enjoyed the privacy and the paradise the island has to offer. It is truly a beautiful spot, clean white sand beaches, azure sea and when the tide goes out you have miles of crystal clear water to walk..... the food was amazing - and if you love freshly caught seafood - you will be in heaven. The service is excellent and the staff friendly, helpful but not in your face. Enjoyed lazy days on our own private pool deck with the sea just metres away and lunch brought to us. Walked around the island - 40 minutes max.... the bungalows are luxurious inside, with a choice of showering under the stars or bathing inside -- a room with a view right to the horizon.... just magical. Ask for dinner on the beach in front of your bungalow one night - sand in your toes, the waves lapping close by...... We knew as we flew in ... we were going to land in paradise, and that it is!

Room Tip: Book bungalows on the opposite side to the Activity Centre so you are more likely to have total priv...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Lesley-Anne F
cape town
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from Medjumbe Private Island where we spent a week. This is definitely the most romantic place I have ever been to and I did not know that it was possible to find such natural unspoilt beauty. Firstly, just to let you know that LAM have bought a new aircraft and they were on time both going there and coming back!! (Apparently they have been blacklisted in Europe but they seem to have upped their game). The flight from Pemba to the island (around 40 minutes) was quite breathtaking as you could clearly see the different reef formations, the colour contrasts in the sea and the different islands. The individual units were beautiful - four poster bed with mosquito nets, ensuite bathroom with bath and shower and an outside shower. They are all on the beach and quite private. Each has a small private pool but there is a big pool outside the restaurant/bar area. The maximum number of guests is 26 which ensures that you don't feel that you are at a "resort" . The food was very good, beautiful seafood and very well prepared. All food has to be brought to the island. As the island is surrounded by a reef, the water is incredibly calm and at this time of the year the water is bath temperature. Bonus - no mosquitoes now, mosquito season is between June and September. We did some waterskiing - fantastic on the flat water, went on a sunset cruise to the nearby unpopulated island, wnet kayaking around the island - very safe, no currents, went snorkelling one day - the coral formations are beautiful and plentiful but the fishlife, although quite diverse, was very sparse. I have been to 2 mile reef near Vilancoulos much further south and that was like being in an aquarium - unbelievable. We didn't do scuba diving but new equipment had just arrived. Jamie runs the sports section there and we found him to be very accomodating and helpful. The shells are beautiful and we found some magnificent shells on the beach. The island is small, it takes only an hour to walk around it.
Tanya was the masseuse and she probably wrestled Minotaurs in a previous life! I say this as a compliment! She has unbelievably strong hands and gave the most wonderful massage. The knots just gave up, knew they had lost the battle....
All in all, I cannot recommend it highly enough if you want a romantic time-out in a beautiful place that will restore your soul.

Room Tip: The rooms are all on the beach, there are twin bed rooms as well as rooms with a kingsize bed.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mandygCapeTown
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My wife and I spent long and hard looking for the perfect honeymoon destination. We finally, after long deliberation and research, decided on Rani's "Medjumbe Private Island".

All I can say is we made the right decision! Our 7nights, all inclusive package was definitely money well spent. You only have one honeymoon. You'll never have that time back. The trip to Medjumbe was everything and more than we had hoped for!

From the weather (obviously not guaranteed), the service (impecable), the accommodation, to the activities ("edge of reason" dive was one in a million), were a dream come true!

Victor (Island Manager), Billy (Activities manager) and the rest of the island staff were such a great team! They never missed a beat. When we arrived we were told to simply ask if we needed anything and due to my laptop charger being stolen (laptop brought purely to move photos and videos from devices) that statement was put to the test.

I ended up using the activities computer and even Billy's personal laptop to move photos and videos. The staff all really went out of their way to help us in every way.

The Island - Pictures and video will never do this magical place any justice! Seeing is truly believing. Though, believing wasn't always easy. It almost seemed too good to be true. We loved that at high tide the ocean lapped up the beach just five metres from our deck and that at low tide, we could walk out almost a kilometer, looking in all the pools left behind and seeing the island from a whole new perspective.

The snorkeling - was great! Lots of amazing coral and variety of fish life to enjoy. When we got back on the boat the crew would offer us a cold water or cold drink. Again, the service was out of this world and always with a smile.

The diving - Being an avid diver, I was really excited to dive this beautiful location and I wasn't disappointed :) One particular dive site "the edge of reason" (an advanced wall dive that drops off to 870m!) was life changing. HUGE variety of fish life. The corals, fans... Ah! I will remember that dive for as long as I live.

The food - Variety (Considering this is a remote island in Mozambique) and incredibly prepared. We had choice of chicken, steak, lamb chops and loads of seafood during our visit. The seafood though, is to die for. The chefs REALLY know what they are doing when it comes to crayfish :)

I could go on and on, but will end here. To ANYONE considering this as an option (especially you honeymooners) take my advice, JUST DO IT! I promise you won't regret it :)

Thanks again to Victor and his wonderful team - you made our honeymoon unbelievable!

Room Tip: Room 9 was amazing! Bigger deck that spreads out infront rather than to the sides. Room 14 is the mo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort
Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Bazaruto Island
White Pearl Resorts, Ponta Mamoli

Been to Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort? Share your experiences!