“Nice But Noisy”

Gladstone Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Jamestown
Reviewed September 9, 2008

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Gladstone in order to be in Jamestown for his mother's 90th birthday. We didn't arrive at the hotel until after 2am due to delayed flights and missed connections (thanks United). Even at that late time the front desk personnel were very friendly and quickly checked us in.

We stayed in the Lewis & Clark Suite, #249 I believe, which was large, clean and nicely decorated with a television in the living area and also in the bed area. The king size bed was very comfy with nice pillows. The bathroom was teensy with no place to set anything down, except on the back of the toilet, which was very annoying. Don't hotel designers ever think about all the stuff us girls bring with us? We also had an ironing board and iron, small fridge and a coffee maker. The cord on the coffee maker was so short the whole unit had to be set on the floor to plug it in!

Okay, all the above is livable, but the real reason I won't got back to the Gladstone is the NOISE. Read my lips: PAPER THIN WALLS. Having our neighbor leave his television running all night our first night (and you can bet we were tired after that trip) was bad enough, but the kids hit the indoor pool (which our room overlooked) by 8am and didn't stop screaming until 10 at night. We could clearly hear every single game of Marco Polo. We could also hear the people in the room next door, although they were talking in normal speaking voices. This is a shame because there really is nothing Gladstone can do about it except do a very expensive soundproofing remodel.

Hotel has a restaurant and bar, although when we wanted to meet up with family in the bar Sunday evening, it was closed. Didn't use the restaurant, but it looked very busy in the mornings so it must be okay.

So, in summary......the Gladstone is very nice, clean and well taken care of with a friendly, helpful staff. Stay there, but make absolutely sure you remember to pack your EAR PLUGS!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank shelrit
There are newer reviews for Gladstone Inn & Suites

Reviewed August 9, 2008

We chose this property based on other reviews, but it was disappointing. The hotel is old. The bathroom in our room was very small and had old fixtures. The hallway leading to our room was dirty. Overall, it was not the hotel that others have described in their reviews. Basically, it is an old, tired hotel. If we are in the area again, I will choose something nicer and newer like the Holiday Inn Express

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2008

I live in hotels and visit my home on weekends. I was a little leery when i pulled up to the Gladstone. One never knows what to expect with an "independent hotel."

The Gladstone was delightful. Many of the rooms have a theme. One room I saw had a baseball theme. From the bedspreads to the decorations on the wall and ceiling, there I was smack-dab in-the-middle of the baseball game! Another room was a throwback to a visit to Grandma's country home. It was a most pleasant experience.

Very friendly staff. Very clean property.

Would I stay at the Gladstone again? Absolutely yes. When in Jamestown, you should, too!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank DennisConroy
Reviewed September 25, 2007

I was there with co-wokers for a conference. We all were very pleased with our hotel rooms, the restaurant and the meeting rooms. We were told about the updates in the property, nice job the place looks great.

Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank Noni4you
Reviewed September 27, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Gladstone Inn over Labor Day weekend. We were in Jamestown for a wedding and this being our first time in Jamestown, we didn't know what to expect. I was a little leery of staying at the Gladstone Inn due to the review below that referred to mice, but I am glad that we did.

Because we booked at the wedding group discount rate, we stayed in a standard poolside room. The room was clean, it had two queen beds, a mini fridge and having easy access to the indoor pool was great. My only regret is that we didn't book a "speciality room." The Gladstone has several rooms that come with a theme. I don't know all of their names, but they varied from "the lavendar room" to "the outdoor room." I think staying in one of those rooms would have been fun.

The hotel is right in downtown Jamestown across from the Sports Hall of Fame and it was convenient for us since it was also walking distance from the St. James Basicilia -- a beautiful church! We didn't have the opportunity to eat at the restaurant in the hotel, however we did stop for coffee at the Railroad Cafe in the mall across the street. That cafe had the best brownies and the nicest servers!

If we ever end up in Jamestown again, we will be staying at the Gladstone Inn.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 2honeymooners07
A TripAdvisor Member
Jamestown, North Dakota
Reviewed August 7, 2005

My brother and his family stayed at the Gladstone after a long weekend in Minneapolis. I had suggested the Gladstone because I had stayed there numerous times with good accomodations.

We got into Jamestown late on Sunday night and my brother and his family went directly to the hotel. They got checked in and went to their room. After they were in the room, the children began screaming. They saw a mouse. My brother chased the mouse around the room and it got out the door. My brother looked underneath the bed and found crumbs and other items underneath the bed. When he got into the bathroom, he found that wasn't cleaned completely either. He went to the front desk but all they said was that mice sometimes get into the rooms while the housekeeping staff have the doors open. If that is a problem, they should call a pest control service.

I wouldn't suggest staying at the Gladstone.

Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Minot, ND
Reviewed November 10, 2004

I've stayed at this hotel in the past, but each time that I come back it keeps getting better. They have added wireless internet, and exercise room, and have the nicest pool area that I've seen. I stayed in their new Getaway Suite on Nov. 6th, 2004. One of the best experiences I've ever had at any hotel. This place is really changing for the better.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member