“Better stay somewhere else.”

Grand Forks Inn & Suites
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Apple Valley
“Better stay somewhere else.”
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Checked in on 9/5. Expedia charged my card on 9/4. Even though I already paid for the room, a day in advance, using Expedia, they needed to see my driver's license and take an imprint of my credit card. Then I was asked to sign a form that was somewhat blank because they had printer problems. Oh, I also had to give them my phone number. When I refused to sign the form because I couldn't read what it said, I said they could catch me in the morning when I can read it after they fixed their printer. Then we left to go to a wake. They effectively locked me out of my room, even though my stuff was in it because I didn't sign their form.
BTW, carpet was filthy and the drape was broken so I couldn't close it completely. When I signed the form, after they fixed the printer, they gave me two keys that worked.

Now, if I can only remember not to use Expedia again, and never stay at a Howard Johnson's again, I'd be ahead of the game.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank mah7925
Lindsey V, Front Office Manager at Grand Forks Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback in regards to your stay with us. We strive in customer satisfaction. I apologize if our policy was not explained properly and was new or different for you as this is a common practice in most hotels. We ask for ID verification and phone number from every guest for the safety of all guests and if there were ever an emergency we would have a way to contact you. Our credit card policy is also the same for each and every guest that walks through the door regardless if they have a pre-paid reservation or not. We are currently in the process of renovating our hotel, but I have addressed any concerns you may have encountered with the appropriate department for review/corrective action. I would like to speak with you in regards to your stay with us please give me a call at 701-772-7131 or email me at lindsey@grandforkhojo.com.
Thanks Again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Winnipeg
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Arrived at 3:55, gentleman (who apparently prefers to CONSTANTLY sniff, than blow a runny nose...) at front desk had to radio with cleaning staff to see if a room was clean and available. My look of confusion must have been evident as his response was "well check in isn't until 4". 5 minutes early and rooms aren't ready. They had no record of my poolside reservation which was booked and paid for 3 weeks prior. The entire check in process took just over 15 minutes. NOT fun with 3 young kids running around lobby. we finally got into a poolside room. I went to look out window and door to see pool...window was clearly not washed since last visitors, and door was disgusting. I asked a cleaning lady who was 1 room over if she could fix that up for us. She rolled her eyes and said yes, then never showed. I didn't fight it as for fear of annoying the cleaning lady-who knows what she may be capable of doing! Pool area was decent. a tad run down, but ok. We stayed 2 nights, and first day I made note of a black unknown clump of mystery on the pool deck....during our last swim on the last day, low and behold, the mystery clump hadn't been touched. Overall Impressions... Personnel - poor, room - meh, cleanliness - brutal, pool facility - decent at best. I guess you get what you pay for. Not likely to return though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank Laurel R
Lindsey V, Front Office Manager at Grand Forks Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback in regards to your stay with us. We strive in customer satisfaction. I have addressed any concerns you may have encountered with the appropriate department for review/corrective action. We apologize you were unhappy with your stay. I would like to speak with you in regards to your stay with us please give me a call at 701-772-7131 or email me at lindsey@grandforkhojo.com.
Barnesville
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Parking lot full of drifts of cigarette butts, plastic cups, and other garbage. No restaurant on site even though it says there is online and in the rooms. No mention at check-in either so that left the bartender to do the explaining to guests. Lounge is smelly with crappy plastic cups. Not even pizza available. We were told we could bring food in to the lounge if we wanted. When the employees are out taking their many smoke breaks, perhaps they could clean up outside. What a mess! At check-in only 1 clerk on duty so waited in line for over 20 minutes to check in. Breakfast is a noisy, dirty free-for-all that we will never experience again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank Shelley H
Lindsey V, Front Office Manager at Grand Forks Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 21, 2013

Travelers are raving about these Grand Forks hotels

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Booked poolside room, arrived and got keys to a poolside room, only to find that other people were already in the room, even though our keys opened the door. Back to desk, assigned another poolside room - bathroom ceiling tiles were moved and obviously some repair was going on, used hand towel on counter and garbage in garbage pail. Assigned 3rd poolside room, this one appeared OK.
Went to the pool area through the poolside door of our room. Couldn't re-enter the room through the poolside door. I had locked the hallway door and put the deadbolt on, so no one could enter while we were at the pool (as you can understand my concern, since we entered a room with our keys that was already occupied). Back down to the desk, explained the situation to management and I was bluntly told "Go back to your hallway door and stand in the hallway until maintenance can get there in about 10 mins." The maintenance fellow and I finally connected and he couldn't get our keys to work, so the entire lock had to be changed.
The ventilation system in the pool/waterslide area was not working. It was like sitting in a sauna. Only reason we stayed for two nights was that the grandchildren enjoyed the pool/waterslide.

At no time was there an apology from management on the confusion of the room assignment. Compensation was that we didn't get charged $10. a night for the use of a fridge, which to me is pretty standard in any hotel room nowadays.
The night person on maintenance was very courteous. A new clerk (second night she worked there) was very helpful. However, the management person was very offhand and not once apologized for sending us to three rooms before one was suitable, and the lock issue on the poolside door was just another inconvenience to her.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family