“Great service and value!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Forks Inn & Suites

Grand Forks Inn & Suites
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great service and value!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was an awesome place to stay as we were catching a plane. We stayed one night, parked our car, were shuttled to and from the aiport. Our initial room's A/C was not working, but we were then upgraded to a suite which was great.

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
GRAND FORKS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was once a very nice hotel but time has taken away any glamour left here. The rooms need major remodeling. The beds are super soft and uncomfortable, the comforter covers had stains on them, the laminate countertop was completely missing in the bathroom on the edges, the bathroom door didn't shut at all, the lock on the poolside door didn't work so we kept having to go around to the other door. Staff are nice and doing the best they can. Dirty dirty dirty. The pool area is NICE especially for kids, waterslide and baby pool waterslides are whats keeping this old hotel open. There is no restaurant anymore here, so only frozen pizzas to be ordered.

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

beichsteadt, General Manager at Grand Forks Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Please accept my apologies for the concerns you shared about the condition of our hotel, comfort of our beds, cleanliness of our linen, and condition of our guest rooms. I am pleased that you found our waterpark to be satisfactory and our staff to be helpful! Our hotel recently came under new ownership and we are dedicated to restoring the luster of our hotel by making significant improvements. We are currently in the process of replacing all our guest room beds and linen. We have also begun renovating guest rooms, which will include replacing bathroom vanities and countertops. I thank you for your feedback as it will help us be a better, more competitive hotel in Grand Forks.

Travelers are raving about these Grand Forks hotels

WINKLER
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

The room was not clean, there was toe nails and skin between the bed and night stand, the bed was extremely saggy and the springs would clang and bang when you moved in bed. The wifi didn't work most of the time we stayed and when a complaint was made to the front desk she sent a maintanence man up but he admitted he knew nothing about what he was to do to fix it. The whole building smelt musty and moldy. Was very unhappy with our stay. I paid for 2 room for 2 nights and wouldn't do it again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

I value your business and feedback. It's obvious we were not performing to our usual standards. I am shocked that this is the first I'm hearing about a cleanliness concern in one of our guest rooms, as I am usually notified right away when a customer experiences a problem such as this. I will share your feedback with our entire housekeeping staff and investigate this problem immediately so that it doesn't happen again. Thank you for taking the time to let me know about this! -Brendan Eichsteadt
MINOT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I went to the Howard Johnson in Grand Forks, ND for the weekend. We only ended up staying one night. When we got to the hotel we checked in and the desk clerk was nice. She checked us in and gave us our room keys. She didn't tell us where our room was and when asked she looked confused and had to pull out the map. The main reason we were staying here was for the pool, if you can call it that. It's two kiddie pools with slides which is great for families but not for someone if they want to swim or sit in a hot tub. Walking in there made my husband feel like the creepy guy at the park. We set the A/C to 72 and left the room to go have dinner. When we got back the room was stuffy and warm. We were on the first floor so there weren't any windows to open to get a breeze. When I went to check out with the clerk the next day was informed that their chiller unit was broken and there is no A/C on that side of the building. Why would you put people on that side with out A/C or at least tell them about it upon check in so they can decide for themselves. Overall I was unimpressed with the quality of the hotel. I don't think we will be staying at a Howard Johnson's again.

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

On behalf of our entire staff, please accept my apologies for the concerns you shared about the knowledge of our front desk, waterpark, and air conditioning. Our hotel has many opportunities, and I am pleased that all our beds are currently being replaced! I will share your feedback with the appropriate staff so that we may avoid any future similar experience. -Brendan Eichsteadt
WINNIPEG
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was also hesitant to book after reading the alarming reviews!!! However, I decided to book anyway to check out the waterpark for my little guy and to see for myself what the complaints were about! And for $111 taxes in/night for a "suite" which is the equivalent of two rooms~ one converted in the lounge/kitchen area~ it was a price I couldn't refuse! Space in the room was great, suite was a little musty but housekeeping immediately came to deal with the problem. The bathroom was DATED and in need of reno, but usable. No other issues with the room. My dealings with the front desk staff were positive. Kayla, was extremely helpful and pleasant. She shared that some rooms have been renovated...we checked them out and they are very nice!! The pool area was not pristine clean, but well enough maintained that I would return. My little guy loved it! If you go, make sure you get a decent rate to be worth your while or try to book the newer suites. The breakfast was fine. Standard fare and the breakfast staff were also very pleasant! Finally, you can't beat a 2 pm late check out when needing to "hang out" in GF a little longer before crossing the border!

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay in Grand Forks! It's a privilege to accommodate our Northern Neighbors, and I am extremely pleased that Kayla was able to offer warm hospitality throughout your stay! It is our goal to provide this type of memorable service to all our guests. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to our area! -Brendan Eichsteadt
WEST FARGO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Ours was a quick overnight stay while attending a friend's wedding, so we did not spend much time in the room other than sleeping in it & getting ready to leave the next morning. We did not eat the continental breakfast as we were meeting other family at another location. Everything was satisfactory except the two times we were at the front desk (for check-in and check-out) the poor clerk was the only one on duty & seemed easily distracted by several interruptions (phone calls coming in, other guests at the desk asking questions, housekeeping calling on the intercom) while trying to wait on us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

I value your business and feedback. It was our pleasure to accommodate you while you were staying for a wedding. It's obvious our front desk was short-staffed during your visit, and I am pleased to tell you that we now have a fully functional, and outstanding front desk team that will go above and beyond for all our guests! I truly look forward to seeing you again when you return to Grand Forks! -Brendan Eichsteadt
avondale
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the Howard Johnson while in town for a wedding. There were alot of guests at this hotel that were with this same wedding. Our rooms had no AC, and we were continuously told "maintance is working on it." The AC never started working. The rooms were hot and humid. One of our parties had a room by the pool, and they left because the room was so hot, humid, and the chlorine smell was overpowering in their room. As it turned out, the AC has not been working in one half of the hotel for the better part of a month. First of all, that is completely unacceptable. Second of all, those rooms shouldn't be used at all if there is no AC. Third of all, you shouldn't be lying to your guests. at 11pm, we spoke with Spencer at the front desk, who was certainly apologetic and did his best to find us a room on our second night in an area that had AC. He worked very hard on this and did manage to get us a good room for the second night.
The hotel needs updating. The carpets are stained and gross looking. The beds are very hard. The pool area is nice, our kids had a great time in the water park area. The breakfast was decent for a continental with bagels, biscuits and gravy, toast, cereal, and fruit.
I'm completely appalled at the AC situation, that management would let it go for so long, and even continue using those rooms. Also cannot believe they wouldn't warn us at check in, and lie repeatedly about what the situation actually was. They did reduce the rate of our room for the inconvenience after much fuss.
In reading the reviews on here, you can see for yourself that dated a month back, there were still complaints about no AC. And the management comments are all the same.

I don't know that I would ever stay here again. We had others in our party who went to the Canad Inn for $20 more per night, and it was a MUCH nicer hotel, with a better experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room away from the pool, and ask if the AC is working in that room before you ch...