“Cheap Getaway.....Great for Kids!!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Forks Inn & Suites

Grand Forks Inn & Suites
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
WINNIPEG
“Cheap Getaway.....Great for Kids!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was also hesitant to book after reading the alarming reviews!!! However, I decided to book anyway to check out the waterpark for my little guy and to see for myself what the complaints were about! And for $111 taxes in/night for a "suite" which is the equivalent of two rooms~ one converted in the lounge/kitchen area~ it was a price I couldn't refuse! Space in the room was great, suite was a little musty but housekeeping immediately came to deal with the problem. The bathroom was DATED and in need of reno, but usable. No other issues with the room. My dealings with the front desk staff were positive. Kayla, was extremely helpful and pleasant. She shared that some rooms have been renovated...we checked them out and they are very nice!! The pool area was not pristine clean, but well enough maintained that I would return. My little guy loved it! If you go, make sure you get a decent rate to be worth your while or try to book the newer suites. The breakfast was fine. Standard fare and the breakfast staff were also very pleasant! Finally, you can't beat a 2 pm late check out when needing to "hang out" in GF a little longer before crossing the border!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

beichsteadt, General Manager at Grand Forks Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay in Grand Forks! It's a privilege to accommodate our Northern Neighbors, and I am extremely pleased that Kayla was able to offer warm hospitality throughout your stay! It is our goal to provide this type of memorable service to all our guests. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to our area! -Brendan Eichsteadt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
WEST FARGO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Ours was a quick overnight stay while attending a friend's wedding, so we did not spend much time in the room other than sleeping in it & getting ready to leave the next morning. We did not eat the continental breakfast as we were meeting other family at another location. Everything was satisfactory except the two times we were at the front desk (for check-in and check-out) the poor clerk was the only one on duty & seemed easily distracted by several interruptions (phone calls coming in, other guests at the desk asking questions, housekeeping calling on the intercom) while trying to wait on us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

I value your business and feedback. It was our pleasure to accommodate you while you were staying for a wedding. It's obvious our front desk was short-staffed during your visit, and I am pleased to tell you that we now have a fully functional, and outstanding front desk team that will go above and beyond for all our guests! I truly look forward to seeing you again when you return to Grand Forks! -Brendan Eichsteadt
avondale
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the Howard Johnson while in town for a wedding. There were alot of guests at this hotel that were with this same wedding. Our rooms had no AC, and we were continuously told "maintance is working on it." The AC never started working. The rooms were hot and humid. One of our parties had a room by the pool, and they left because the room was so hot, humid, and the chlorine smell was overpowering in their room. As it turned out, the AC has not been working in one half of the hotel for the better part of a month. First of all, that is completely unacceptable. Second of all, those rooms shouldn't be used at all if there is no AC. Third of all, you shouldn't be lying to your guests. at 11pm, we spoke with Spencer at the front desk, who was certainly apologetic and did his best to find us a room on our second night in an area that had AC. He worked very hard on this and did manage to get us a good room for the second night.
The hotel needs updating. The carpets are stained and gross looking. The beds are very hard. The pool area is nice, our kids had a great time in the water park area. The breakfast was decent for a continental with bagels, biscuits and gravy, toast, cereal, and fruit.
I'm completely appalled at the AC situation, that management would let it go for so long, and even continue using those rooms. Also cannot believe they wouldn't warn us at check in, and lie repeatedly about what the situation actually was. They did reduce the rate of our room for the inconvenience after much fuss.
In reading the reviews on here, you can see for yourself that dated a month back, there were still complaints about no AC. And the management comments are all the same.

I don't know that I would ever stay here again. We had others in our party who went to the Canad Inn for $20 more per night, and it was a MUCH nicer hotel, with a better experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room away from the pool, and ask if the AC is working in that room before you ch...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
On behalf of our entire staff, please accept my apologies for the concerns you shared about your experience at our hotel. I agree with you- not having A/C is unacceptable. The comfort of my guests is my upmost priority. I am pleased to tell you that we are currently replacing all our guest room beds, we will be replacing all our hallway & lobby carpeting and floor coverings, and continuing several additional renovation projects to make our hotel more competitive. Please contact me directly if I can be of addtional assistance. -Brendan Eichsteadt

Travelers are raving about these Grand Forks hotels

Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had a coupon which was honoured without question. This seems like it was a large conference center from years ago that has been remodeled. So some of the old still remains. It was clean. The room were roomy. Nice new flat screen tv. The tub surround had a bit of rust on it. Wireless was strong and flawless. Breakfast was a bit above average but not great. Every staff person we met were very helpful. The pool and slide are good for elementary age kids. Kids are not allowed after 9 in the pool. We liked that. Ping pong table was fun.

Room Tip: Go to ezmarketing website and you will find coupons for Winnipeg people. They are great value. This...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
beichsteadt, General Manager at Grand Forks Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
I value your business and comments. It was our pleasure to accommodate you during your visit to Grand Forks! Our goal is to provide our guests with value, memorable service and a relaxing place to rest.I appreciate your patience as we continue to update our hotel to make it the "best place to stay" in Grand Forks. Sincerely, Brendan Eichsteadt, General Manager
Winnipeg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I saw the numerous bad reviews posted for this hotel but figured I'd give it a chance, there was a coupon in the local paper advertising their newly renovated rooms and the pool area "water park". When I booked I said we would need a crib and was informed the hotel provided a complimentary one and it was first come first served, but it shouldn't be a problem on a Sunday and Monday night. Luckily we brought ours because upon check in there was none available. When we got to our room, it was warm but we cranked the A/C and went to the pool (which is it's own story). Upon returning, there was no noticeable change in temperature, so I went to the front desk to mention it. The employee seemed surprised and told me to just let the A/C run for a bit. Because we were going out to dinner I said I would check again when we returned.
When we got back the room was even hotter and there was no way we could stay there with a new baby and a 4 year old, so I went to the front desk again. The same employee immediately offered to switch me to a different room on the second floor, and pointing on a map of the hotel to the new room, said "These rooms (on the second floor) are in the renovated area so they have the central air, but this block (pointing to a row of 6-8 rooms including our current one) the compressor's been out so there's no cooling." This didn't seem like it was something that had just happened, so I'm wondering why we were put into that room at check in, and why she didn't mention it at my first visit to complain earlier. When we finally moved into the new room, it was fine for the rest of our stay although the toilet seat was cracked.
We visited the pool area 3 separate times over three days, and found it quite dirty. There were numerous used band aids and dead bugs all over the pool deck, and the yellow slide on the kids play structure was covered in a black mold, none of which was ever cleaned in the time we were there. There was no lifeguard on duty, but there was a surly looking teenager wearing a t-shirt that read "pool staff" sitting off to the side. I’m not sure what he was there for or how much he was being paid, but he spent the entire time staring at a cell phone. Once he got up, walked over to the pool side and yelled “Hey!” in the general direction of some swimmers, then went and sat down again to keep staring at his cell phone. Perhaps he can be asked to clean the slide and band-aids in the area once in a while.
The weekday breakfast hours should be extended past 9am, 9:30 or 10am is more reasonable and on days where sausage gravy is served, it should be labeled because during one morning of our visit, there were a few patrons who thought it was oatmeal, loaded an entire bowl with it and then put it aside after one spoonful, wasting it and causing there to be none left in the pot for later guests.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Josh K
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am honestly shocked and appalled that you experienced this much trouble while staying in our hotel. Our hotel may not be the newest in Grand Forks, but our service is what separates us from the rest. It's obvious we were not performing to our usual standards, and I will address your concerns with our entire staff. It's from feedback like yours that will help us continue improving our hotel. Sincerely, Brendan Eichsteadt, General Manager
Mound, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Booked at this hotel last minute to be with my son during the welcome weekend at UND. I got scared and wary after reading the previous reviews. All other hotels were fully booked already.
Hesitant during check in. There was only one receptionist, Sara, who did a wonderful job checking in guests and answering the phone at the same time. And yet, maintained her professional service serving with a smile and giving apologies.
Hotel was old but what would I expect for the price I paid for. AC was excellent, I was able to connect to the internet, the pool was working and you could really see the kids having fun swimming.
Staff you meet by the hallway don't look at you straight in the eyes and greet guests.
But it wasn't that bad after all.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your with feedback. I am pleased that you found our services, location, and staff to be satisfactory. Our hotel is in a "state of transition" as we continue making major improvements to the overall condition of our building, etc. On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for giving us the opportunity to accommodate you. Sincerely, Brendan Eichsteadt, General Manager
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

The room was very clean and that is the main thing I require. All the staff were extremely friendly. They need to have more than one person at the check in during peak times as she was trying to check people in and answer phones and fix problem cards. i think they need new key cards as it seemed almost everyone who checked in was coming back because they were not working. We had to go back 3 times. Sara at the front desk was great though. She deserves a raise. The pool was good for my 5 and 10 year old but probably not for older kids or adults without young children. The kids also like that they had ping pong. Breakfast was very good with french toast and hard boiled eggs as well as the all the regular selections. Could have used more variety of fruit as they only offered apples. My husband did not like that wifi did not work in our room even after calling and sitting on hold forever. That did not matter to me so I did not let it affect my review. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 161 was clean and renovated. It seemed like all rooms on this wing were redone on the main fl...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your helpful and great feedback! I really like it that you recognized Sara at the front desk, as I reward my staff for being mentioned publicly for doing a good job. I am pleased to tell you that because of your feedback we will be offering more fruit choices on our continental breakfast. Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to accommodating you again when your travels bring you back to Grand Forks! Sincerely, Brendan Eichsteadt, General Manager