“Great value, awesome for families!”

Grand Forks Inn & Suites
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great value, awesome for families!”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

This hotel may be a little old but it was clean and they have been upgrading some of the areas. It was a great place to stay with children, the pool has a water slide and a play structure, and the hotel offers a really good continental breakfast. Lots of tables around the pool to sit if you're not in the water with the kids.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor were quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank melinahe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Please update your hotel! Instead of enjoying our weekend we had to put up with a lot of inconvience. First off, the only reason we were drawn to this hotel was because of the water slide. Guess what-broke. When asked when it would be fix we kept being told by the end of the day. How can something get fixed if no one works on it. The game room ate all of our quarters with maybe three machines working. The fitness room had very bad equipment. I don't think I have ever seen such rust on an elliptical machine. The breakfast was about one of the most painful experiences I had to go through. We waited in a line where the food was laid out so poorly. You had to keep bumping into line to get things like toast or use the microwave. Then to make things worse the hotel staff waits right by the line cut in and out with food or asking if you have your breakfast ticket. The beds were horribly uncomfortable and you were lucky if your TV worked. The best thing was getting your bill to see that you were charged for a safe(along with a safe tax) that you didn't even use. I am a North Dakotan and I am embarrassed that we have a hotel this bad.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kayb18

Travelers are raving about these Grand Forks hotels

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2012

This hotel is showing its age. The hotel itself is clean though and the staff makes up for the aged hotel. It also provided free shuttle to the Airport, which is a real plus.Ideal for a short stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the pool as inside rooms are very hot due to the large pool area.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Haymaker13
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I was warmly greeted at the counter by the staff when I arrived. Check-in was very quick I was quickly on my way to my room. On my way, I noticed that the pool area was very big. It had a small children's pool, a large whirlpool, and a generous swimming pool equipped with a large spiral slide. There were plenty of towel available for guests and there was even an area for table tennis. There was also a small coin operated arcade in the pool area as well.

When I got to my room, this is where I was extremely disappointed. I asked for a non-smoking room upon check-in, and the room that I was given was recently converted to non-smoking. The stench was just awful. The carpet in the room was lifting in a bunch of different spots and looked like it hadn't been shampooed in 10 years. The valance for the window was covered in spider webs and the hardware to open and close the curtains was broken.

There was a very pronounced draft by the door to the outdoor parking lot. and when I opened the door, I noticed that all of the trim / rubber seal was missing. I had to put a towel at the bottom of the door to keep the draft at bay. I also noticed that our heater / Air conditioner unit was in need of repair. Vents were missing, and the unit appeared to be separating from the wall. I went back to the front desk and explained what condition my room was in, they apologized up and down. They changed my room for me, but it wasn't that much better.

In the hotel's defense, this property is in the process of being renovated; which is long overdue. There were several rooms being upgraded and more than half of the hotel should be completed by this summer. The staff was wonderful to deal with and were professional in every regard. It is a shame that such a large chain would allow one of it's high traffic locations to be run down to such a shameful state. Maybe next time I'll think twice about staying at the Ho-Jo.

1 Thank ledge4131
Fargo, North Dakota, United States
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed for a concert up in Grand Forks. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was great! We enjoyed the free breakfast in the morning. Overall great stay!

1 Thank ChristineBoprie
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I was in town for a family friend's wedding reception which was held at the banquette facilities in the hotel and it was AWESOME! First of all, the bar staff on Friday was excellent and attentive with much personality and luckly they were there Saturday, the night of reception also working in the wedding bar. They were much faster then the hotel lounge but the lounge was also full and still had good service. The whole wedding and bar staff were verry friendly and accomidating (maybe they should run the front desk too....they are not to personable up there). Noone I talked to had anything but great things to say about the reception. The food was also amazing. The kid buffet was a great idea would have never thought of doing that but worked well. I have never wrote reviews before but my weekend was so nice i had to pay appreciation to they staff that deserve it. THANK YOU HOWARD JOHNSON STAFF

1 Thank dizylizy
Winnipeg
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Afer reading reviews of this hotel we were a little nervous to stay here. Hotel is very large and has a large pool/kiddie pool area. Our room was good, nothing special but it was comfortable and clean. My only complaint would be the free breakfast in the morning, there was very little selection and it didnt look very clean to me, so we didnt eat it. But overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family