“Unexpected Gem in the Heart of Grand Forks”
Review of The Toasted Frog

The Toasted Frog
Ranked #2 of 167 Restaurants in Grand Forks
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Toasted Frog for the first time today, and we were thrilled with our experience. Frankly, my general impression of the "Grand Forks Restaurant Experience" is one characterized by flashy chain restaurants serving up bland, poorly concocted dishes that are as unimaginative as they are cheap. The Toasted Toad DOES NOT fall into that mental construct!

Location... Beautiful space located in a character building in downtown Grand Forks. Lovely hardwood floors, beautiful reclaimed brick walls, and obviously old wooden ceiling joists were all perfectly accented with lighting that created a warm, inviting environment.

Service... Our waitress was excellent (forgot to get her name). She was happy to recommend items on the menu when asked (all of her recommendations were fantastic), and her service was prompt and friendly. She kept our drinks full without being asked once.

Food... Fantastic! We started with their classic appetizer, fried cheesy pickles. Kinda weird, and a bit too greasy for my taste, but super tasty and creative nonetheless! My wife ordered the wood fired caprese melt with yam fries and commented that it was both tasty and characterized by fresh tasting, flavorful ingredients. I ordered their filet mignon special which came with a scotch (I think) and mustard sauce and sides of veggies and wasabi garlic mashed tomatoes. I ordered it medium rare, and it may have been the best steak I've ever had. Absolutely delicious.

Value... Super reasonably priced. With one soft drink, one appetizer, and two entrees our bill, after tax, came to only $47.

We will definitely be visiting here again next time we are in Grand Forks. Great job, Toasted Frog!

1  Thank Arkaengel
There are newer reviews for The Toasted Frog

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Have been here several times for dinner. Fried pickles in wonton wrappers with havarti cheese have yet to be matched anywhere. The specials are always truely special. Beautiful martini list and the wine list is amazing. My favorite place to eat in Grand Forks.

1  Thank lilcanuck
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I were in Grand Forks for our anniversary so we listened to TripAdvisor and tried out the Toasted Frog for dinner. We were very impressed and will definitely be back. We started with a glass of wine from their extensive wine list and a Caprese salad for my wife with fresh tomatoes, mozza, basil and more in a balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I decided to be daring and went for the cheesy fried pickles - dill pickles wrapped in havarti, breaded and fried and served with sirancha. This was an appy to remember - such an interesting blend of flavors and textures. For the main course I went for the walleye strips (this is North Dakota - you need to have the best freshwater fish there is. found right here) with sweet potato fries (very tasty) and my wife had the pork tenderloin in a port craisin demiglace. Food was superb, service was excellent, the atmosphere was very nice. Our only complaint - serving were too big because there were several interesting desserts, but we couldn't eat another bite.

1  Thank Koz2662
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We ate here on a Saturday night and got to the restaurant about 6pm. There was no wait for a table, but parking is hard to find in downtown. The staff is nice and friendly and everyone treated us very well. I ordered a woodfired pepperoni pizza and it was excellent. The price was around 13$ and it served me with some leftover. There were many kinds of pizza. my husband ordered the Prime Rib Sandwhich. He said it was good but not spectacular, and he would prefer the top to the sandwhich rather than it being open faced. We didn't get any dessert or appetizers, but they did at the tables next to us. The one couple had a fruit cheese and cracker plate, it looked great! The other couple had this amazing looking pear pie. Looked very good!
Overall it was a very good dining experience, but I'm not sure that is it worth paying the extra money it cost us compared to other places.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was there with my sister and her daughter to celebrate my niece's 21st birthday.
The waitress suggested the fried cheesy pickles so my sister ordered them. I wasn't holding out much hope for this appetizer but they surprised me - very good appy to start the evening. All our mains (pork, fish, steak) were very good. It has a really good vibe - I might suggest making a reservation because it is a popular place. I would definitely go back!