“Good value, nice rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Altona, Canada
“Good value, nice rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed with my family over the weekend. The room was large and clean. TV's are old, but we've been told that the new ones are coming soon. Front desk staff was very prompt and helpful. Pool and atrium area was a lot of fun for my kids (2 boys, 7and11 years) . Between mini golf and swimming they were occupied for a long time. The service in the restaurant was slow. When I mentioned that to the staff it become less friendly. We found out that restaurant is leased. The owner was not around. Overall good trip. Good to stay in downtown Grand Forks. Walking distance to many attractions. Will come again to check those new TV's

Room Tip: Ask for a king size bed
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Olga G
aaird-gh, General Manager at Red Roof Inn TownHouse - Grand Forks, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for the nice things you had to say about your stay with us. I was glad to read you took full advantage of all the amenities. I was sorry to hear your service in our restaurant was not quite up to par during your visit, but I really hope you were able to enjoy your meal. They really do have some good choices and at a reasonable price. I will pass along your comments. Lastly, our TV’s have started to arrive and are being installed as I write this. They really do make a difference and our guests and our staff are both excited to have them. Next time you stay, please let me know how we did. I’ll tell you what new plans we have for our next updates. –Annette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed at the guesthouse a few months ago with my family we got a poolside room it was clean but the air conditioner did not work it was so hot in our room it was hard to sleep and then i noticed we didnt have a microwave in our room when it says that every room has one we ened up leaving two days earlier then scheduled and stayed at another hotel

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. I was sorry to read that you were unable to enjoy your stay due to the heat in your room. Our inside rooms are on a central unit, which we try to keep at a comfortable level, pending the time of year. As we take all our comments seriously, I have had our local heating and cooling company come out to take a look at the unit and they were able to make some adjustments. Thank you again for making us aware. -Annette
Bel Air, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Room was just okay. It wasn't a bad size but needed a desk or small table for work/eating. It had a chair but there was no type of table or desk for it. Dead cockroach near lamp which was pretty easy to see remained there after room was cleaned.

Restaurant was not bad but it wasn't really that good either. Service was pretty slow considering number of staff.

Room Tip: I stayed in room bordering indoor mini golf. Not too loud but I think the ones backing up to indoor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We always strive to make sure all of our rooms are clean and pest free. However, on occasion a stray ant or beetle may appear. I also want to assure you, we do have staff training and a monthly control plan in place to help prevent unwanted “guests”. I appreciate you letting us know the areas we can improve upon and I would hope, if you are in Grand Forks again, you would stop by and check out our updates.
-Annette
Steinbach, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I got this hotel through Hotwire and wasn't expecting much at all, but it surpassed and exceeded my expectations. The front desk lady was very helpful and friendly. We asked for directions- we had some business in East Grand Forks -and received detailed explanation and a good advice.

The hotel is located right in downtown , Grand Forks within walking distance to many bars, restaurants, business district, and , most importantly for us, right on the border -within one mile- to East Grand Forks, Minnesota. Many people don't realize, Grand Forks is split in two parts, Grand Forks, ND and East Grand Forks, MN. Hotel's location was a definite plus for us.

Room: good size, very clean. Comfortable beds with nice sheets. The bathroom had an old fashioned shower head with strong water pressure. I got an excellent back massage while taking a shower.
It was nice to have a refrigerator in the room.

Food: the hotel has a restaurant and a lounge with outside patio which wasn't available at that time. I had a steak and salad. It was OK, not GREAT but.. Just OK. My boyfriend had a few rounds of beer and a pizza which looked delicious.

Other facilities: great pool , large enough to go for a few laps back and forth. Nice enclosed atrium area with a golf course and an oasis with live trees and plants.

Whirlpool and sauna: we never used them. Looks like sauna could use a new paint job.

I would say this is a 3 star hotel on a budget, a bit aged but has a lot to offer at reasonable price. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have new flat screen TVs. Ask for a room with a new TV.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
aaird-gh, General Manager at Red Roof Inn TownHouse - Grand Forks, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for the nice things you had to say about our hotel. It sounds like you were really able to get the full experience, from the pool to the restaurant and the downtown location. Our downtown location is especially nice in the summer time. There are several things to see and do just within a few blocks. Also, as you may know, we are under new ownership and numerous improvements are under way. You will have to stay again and check them out. -Annette
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Overall I had a good experience staying in this hotel at Grand Forks.

I was on my way - all the way from Winnipeg- to visit Mall of America, but kids drove me nuts and I decided to crash for the night. I knew about this place from a friend.

Guesthouse is one of those hotels that age slowly but gracefully. The name is a bit confusing. Is it Guesthouse or Townhouse or both? When I asked for directions locals seemed to know where Townhouse was but nobody recognized Guesthouse.

Pros:
Large rooms and comfortable beds... With 2 kids this is very important. Our room was a little bit dated but spotlessly clean and the wifi worked well for me. Kids had a great time playing indoor golf and swimming in the huge pool. The pool itself is a part of the indoor atrium that has sauna, 2 heated pools and a game arcade which we never used.

Adjacent to the hotel there is a full service restaurant-lounge that serves steaks, pizza, snacks, beer and other menu items. Pizza was excellent but we had to wait for it more than I liked.

Cons:

-This is not a brand new place. Looking for 5 star hotel? this is not it.
-Slow service in the restaurant
-It was busy that Friday evening . They had a wedding reception with lots of guests which I didn't care for.

Overall , for what they charged me , it was excellent value. I would recommend it to anyone on a budget who needs a decent, clean and safe room in Grand Forks.

Room Tip: If you want a peace and quiet ask for a room away from a swimming pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
aaird-gh, General Manager at Red Roof Inn TownHouse - Grand Forks, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I appreciate the good things you had to say, as well as the areas in which we could improve. As you mentioned, we are not brand new. However, we are under new ownership and we are excited to say we have great plans in place for new updates and improvements. You will have to stay again and check us out.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are decent with the exception of the ancient heater/ac unit. I opens the door and you can see some pipes and valves. They were leaking or sweating a small amount of water, enough to just stay moist and grow mold! After checking in, I went to dr c... There was puke on the stairs! Eww! I tried to call the front desk, there was no answer. Then I rembered him complaining of needing a cigarette. Pool are looks fun and there is a bar, if that's your thing. Overall it's a decent place.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
aaird-gh, General Manager at Red Roof Inn TownHouse - Grand Forks, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate you thought we were fair and you are right the pool area is fun! I did want to let you know, the clerk that checked you in did clean up the stair case area. We were unable to carpet clean it until a more reasonable time of day, but everything was taken care of. Thank you, again. -Annette
Prior Lake, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The room that we were suppose to be in had 2 very large stains on the floor. We asked for a different room and they gave us a different one. Everything seemed to be falling apart in the hotel and very dirty. We asked for extra pillows and they did not have any. The coffee pot in the room did not have a carafe for it. Very disappointed for the price we paid! Other family in other rooms had dirty diapers under the bed, and used plastic forks on the floor. Disgusting!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your response. I would like to apologize for the condition of your rooms. We do make every effort to make sure our guests are happy and are always trying make things better for each guest. Currently, We have plans in place to replace a few of the carpets that are less than standard, as well as several updates in the upcoming year. You'll have to check us out. -Annette

Travelers are raving about these Grand Forks hotels