“I would give it a better review IF......”

Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Minot, North Dakota
“I would give it a better review IF......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

The hotel is good, not great and certainly not worth the $179 (or more) price tag IMO. WHY DO I STAY HERE???? I like to stay here during hockey season because they offer a bus that takes you to and from the game and they have a fun bar (The Pub). The rooms are adequate but the bedding is SO HEAVY that I cannot sleep with it on. When I stay there we have to take the bed apart and use the blanket that is in the closet for the hide a bed. This is THE ONLY hotel I have to do this in and I travel 2-3 weeks per month so I stay in hotels all the time. I love The Pub the food is good (wings are GREAT), the waitresses on the whole are very nice. The manager Drew is FANTASTIC. I really enjoy his company. The very worst part of this hotel is the complete and total lack of service if you are in Playmakers. You couldn't get someone to wait on you to save your soul. It is really quite laughable. They have waitresses but we would never know. It isn't like this happened once, it happens every single time I go there (at least once per month). If this wasn't where their gaming tables were I would never go. When I am at the black jack tables, I will tell the dealer I need a drink and nothing is done. Again this hasn't just happened once but MANY times. Occasionally IF we are sitting at a table we may get someone to wait on us but at the gaming tables I either have to get my own or have someone from my group get a drink for me. UNBELIEVABLE. In the breakfast restaurant on the other hand the waiters and waitresses are really nice, very friendly, very helpful. Food is adequate but not great. The breakfast buffet is OK, not great but OK.

Room Tip: Service I gave an "average" but that is unfair. If you are in the breakfast restaurant it...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Jim M, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write your review and for the nice comments you shared. I will make sure that the Pub hears your kind words. I will share your comments about Playmakers service with our Food and Beverage manager. We always strive to perform better than you have described. I'm sorry that has happened to you on a number of occasions and will work to improve in this area. I hope you notice a change on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a number of times, for short getaways as well a place to stay while we wait for our flight day from Grand Forks airport. It is always clean, check in is a breeze we have never waited more than a few minutes.

The waterpark is a huge hit albeit a little pricey even for registered guests. The location is great close to everything (I guess in a little town everything is close to everything!)

This is a no thrills clean, well maintained affordable hotel that attracts a lot of people due to the water park.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Canadianstanger
Thanks for your kind words. We appreciate it!
Grand Forks, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Our overall experience with the Canad Inn was wonderful........we really enjoyed it:-) The only thing that I could say was that the Upper Playmakers was a little to warm, and the elevators were always very busy.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thanks for the wonderful review. We had an extremely busy Christmas season and we are pleased that our team performed to standards. We hope you choose to return next holiday season.
Kindred, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Our school dance team stayed at the Canad Inn for the 3rd straight year and this was the best yet. Our sales coordinator, Jennifer, was absolutely outstanding (and needs a raise!) as she had our rooms and keys waiting for us when we stepped in the door. The hotel accomodated us at the last minute when we needed to come in a day early due to unpredictable weather. The King Suite was to die for and the Coach said "I'm so spoiled!!" The suite was perfect for our team meetings and evening parent get togethers. The staff delivered pizza to our suite and we were so grateful. Alto's accomodated the dance team when they had to eat in 15 min and they made the lunch happen for us. You did everything one would expect and went that extra mile whenever we needed something. Thank you so much and we will miss not being at the Canad Inn next year for the competition.

Room Tip: All are great!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thanks so much Joan for your wonderful review. We will greatly miss the Dance and Drill weekend. We really enjoyed the energy of the dance teams. We hope you choose to return to Grand Forks in future years.
Fargo, North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We splurged on a suite here for a get-away evening. When we arrived the front desk had a long wait to check in (everyone was trying to get in away from the storm in a hurry) but they were extremely friendly and helpful. We got to check out a few of the theme suites - they are all very cheesy, but fun - and we ended up in the Roman suite. It was very spacious! and clean. The bed was very comfortable. We spent quite a while in the pool and loved the watersides. So fun! Because of the weather we decided to stay in and eat at Aalto's, which was mediocre but totally worth it to stay out of the blizzard. It will definitely be a while before we are able to do this again on our young couple's budget, but we are looking forward to coming back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin R, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you so much for your positive review of the property. We are looking at some special summer prices to encourage families to join us. Please let us know if you are interested and we would love to have you back.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed 2 nights Dec 30 and 31st. The staff was perfect, the water park was cozy, Rented a cabana had all my food, (pizza and beer!) delivered quickly and hot! Room was clean, comfortable as expected. The hotel lobby exploded with action towards the evening. Dance music with DJ, dance floor, open doors for all ages to Tavern United, enjoyed awesome meal there with my wife and 2 boys. Walked over to the Alerus Center which was having a live band and some inflatables for small children. Walked back to lobby for the count down, had balloons rain on us, it was great! Oh and what made this trip better?????? THERE'S A TIMMIES ACROSS THE STREET NOW!!!!!

Room Tip: Use the far back elevator instead of the lobby one....... The lobby one usually stops on all floors...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. NY Eve was a hit this year and we will only add to the fun next year. Please let me know if you choose to return so we can make sure you get a room on one of our busiest nights. Our family will once again be proud to serve your family.
Bemidji, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

I had to go to Grand Forks to pick up some Gold Coins that I had left for grading, and my 10 year old daughter and I stayed here. We did not have the time to try the waterpark for the her, though I will try again, as I plan to return, as I live in Bemidji. My daughter loved her bed, as did I. Despite being overwhelmed by checking in a visiting football team for the UND game, front desk service was fine. My room cost was $119.00 for the night, which was fine for the room we received.

I'm from Chicago, and my cousin owned Gulliver's (one of the top 20 Pizzerias in the Chicago area at one time), so I know pizzas. My daughter and I had gone to the Rhombus Guys for lunch the day before and were underwhelmed.
The Pizza in the hotels' restuarant was better. And the presence of a harpist was a nice touch. Definitely THE hotel to stay in if you are in Grand Forks. (There is no 5 star property in Grand Forks. I have stayed in New Zealand resorts and the Waldorf in NYC, so I reserve my ratings for 5 star quite carefully.)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kevin R, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our property. We especially appreciate the kind words from such a seasoned traveler. Please come back and see us again. We greatly appreciate your patronage.