“High value for the $”

Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Attended an industry trade show at the Alerus Center and naturally opted for the Canad Inn. I noted some negative reviews here before I arrived, so there was a little trepidation that proved to be unfounded, at least for me. The reception staff was friendly and efficient, the room was sizable and modern with the usual amenities. While not outstanding in any way...at under $100 per night I beleive it is an exceptional value.

The breakfast buffet was confusing as some of the area was blocked off for no apparent reason and the food was unremarkable. Service was good, though somewhat harried as they were "slammed" when I showed up. Check out was fast and crisp. If convenience to the Alerus Center is paramount, this is the place. At under $100/night I will happily return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Kevin R, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for your positive review of our property. We enjoyed having your conference in Grand Forks and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

The rooms are average typical rooms. The bathroom had pink mildew by the tub and several patches in the shower wall. The food in the cafe was over priced and terrible. Don't expect hashbrowns with breakfast or good food off the menu. The front desk was friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our friendly front desk staff. Your review of the restaurant concerns us. We attempt to offer the finest in all areas of our property including food and beverage. We apologize that on this visit one of our venues did not measure up. We will work to improve for your next visit.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night, Sept. 5th, and we were very impressed by the ease of check in, the friendly out going staff. Kelly and her crew were fantastic. So very friendly and helpful. Our room was upgraded to a suite, and was very clean as well as quite. A side note from the hotel, the pizza that is served in the Bistro is some of the best pizza that we have eaten, hands down. An awesome facility, awesome staff, and a great price. I certainly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin R, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you so nuch for your kind words about our property. We have brought forward some additional training across the hotel to ensure guests have a pleasant experience at our property. We look forward to serving your family again.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Check in was quick with an unfriendly clerk who seemed to rather be anywhere else than there. She was the most unfriendly from all the other 3 hotels we stayed this week. We got to our room, and there was a big wet spot on the carpet. Who knows what it was, but we just stayed and isn't complain as we were tired after driving all day. The carpets in the room were FILTHY. I thought my oldest had not changed his socks that day as they were black and was about to give him a lecture, but my husband said his were the same and it was the carpet. When I showered in the morning, the water was black from my feet! I was disgusted.
The water park was crowded and very loud, to be expected on a Saturday night. The room temperature could not be regulated at all, and we all sweated through the night. We had a TravelZoo voucher, so that included pizza and arcade tokens. My oldest had fun with the games, and they all had greasy pizza for supper. I went to Target and got healthy stuff for me. I have one more voucher to use and if the room conditions are the same, I doubt we'll be back. Check out was very good, and the clerk was 100% better that the checking in clerk. I really don't know if management understands how important it is to encourage staff to treat clients with a smile and kindness. Front-desk treatment really leaves a lasting impression.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank hopeforsun
Kevin R, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We strive to offer the finest in accommodations, food and beverage, entertainment and more. We are pleased that we were able to live up to our promise in some aspects of your stay. Your comments where you feel we let you down concern us and have been brought to the attention of our department managers. I hope you choose to redeem your voucher. I would ask that you contact me personally so that we can deliver an experience similar to your last review of our property entitled “Great Stay” posted July 30th 2012. Our family looks forward to serving your family again. krobson@canadinns.com

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went a week ago with family 4 adults 2 kids.
First no trollies were available upon arrival with no line at front desk to Check in. When I asked the front desk for a trolly they said I had to go looking around the hotel for one.
Had the 2 bedroom penthouse main floor suite. Nothing penthouse about it.
We were told the room had a full size fridge and a microwave so like a kitchenette. Had a mini fridge that barely worked.

Went to give my 2 year old a bath and the bath was stained and filthy with hairs everywhere etc. so I went to the front desk and asked for the manager... She was not overly apologetic and said she would send the house keeping manager to assess the situation and would have it cleaned after he already offered to move us to a different room and then Realized she couldn't put us in another room that was similar. The housekeeping staff came (not the housekeeping manager) and couldn't speak English and proceeded to change the bedding after not knowing where the bath tub was. It took me about ten minutes to get them to understand my issue.

The tv didn't work had to wait for maintenance to come and fix it.
Cable was fuzzy once it worked.

They offered a breakfast special that was no longer available in the restaurant; the food is over priced. And the buffet wasnt avail. for most meals.
We could not connect to the Internet for more than 5 mins if we could connect at all.

I would not stay they again overpriced, and no customer service. Disappointed

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank BJwpg

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. Delivering an exceptional guest experience is the focus of all our employees. We are pleased that our staff members attempted to remedy your concerns but are disappointed that we did not do it in the best possible manner. We have dedicated ourselves toward improving our customer service and improving the additional areas you address in your review. I hope you decide to give us another opportunity to serve you. Please feel free to contact us me at krobson@canadinns.com should you choose to return.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at the CanadInn Grand Forks August 1st for one night - they offer a Thrifty Thursday rate which I see has gone up to $99 (used to be $89). The hotel is beautiful but of course it's newer than many others in Grand Forks. The rooms are nicely decorated & clean. This is our 3rd time staying here.

One strange thing I will note about the room, specifically the bathroom is that the toilet paper is kind of far reach from the toilet. This may seem like an odd thing to comment on but for anyone who has any kind of mobility issues would find this a problem - grab your toilet paper before you sit down. No bed bugs here - I wish people would stop being so ridiculous about bed bugs in hotels - if there were bed bugs in a hotel, the health department would shut them down until the issue was resolved- which is who these people should be complaining to if they have a legitimate complaint.

The waterpark is NOT included in your room rate unless you specifically choose a package that includes it. This of course adds to the cost of your hotel bill. You can use the pool & hot tub at no charge but the waterpark itself is extra. We got the reduced rate for $7 after 6pm but it can be up to $16 per day if you're there for the day - fairly pricey if you have a couple of kids.

No comp breakfast here due to the restaurant on site. That's ok though - the food is terrible here as it is in all Canad Inns. I'm not sure what the issue is for such a large chain but the food stinks, both here & north of the border. My advice is to eat elsewhere. They do have a cheap breakfast during the week.

Otherwise, check in was quick & smooth, checkout was charge our credit card as requested and my only beef with the checkout process is they have 4 luggage carts for the entire hotel which is 10 stories - not nearly enough.

The customer service is top notch here. The GM is walking around daily interacting with guests - nice touch. The front desk staff is excellent & the housekeeping staff is friendly & accommodating. We will definately return but probably on a Thursday - the rates are just too high with the addition of food & waterpark on other days.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your positive review of our property. We greatly appreciate your loyalty to our property and your positive comments. If you are not a member of our loyalty point program, please contact us so that you can begin to earn rewards across our chain. We hope to see you again soon and please let me know if I can be of service in the future. krobson@canadinns.com

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed for one night August 2nd meeting up with friends and chose this hotel. It is our second time staying at this location. A great location right on interstate and attached to the Alerus Center. We booked ahead of time on-line and check-in was smooth and trouble free. They had everything ready and waiting for our arrival, I think we were at the front desk for no more than 5 minutes.

We were in a two bedroom suite with two bathrooms with two showers. The main common area had a large living room with a sofa that could also be turned into a bed if needed. There was a nice fireplace, flat screen televisions, wireless internet, and a wet bar that had a fridge, sink, microwave, coffee pot and lots of storage and counter space.

The room was very quiet, clean and cozy. The beds and bedding were great.

We did have a problem that the lights above the wet bar did not come on, we informed the front desk and the problem was taken care of immediately.

We had a nice quiet dinner at the L'Bistro, had a great server that guided us to some very nice selections. One of our friends requested a change on their item which the kitchen accommodated with no problem. The food was great and I am going back for more some day.

We did not try out the water park, but the number of excited kids indicates that this is a hit.

If booking would suggest doing so as far in advance as you can, this is a busy hotel that gets sold out most weekends. While using the internet to check out the place is great, I would suggest calling if you would like to confirm a certain room type, location, view, and so forth.

When the opportunity arises we will be booking here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin R, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments. I am very glad you enjoyed your time at our property and hope to see you back with us again soon.