Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks
Sleep Inn & Suites(Grand Forks)
$76
Fairfield Inn Grand Forks(Grand Forks)
$71
Country Inn
$99
Hampton.com
Hotels.com
My Place Hotel-Grand Forks, ND(Grand Forks)(Great Value!)
$67
$65
$85
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbunk bedswater park is greattavern unitedhotel guestsbreakfast buffetalerus centerfootball gamelarge bathroomwater slidesmini fridgenorth dakotacoffee makersausagearcadesplasherscanadinnsgarbanzo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We've stayed at the Grand Forks Canad Inns about 4 times since they opened and we've been pretty satisfied each visit. This most recent visit has started to change my view of the hotel.

I got a pretty good deal from Travel Zoo which included a room, 4 waterpark passes and breakfast for 4 for under $100.

At that price I opted to upgrade the package to a Kids Theme Suite with the bunk beds as we've never stayed in these rooms before and I thought it would be fun for the kids. First mistake. The room we got (Under the Sea Theme) had a window that over looked the waterpark. The room felt humid and uncomfortable to me so I had to crank up the noisy A/C to try to deal with it. It helped a little, but not resolved. The bunks were also in a separate "room" but if the sliding door is closed there is no air circulation except for an exhaust fan on a switch that dumped the air into the rest of the suite. The bunk room also had a wall mounted light for each bunk user but they were too bright to be located at eye level. A smarter Designer would have selected a indirect lighting fixture. The kids also found the blankets to be very rough and opted to use the throw blankets we had in the car instead. Another issue I have with the Kids Theme Suites is I assume they are all on the same floor. What that means is a floor full of children of varying behavioral demeanors. There must have been a group/family in multiple rooms because they had their door propped open as I passed by them in the hall. This meant kids running up and down the hall, slamming doors, chasing each other well past 11pm. Another issue had is because the window looks into the waterpark you aren't getting much natural light. I never thought how important a window is in a hotel room but noticed it during this trip.

The second problem occurred in the Altos restaurant. We went down to redeem our breakfast vouchers which entitled us to eggs, potatoes, toast and ham/bacon/sausage. When we arrived we had to wait in line to be seated. I figured it was our fault for coming down later in the morning, so we waited. When we were finally seated, we could tell the Waitress was new on the Job. Having worked in the food industry myself I consider myself pretty sympathetic and understanding to Wait Staff in training so I wasn't planning on being too critical. When our Waitress started taking our order her Supervisor/Trainer interrupted to let her know that she didn't finish taking the order of a neighbouring table. Our Waitress started to bolt to the other table before I stopped her to finish taking our order. Anyway, with our breakfast ordered and beverages on the table we waited. 30 mins passed and we thought that odd considering we only ordered eggs, toast, potatoes and sausage. We overheard the patron from another table asking if they could just get their breakfast from the buffet line as his family had been waiting for 45 mins. The waitress said yes to them and then let us know we could do the same. So essentially it took 30 mins to get eggs, potatoes, toast and sausage/bacon/ham that was otherwise just sitting in the buffet. There were about 4 families in the same situation as the buffet line got pretty busy all of a sudden. The kicker is when we went to go pay, our order wasn't even in the system so if nobody said anything we would have been waiting longer that 30 mins for a breakfast that was never going to come. Like I mentioned earlier, I understand being overwhelmed as a Food Service Trainee but my problem is with the management. The Supervisor/Trainer allowed their Trainee to become overwhelmed and instead of meeting the customers need they allowed 4 families with small children to needlessly wait and become irate. They just damaged the restaurants reputation to teach a Trainee a lesson. A responsible Supervisor/Trainer would have help serve the waiting tables and then discuss the situation with the Trainee afterward. If you read my previous review of the hotel, this isn't the first time I've complained about the management at Altos.

One of the improvements I did notice during this visit was the presence of more Lifeguards at the waterpark. There were Lifeguards at the entrance of the bodyslides keeping order and telling kids when it was safe to slide. During our last visit we saw kids taking a running start down the slides and collisions at the bottom.

In summation, i'd still return if I can get a great deal but I plan never to book a Kids Theme Room and breakfast would have to be free for me to dine at Altos again.

Room Tip: Beware: Children's Theme Rooms can be humid plus you'll be on a floor filled with children.
2  Thank FrostbiteMB
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I had difficulty booking a hotel for my stay in Grand Forks last Thursday and was perplexed why until my arrival when I discovered that the adjacent (it's connected to the hotel) Alerus Center was hosting a Shiners convention (the guys with the funny hats and outfits who do outstanding charitable works) and suddenly the reason for stressing about finding accommodations was apparent. Despite a lot of arriving guests, check-in was relatively speedy. Although during my check-in a bald headed guy (name badge said sales manager) insisted on speaking with the manager about a pricing screw-up with some of the Shriners and who was accountable and who was left out of the loop. It slowed down my check-in, and obviously annoyed the female manager who was processing me and the conversation was simply inappropriate to share with the public. He was painfully unaware of his unprofessionalism (it was also apparent that he did not read her verbal and non-verbal cues). The manager did her best to find me a quiet room and it was more than adequate.

Here are the other negatives of my stay: my room had a green grape and paper on the floor upon arrival. A picture was missing from the wall (just hooks were left) and the TV was not working upon my arrival. In addition, at least one comfortable cushioned chair with a good reading light would be a good addition for the room. The lights in the room were a bit dim and inadequate.

The positives: the hotel is well laid out with several restaurants. I ate dinner at one and the food was very good and the service was better than the food. When I called to get help on the TV, the response was quick, friendly and professional and fixed the (flat screed HD LG brand) TV by reprogramming the remote. The bed was comfortable with adequate covers and a bunch of pillows. The desk was excellent. The room had a refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave which were clean and functional (another packet of coffee would have ben welcomed). The bathroom was immaculate and the towels were new and plush. The room had an independent thermostat which worked great. The TV had a wide selection of options including some recent first run movies at a reasonable price for a hotel ($9.99). I paid $99.00 for the standard room which was a great value given the demand and short supply. I would enthusiastically return to the Canad Inn.

Room Tip: South side in the winter to catch the morning sun. The South side faces the the indoor stadium so when there is a football game you may want the North side. The hotel is about a mile from the campus. Grand Forks appears bike friendly with a reported 40 miles of bike paths. Well-designed city that is a secret of the midwest.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SkiingWonder
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This great hotel has a waterpark that can be enjoyed by all ages. Restaurant has a good assortment on meals and are resonably priced. Staff were friendly and willing to offer good suggetions of things to do. Room was very spacious and clean.

Room Tip: We had rooms on different floors and on opposite sides and we were both happy with the room.
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here with a travelzoo deal that included waterpark passes and breakfast. The check in was quick and efficient, and the clerk was friendly and helpful. My older son and husband had fun in the waterpark, although it was very busy in the evening with waits for the waterside. We had a nice breakfast the next morning. Showerheads are nice and high for tall people, like us, but the water pressure was very low even very early in the morning. Our room was quiet, but humid, and very clean with enough room for the playpen and us. The tv seemed a bit small, but that was not an issue for us. It is very convenient to shopping, and we enjoy staying here.

1  Thank hopeforsun
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was nervous about staying here - had read bad reviews on Trip Advisor. I was not impressed with the hotel staff in general. The check in person was snippy. While I am glad for the hotel that they were "97% full;" without a generous discount, I do not expect this to negatively impact the service provided to me. The rooms were clean and nice. The waterpark was GREAT. The lifeguards terrific! We'd come here again, and be prepared to ignore impolite hotel staff.