“Big Place, lots to do”

Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Chicago, Illinois
“Big Place, lots to do”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

First time to the Destination Center. This place is HUGE for Grand Forks. They have an indoor waterpark (more for kids then adults, only one/two larger slides), but still fun for kids of all ages. The hotel is in the center of it all, 4 restaurants, convention center etc. My room was very clean and well laid out. Everything worked as it should. We went to 3 of the restaurants and enjoyed fare at each one. The only issue I had here was that since this place is so big, you get mixed responses from the employees. Most are very attentive and helpful and willing to please, where every now and then you get the employee with the "I could care less" attitude and seem to be more interested in texting their friends then assisting someone who is standing 2 feet away. Hopefully management will weed these people out. Other then that - overall very nice experience and would certainly consider staying here again. A few bad apples did not spoil the barrel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank PaulT60606

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Moorhead, Minnesota
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I visited the Canad Inn for business this past week for 2 nights. I found the facilities to be very nice - the room was very comfortable, nice clean bathroom, nice decor, comfortable bed, fridge/microwave in room, etc. I did not have a chance to use the pool area, but it looked very nice, I can see where kids would love it.

The only problem I had with this hotel was with the front desk staff, I found them to be very rude, unknowledgable and just generally not nice. I was not greeted with a smile at check-in although I went in with a smile and a hello. My room was not ready for check in until 430pm, although check in time was supposed to be at 3pm ~ that was fine I was in conference anyway, but the front desk people were very unapologetic and snide about the fact it wasn't ready before that. Once we got checked in (I shared a room with a co-worker) they would not give us 2 keys to our room...there were two of us coming and going at different times and I found this to be very odd. I offered to pay for another key, or whatever it would take the and gal refused. I stopped back and checked later with a different gentleman and he gave us the extra key with no issue. At checkout time another gal there was standing at the front desk very obviously on a personal phone call and ignored us while she finished it, which was about 2-3 minutes, didn't apologize or anything when she finally got off the phone and checked us out.

Overall, this is a very nice facility, the front desk staff definitely need some customer service training!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Sunseekergirl77
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Our family of 7 stayed at Canad Inn for 2 nights in Grand Forks, ND. We all absolutely loved it! Lots of fun to be had by all, and you don't need to leave the premises, which for us is a big deal with 5 kids to tow around including twin babies. The kid's themed room was fabulous with a playstation and 4 bunk beds that gave the children their own space...they deemed it "Kids Only". Nice pocket door too that kept the giggles muted away inside their fortress.The waterpark is excellent and has a wide open feel without harsh fumes which we have experienced at other smaller waterparks. The kids loved the arcade too! The restaurants were excellent. I had a wonderful Greek Salad that I could eat in the waterpark and still keep an eye on the little ones! Yay! We will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: Many style of rooms to choose from. First two floors do not have views outside. They face inside and...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Winnipeg, MB
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Stayed for a mini-vacation with the family on Feb.11-13. The kids wanted to stay at a "waterpark" hotel. We've done this excursion before when the hotel was newer almost 3 years ago.

Considering the time that has past from our first visit and the aquitic activity that needs to be dealt with the hotel is in very good condition. As a reference, we stayed at the Waterpark of America Hotel in Minnesota when it first opened and it was great! During our next visit a few years later, there was a noticeable degree of deteriation or lack of maintenance in the rooms (matted musty carpet, broken furniture, peeling funishes). At the Canad Inns the rooms, lobby and corridors were clean and well maintained. The beds and linens were clean and comfortable. Hat's off to the houskeeping staff.

Our only comments are regarding the amenities. During our first night, we went down for dinner at Altos for dinner. It was about 2 hours before closing and it appeared they only had one person tending to the dining room. The person was seating patrons, taking orders, serving and we actually saw them leave with a tray to make a room delivery. This person did a great job considering what he had to deal with. Service was a little slow but it wasn't the server's fault. That's just too much work for one person to handle. During breakfast the next day it was a similar story. Same person taking on multiple duties and not enough service staff to assist. I commend the personnel has he did a great job and advise management to staff the restaurant better (more staff). On the food quality side of things, I had a hot roast beef sandwich which was slightly on the salty side but ok while my wife had a burger that oddly had no flavor. The kids had the standards chicken fingers which was fine as well.

The focus of the trip was for the kids to play at the "waterpark". Staff there was excellent as my daughter slipped an bumped her head and the lifeguard promptly fetched some ice. The issue with the waterpark is again directed toward management. The waterpark is open to the public so anyone who pays admission is allowed in. What this means is in the winter people are wearing their outdoor shoes into the pool area. We say many instances where people just piled their winter coats, and shoes on/under a chair because they are too cheap to rent a locker (or there are none available). I recall heading into the hot tub with my daughters and they said "hey there's sand at the bottom of the hot tub". Just so you know there is no beach at this water park so the sand was coming in from outside from peoples boots.

We noticed that they were serving food in the pool area and we don't like what that could mean in regards to spills, crumbs etc.

The Lifeguards or management need to regulate the kids more. Children should not be in the hot tub unattended but yet whe we were there it looked more like a wading pool that a nice relaxation space. There were also some very excited kids using the bodyslides which are unsupervised. So dispite ocassionally watching kids cut my small children in line to use the slides, their actions were pretty dangerous as the wouldn't allow enough time before sliding resuliting in some collisions at the end of teh slide as well as seeing kids running down the first portion of the slide for more speed. Call me a worry wart but conduct like this should not be tolerated at a waterpark. While it would be awesome if parents could slap some sense into their kids it's obvious some parents don't care and allow their kids to run wild so it would be great if waterpark management could tighten monitoring and enforcement a little.

My last pet peeve would be the use of the term "waterpark" itself. There should be a rule stating you must have these features or this much space to be considered a "waterpark". Canad Inns has one major slide requiring inflatable tubes. There are 2 body sides which are located on teh playstructure with the tipping bucket. They've got a pool, a hot tub and a small lazy river. Then there is the kiddie area with a small slide, see saw and "merry go round" looking thing that resembles a jolly jumper. While this is an awesome hotel pool, I am reluctant to call it a "waterpark". The features and area seems inaduquate to give it a park designation. By comparison, the Waterpark of America has slides off of the tipping bucket playstructure but these are considered the calm slides for kids. WPOA has innertube slides, bodyslides and family raft for more thrilling sliding. They also have a surf simulator, a modest wave pool and longer lazy river. Canad Inns charges the public $16 admission and hotel guests $10. You would think that for the cost of a nights stay they would just let the guests use the waterpark for free.

In summation:
Comfortable, clean and well maintained rooms. Excellent staff. Waterpark fun for children and tweens.
Waterpark small and needs better enforement of rules. Can get uncomfortably crowded at times.
Restaurant (Altos) average food. Needs more late night and early morning staff.

Room Tip: If you wanted to go to the waterpark look at the packages offered on their website to save a few bu...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FrostbiteMB
Winnipeg
Reviewed February 13, 2012

If you get a chance to spend time at the Canad Inns in Grand Forks, you will not be dissapointed, very modern hotel, rooms are very spacious with microwave, fridge and of course a coffee maker. The hotel staff are excellent, the water park is a must for child and adult alike. You will forget that you are in Grand Forks with a stay here. The bars and restuarants in the hotel are great, the Play Makers bar is a wonderful place to unwind while watching the big game or trying your hand at BlackJack. Altos the restuarant has good food, but there buffet needs a bit of work. The United Tavern Bar is the place to go and have a bit of Britain while staying here. All in all a great place to bring the family and relax. The kids will also love the games room next to the pool area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank khartum
Reviewed February 4, 2012

My wife, two kids and I had hoped for a relaxing weekend getaway and booked a multi room suite at the Canad Inn Grand Forks, but instead we received hassles and 2 nights out of 2 were sleepless due to a very loud fan motor in the bathroom that kept us awake all night.

Maintenance verified the problem at 10pm and tried to ascertain the cause of the intermittent vibration. When it started again an hour later, I called the front desk, only to be told that "it wasn't that loud" and the "maintenance couldn't find the source of the problem". When I pointed out that maintenance had witnessed the problem, the young lady at the front desk named Tiffany said that it was out of her hands and the only one that could assist was the manager and she wouldn't be in until the morning.

The most helpful individual was Sabo, the Security Gaurd that was dispatched to the room after the 4th call at 11pm. He was apologetic and attentive, even sympathetic. Had he been able to rectify the situation, I honestly believe that he would have. Unfortunately, he wasn't the manager or empowered to help us.

Save your money, go somewhere that treats guests with respect and understanding.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Marscomplex
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Living about 2 hours away from Grand Forks, my wife and have only stayed here twice. Both times we enjoyed how cozy the lobby is and the fact that you don't even need to leave the facilities for accomodations. Check in took a bit of time though... and getting to the room, you'd have to swipe your room card before you can press your floor number.

Dining wise, there's Tavern United, a bistro on the other end, Aaltos, and Garbonzo's Pizza to choose from. There's an arcade and Splasher's waterpark to entertain everyone.

The rooms are clean. TV is ok. Views maybe obscured by the waterpark depending on the floor and side of the building you get (we were on the fifth and all we saw out the window was the waterpark. beds are ok. Pillows are another issue (too soft for me) but there's another one that should be addressed.

My wife is short at about 4'8 and when she went to take a shower, she could not reach the shower head to adjust it. I took a look at it and it was indeed placed waaaayyy too high not only for her but for kids as well, to the point that I had to adjust it for her.

Other than that, hotel is a good stay for Manitobans crossing the border for a shopping trip or for families looking to get away for a day and enjoy the waterpark. Price may be a bit steep so look for specials (we got a Thursday price of $79). We'd definitely stay again for the right price. Also keep in mind this is right beside a football arena, where the UND Bisons play so you may have to deal with crowds and parking issues during game days.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple