“Tired old DUMP”

Americas Best Value Inn Grand Forks
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Got this 'mystery hotel' on Hotwire and looked okay from the reviews.
Looks like a dump from the outside and inside is not much better. We had the suite which included a small kitchen and utensils that were unwashed and stuck to the shelf! Upon removing the wine glass it broke in half and smashed all over the floor (the other half still STUCK to the shelf). Everything was dirty or broken.
The bathroom was unclean and there were black hairs on the towels / tub (definitely not mine). There was a vending machine but strangely you could buy Cola but water was unavailable?! The location is okay and staff friendly but you could do MUCH MUCH better in Grand Forks. Pay extra and head elsewhere!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
America's Best V, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Travelerbrissy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our location and service. Reviews not only help us understand what works, they also let us know some weaknesses that we can improve on. We have replaced all glassware with plastic and completely renovated the room with new paint and carpet. I would appreciate speaking with you personally about your visit. We would like to show you that while we are an inexpensive hotel, we do offer first class service.

Cody Bachman

gfabvi@gmail.com

Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is our first stay at this hotel (and first night) and i'm regretting getting this hotel through hotwire. I did research of the possible hotels we might get and their reviews appeared ok. Maybe I got the worst room in the place but from what I see I will not be coming back. Everything in the room is very tired and worn. The cabinets in the room are so warn that the finished is rubbed off in areas. The bed boxspring has stains all on the side and the bed cover is worn. Toilet was not cleaned well and there is noise coming from the drain of the bathtub. Sounds like heavy dripping inside the pipes and it's loud. The sound comes and goes. Driving me nuts and it's only 9:22. Walls in the bathroom area need cleaning and the hook is missing from the door. Sigh. Not pleased.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chateaumau

Dear Chateaumau,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We are able to gain a lot from reviews such as yours. We strive to offer the clean and comfortable rooms for each and every one of our guest. We have taken note of the issues you pointed out. We are currently replacing all of our bedding with brand new products. We have also refreshed every room with a new paint. We would love to have another chance to have you as our guest. I invite you to contact me directly so that we may make this right. I promise you will not regret emailing me. Thank you again for your time.

Cody Bachman

gfabvi@gmail.com

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have stayed at Americas Best Value Inn quite a few times. The rooms were clean. The breakfast was ok. The staff is always friendly and will assist you with any problems or questions. There is free internet access and also a computer to use in the lobby. If one needs to print a page a small is charged. Also a fax machine is avaiable for a small charge.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hailey P, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Marie Z,
I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time out of your day to leave us your feedback! We do take pride in being the Number One budget hotel in the Grand Forks area. We strive to not only be the cleanliest but friendliest hotel at a price that wont break the bank! If you're not already apart of the 11th night free program on your next stay with us make sure to ask the Front Desk on becoming a member! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm Wishes,

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the beginning of September. Had a great time, the hotel was clean and quiet. We mentioned a light bulb was burnt out and they were there to change it within 5 minutes, even though we said it was fine to do anytime. The breakfast was good, had space for us to sit and have breakfast. We had a very relaxing getaway to Grand Forks just the 2 of us without the kids and this hotel served us perfectly. We will be staying here again on our next getaway without the children!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hailey P, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Karen E,
I'd like to start off by thanking you for taking the time out of your day leave us your positive feedback! It is always good to hear that the Front Desk is on top of everything and making sure we're leaving a good impression. It is our mission to be the cleanliest, friendliest hotel in the Greater Grand Forks Area. Have you heard about our 11th night free program yet? If not on your next stay with us make sure you ask the front desk on how to become a member. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stay at America's Best Value Inn with my daughter when she has doctor appointments in Grand Forks. I do like that we can usually get our normal room when we stay, however in the past few visits we have had issues with rooms that we have gotten that were not our normal room. I know one side of the pet building we can't stay in because it still reaks of cigarette smoke from before they were a 100% non smoking hotel. Doesn't matter how much cleaning or painting they do.... it stinks to high heaven and my daughter is allergic to cigarette smoke.

My daughter usually talks with the general manager when there are issues and she is really good at taking care of any issues we have.

I do really like the atmosphere of the hotel. I like that I am able to bring my dogs with me (don't like that the pet fee was raised). The breakfast could be better. The location is very convenient, right on 42nd.

I will say that they were very nice about a late check out on a day when I was getting my car fix. it was a hot day and I had nothing to do with my dogs. The car was supposed to be done the day before but they couldn't get the part in. the General Manager gave us a late check out so we didn't have to worry.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear MarieLBryant,
Thank you for taking to leave us your feedback! We strive in being the number one value hotel in the Grand Forks area.We are doing renovations in the old smoking building to make it just like new since we've switched over to 100% non smoking. We have been painting, replacing all beds in the rooms, the carpet just making a whole new room for our guests to stay in as if it has always been smoke free. We're glad that you and your daughter are such loyal guests with always staying with us on your visits to town. We look forward to seeing you in future stays!

Warm Regard,
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed October 3, 2013

So... I stay at this hotel quite a bit but it seems the last few times I have been there the customer service has not been that great. However, the GM is always very good at handling issues and making me feel better about my stay.

The last time I was there... I had to switch rooms twice because one room had animal hair all over it and the second room had an AC that didn't work (even on the highest level of cold... it was blowing hot). Thankfully, they were able to get me into the room that I normally stay in and the rest of the visit was good.

The only other thing I have a bit of an issue with is that it seems that when I make reservations with one certain employee (who had a giant attitude with me once) my reservation always gets lost. I aways call days before I am supposed to be there and have to make my reservation again

Room Tip: If you have a problem with your room... let the service desk know right away. They will let you cha...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear StephanieLB1984,
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to go ahead and give us your feedback. It is reviews like yours that keeps us on your toes, so that we can improve our property on a constant basis. We appreciate your loyalty with us. We've got renovations going on that I am sure will please you in the future. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip!

Warm Wishes,

Reviewed September 18, 2013

My wife and I stopped in Grand Forks to some shopping on our final day of our holidays. Shopping took a little longer than anticipated and there was a weather warning for the area. We decided to check for a hotel hoping there would be some availability as it was the September long weekend. We booked through Hotwire off the Internet on my phone. It gave us Americas Best Value Inn which we had not heard of in all our trips to Grand Forks. We drove to the Motel which is north of the main shopping area and close to the University and the Alerus Center that holds a wide arrange of events. The first thing we noticed when we walked in was the Trip Advisor certificate and the AAA award. The staff were very friendly and efficient. We had only booked it minutes earlier, but they had our reservation when we arrived.
We went to check the room before bringing in our bags. We were pleasantly surprised. The room was large and clean. The bed was comfortable. There was a microwave and refrigerator.
My wife thought we may need an extra blanket and was given two when she went to the reception. We had a good nights sleep.
The breakfast had a limited selection with a lot of carbs. They had complimentary local newspapers.
The parking lot is quite large and also has an area for RVs, buses, large trucks, etc.
We would have no problem staying here again or recommending it to others.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom7787
Hailey P, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Tom7787,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your positive feedback! We appreciate you coming on here and saying how great your stay was. I'm glad that we were able to meet all of your expectations. We know there is many hotels in town to choose from and we're certainly glad you chose this one! Make sure on your next visit you inquire about our 11th Night Free Program. Hope to see you again soon!

Best Wishes,