“A PLEASANT SURPRISE!!!”

Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“A PLEASANT SURPRISE!!!”
Reviewed July 27, 2004

My daughter and her children, ages 4 months and 2 years, and I wanted to stay at a hotel with a Kiddie Pool. I found the RoadKing Inn on the internet and it had exactly what we wanted. However, I was hesitant to stay here after reading a couple of reviews stating that the rooms were full of beetles. I since talked to 2 people that stayed at the RoadKing and they never encountered any beetles so my daughter and I decided to take our chances.
We not only did NOT see any beetles -- we did NOT see a bug of any kind. The room we stayed in was clean and big enough to put the baby's swing, playpen, toys and several water toys for the 2-year-old.

The staff was exceptional - we asked for a small refrigerator to keep the baby bottles in and immediately one was brought to our room. We had access to the microwave during the night for heating the bottles too. Everytime we met a staff member - be it the person who cleans the rooms to the manager - we were always greeted with a smile.

The make-your-own waffles for breakfast were a real treat and there was a variety of coffees available 24 hours a day.

The pool area was wonderful and the kiddie pool is a real bonus when you have such young children.

There is only one negative point that I can make ---We found that the pool floor was VERY slippery when wet and the 2-year-old was finding it very hard to walk on it without falling. However, we bought a pair of plastic sandals that she wore when she went swimming and that solved the problem.

I did notice a couple of other little ones slipping on the floor too and I would strongly suggest that the management might think about resurfacing the floor with one of the "rough" surfaces that you find around other swimming pools.

My daughter and I agreed that we would definitely go back to the RoadKing Inn in the future. We are so glad that we didn't listen to the reviews complaining of beetles. Maybe they just spelled it wrong -- maybe THE BEATLES (remember them!!???) were there!!!!!

3 Thank sharon f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed June 22, 2004

Stay often. Clean, comfortable and friendly. Great place to stay whileon the road.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2004

My husband, I and our 2 small children also stayed at the Roadking in August and we too saw many many small black beetles. We never even said anything to the staff, but it was slightly concerning. So to the guy that thinks it is just a dilusional Canadian or however he put it, I too saw them and made no attempt to get a free room, I thought that would be too "American Style". I am a strong nature loving Canadian, and it is in our Canadian spirit to tough it out.The staff is wonderful and we love the pool so I guess we can live with the beetles!!

Reviewed December 29, 2003

We have had nothing but good experiences staying here. When ever we take a business or personal trip to Grand Forks we stay at the Road King near Columbia Mall.

The pool side rooms are wonderful (quiet) because of the pool area being enclosed with glass. It allows you to watch your kids swim and not have to endure all the noise from a pool area. And the hot tubs outside the immediate, pool area are a wonderful idea. Again, allowing you to watch your kids in the pool and still enjoy visiting in the hot tubs, or by the room side tables.

We only have good things to say about the Road King near Columbia Mall.

Reviewed February 23, 2003

My Wife and I stayed at the NEW Road King in located on the South side of Grand Forks by the Columbia Mall and it was Fabulous! Jacuzzi in room was awesome and so was the pool. There are 2 Road King Inns in Grand Forks : the older one is on the North Side of town and the Newer one, which is also the Nicer one, is on the south side of town. I would definately recommend the one on the south side of town for sure. Their were no bugs at either one when we stayed there and we have stayed at both. I do know that during the flood of '97 neither one of the two places were flooded at all because both are on the west end of town and I was living in Grand Forks at the time so I'm not sure what all this BS about Beetles since the flood is all about. Sounds to me like a couple of Wacked Out Canadians were trying to get a free room again. They're always trying to pull that one when they travel south of the border since their Dollars are worth about 50 US cents.

Reviewed January 4, 2003

We came to the Road King Inn because it was in our price range. We had a room with two double beds and a television, which was great, because it was all we needed. We were watching T.V. and about to go to bed when I spotted a beetle crawling on my mother's shoulder while she was sitting on the bed. We were horrified, hating bugs. Upon further investigation, we found beetles everywhere (dead and alive)... between the two beds, between the beds and the walls (on both sides) under our small table and chairs, beside and behind the dresser, in the bathroom and even in the bathtub... virtually everywhere, all over the floors. We were disgusted. We went down to the front desk and complained to the woman working, who told us all hotels in Grand Forks had beetles because of the flood of '97 (this was in 2000.) She said they would spray the room, and so in the meantime we went out. We went to different hotels in the immediate area (Comfort Inn, Country Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn) who all said they had no such problem. When we got back to our hotel room, our key card no longer worked, so we could not get back into our room with all our belongings. We went back to the service desk where the woman who had previously served us promptly ignored us. My mother yelled at her, and she fixed our card. When we got back to the room, we realized they had just sprayed a bit of Raid in the corners. We decided to leave. As we were leaving, my mother told the same clerk we were appalled at the service and quality of the hotel, where the woman was exceedingly rude back to us. My mother raged as her boyfriend calmly talked to the woman and told her we were very disappointed. He also told her we had taken pictures (which we did) and that they could easily find themselves in the newspaper in Manitoba, because not only was it a bad experience, but we now had no place to stay. The woman looked a little scared. We ended up not being able to afford another hotel, so drove the hour to Fargo (at 12 AM) and we slept in the van at a t mail for a free room at the Road King Inn.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member