“Top-notch place to stay in Grand Forks”

Hilton Garden Inn Grand Forks
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Grand Forks every summer for the past several years. The room rates are very reasonable. The hotel is conveniently located. The rooms are spacious and clean. The pool is perfect - it's rarely busy - for small children. The staff are curteous and professional. I highly recommend the Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Grand Forks

Reviewed August 15, 2010

Modern and spacious rooms, excellent customer service, only complaint was dirt glassware in rooms.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Check-in: simple and easy.
Room: clean but not the one we reserved. At least it wasn’t a smoking room. They haven't updated the room recently. It doesn’t look bad, just that it’s the same way it was 15 years ago. They don’t have large flat screen TVs. No problem with the highway noise. They do have great desk chairs.
The bed was nice. You can adjust the hardness/softness of the bed; but, it’s something my mother would never be able to figure out how to do. The pillows were really soft and fluffy. I loved that.
View: Left the curtains closed because the view looked right over some large garbage bin. The view was better for every other guest except for the room below mine.
Lobby: like any other Hilton, it was very nice, large with many windows.
Location: very convenient, easy on/off highway access, near the campus and bike trails. The industrial park is just 3 minutes away. There are enclosed walkways built over the road and to another building. I didn’t use the walkways, but imagine them to be very valuable during the extreme winds and cold that the area encounters in winter. I could say the hotel is in the safe part of town but the whole town is known for low crime.
Restaurant: varied experience. Bruschetta and sweet potato soup were exceptional. The specialty of the day (chicken and pasta) was well prepared. These all seemed to be a good value for the money.
The walleye was a real disappointment. The walleye was lacking the normal delicious flavor and tasted watery. I would suggest that they remove it from there menu and only make what they are good at. The potatoes and green beans were refrigerator cold. They clearly forgot to warm them up. The green beans were pre-cooked and not fresh. I would go back for the specialty of the day, and appetizer, or for a sandwich; but wouldn’t order fish or steak.
Overall, I would recommend this place for business travel and even for a conference. Not my preferred hotel if I was traveling with the family.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2010

We stayed here after a wedding we attended had a dance here. We were pleased with everything, the hotels accommodations and atmosphere, until we checked into our room. The room was nicely decorated and clean. After a long day, we settled into bed. About a half hour later, our phone began to ring, thinking it was other people from the wedding party we ignored it. Then there was a knock at the door. We were settled into bed for the night, but the person continued to knock so answered the door. Turns out, they had checked two people into the same room! The other couple had just been married and we had been checked into their room! We had been so tired from the day, we didn't notice their bags in the corner. Needless to say, we were very disgusted. The night desk clerk was very rude, not even offering an apology for the mix-up. We were so disgusted we left. I felt so bad as we left the lobby and saw the bride sitting in the lobby in her gown, so devastated. I was just glad it happened how it did and we didn't walk into a couple's wedding night. However, my husband did speak with the manager the next day and they did refund our money. But we haven't stayed at a Hilton since.

Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Stayed here just one night. Room was on 3rd floor. My room was on the 3rd floor. It was very clean and comfortable. As for quiet,I didn't hear any noise from nearby rooms. But, a colleague had room next door. Called my room and when I answered said, "OMG, I could hear your phone ring thru the wall!"

As for location, this hotel is right on the edge of the aerospace campus of UND. It is connected by walkways to nearby UND buildings so you don't have to go out in the cold if your business is there. As for location, yes, it's on the edge of the city, but not that far away from other dining, shopping, the business district of Grand Forks or the nearby AFB etc if you have a car.

I never could get the wired inroom internet to connect. However, I switched over to wireless and got right on.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2010

This is only the second time I was in Grand Forks, North Dakota in the the past 6 years....NEVER EVER AGAIN! Let's start off with the "3 diamond hotel". No fan in the bathrooms, NO water pressure in the showers, my skin is still itching from the water!
Evolution beds are a joke. They hide the knob under blankets, covers, so you have to get out of bed to adjust the pressure. HUGE waste of time.

What major hotel chain builds their hotel next to an active railway track and then, via a tv channel, offers free ear plugs.....? The Hilton. Now the food. I saw this salt truck back up to the delivery entrance of the Garden Inn and I thought it was for the streets..turns out it was the daily delivery for the restaurant! I like salt but every, EVERY place I ate in GF was horrible due to the massive amounts of salt.
One bright spot was the Porpoura Coffee House http://www.porpoura.com/porpoura/ in the Columbia mall. Excellent espresso and all of the tips and 5% of sales goes to help low income cancer patients get treatment, meals, gas, etc. FABULOUS!

Sorry for the poor review but it is the truth.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Though there aren't any nearby restaurants that are within walking distance, the hotel is located in a great location. It's convenient to the highway, right next to the University campus, and a short drive to the small downtown area. It would be nice if the restaurant stayed open later for lunch, or offered room service during the day. The shuttle van to the UND hockey games is very convenient. The rooms are spacious, with a front sitting room, and back bedroom area. I would stay here again.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple