“Great meal”

JL Beers
Ranked #8 of 167 Restaurants in Grand Forks
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Award Winning Burgers with Fresh-cut Chips & Fries. 40 Beers on tap.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We showed up about an hour after the main dinner rush and it was a nice place to eat and talk. The burgers were wonderful, possibly the best bun I have had in years, and the burger had great flavor itself. The drinks were very good and with the option to try something before you buy makes it much easier to get something that you will enjoy. I can see how this place can be loud during busy times, but if you are not at peak hours it was a nice non-pushy atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for JL Beers

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Dropped fifty bucks and didn't even get a reach around. Its so loud and the waiter keeps offering to sell me water. I'd think twice about showing up after 10am.

4  Thank DrJohnFord
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The burgers are a little greasy but the price is right. They make up for it with normal priced beer but the varieties they have are very good. Smaller establishment but worth trying for adults--must be 21.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

After reading reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to go here for lunch during our last visit to GF. And it is very interesting how it is set up with a very small footprint, creating a cross feel between a happy, busy bar, and an airport restaurant. If you like quiet places to meet and meditate, this is not the place for you.

If you like beer, this is your place. Everything from light to dark, all kinds of European style microbrews, even including hand-drawn root beer. One could spend many months trying to work their way through the glorious beer menu. Though sitting at the bar, I was ready to weep for the number of times I saw the waitresses pulling on the Coors Light tap. Folks! Experiencing life means trying something OTHER than Coors Light.

Regardless, staff was great, atmosphere was raucous and fun, and it was like Christmas day for a beer lover. Food was a bit underwhelming though. The chips were good, crispy, hot and fresh, though overly salted. The burger was done right, but was notably void of flavor. When one has a Philly Cheesesteak burger, you'd expect something oniony, peppery, and full of flavor. Instead, it was bland to the point where I needed to put mustard on it. Yuck. A little seasoning on/in the patty, and a way to get more flavor in the peppers/onions would be great.

We will go back, I will try more non-Coors Light beers, and I will try different burgers. Even if this place is still a bit oversold on Tripadvisor, it is still worth stopping in.

1  Thank ScooterMcTavish
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a regular stop for us, whenever we're in Grand Forks. Although they have dozens of specialty beers on tap, I think the burgers are the real treat! They have a system for making the burgers, that makes every burger the same way. Lots of choices for toppings, with fresh buns daily. My favorite is the JL burger, which has 2 patties. You can't go wrong stopping here for lunch or whatever. The home made fries are also good, with numerous choices for spices, or toppings. Service has always been courteous and friendly, and very fast. Enjoy!