“Worse than the last stay”

AmericInn Hotel & Suites Grand Forks
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Had to go to Grand Forks for an evening, and the AmericInn provided a good value for the evening including a discount coupon from the E-Z-Guide. We were put in a double queen room for us and our girls.

Upon entry to the room, we were happy to see an improvement in the linens, thinking there had been some investment in the beds. Nope. Bouncy, old-school, lousy buggy seat spring mattress and box spring.

And despite updated linens, not much else had been updated - still working that mid 90's teal décor.

However, the room was clean, the pool area was good, the included amenities (fridge and microwave) were welcome. The breakfast was the typical hot offerings we see, with processed eggs, sausage, etc. Nothing outstanding, but nothing bad either. Breakfast area does get crowded.

Really do like the AmericInn chain, but I need a better bed than this location offers.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for AmericInn Hotel & Suites Grand Forks

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Spent the last 2 days here. Room was clean and beds comfortable. Staff were very friendly and welcoming as well as helpful. The only complaint was the tube tv in our room had a very poor quality picture- watching tv in a fringe area of analog days. This was brought to attention of staff but not rectified before we left. It was not a huge issue as we did other things. Breakfast provided was help yourself and was good and satisfying.Pool and whirlpool area was a nice refreshing touch at the end of the day.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Yes, AmericInn was a very nice stay. The room was well appointed with nice linens and a clean and comfortable bed. The breakfast was extensive with hot eggs, waffles, cereal, donuts, muffins, and more. But get there a bit early because they started the clean-up process promptly at 10am. And the military discount was a good value. One of the nicer hotels we've stayed at recently! We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I got a good price for our room, so I was pleased about that. Everything was clean and neat. Front desk staff was very pleasant and tried hard to please. We did not use the pool, or even go into the pool area, so I can not speak to that. Also, our daughter and son-in-law wanted to take us out for breakfast, so we did not eat breakfast there. We did have a glass of orange juice, which we thought was good. Some hotels do not have good orange juice! Someone mentioned the decorating being dated and no flat screen TV. Decorating was fine, and I don't care one bit what type of TV I have. I would much rather that the price stay low than have them spend a lot on those things, and then have to pass the cost on to their guests! One thing I really liked was that they provided an envelope for the tip for housekeeping, if one wishes to leave a tip. The bed was very comfy, and the linens were good. My husband mentioned that he liked the pillows. I had never been to Grand Forks before, but think the city has a nice atmosphere and friendly people.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have stayed here twice for work, and will not stay here again. I normally stay at Best Westerns, and occasionally at AmericInns, and this is the first time I have had an issue with an Americinn. I found the rooms to be average, dated but clean, and breakfast to be decent. However, I had issues with the staff on both occasions. The first time in getting a receipt, it took a week and several phone calls, to get a receipt faxed to me. It was important because I was trying to submit my expense report. The second time in dealing with an inexperienced and uninterested clerk when I had a broken tv. It is inexpensive for the area, but I think next time I will pay a little more for an upgraded experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jaco0207
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I should start out by stating I generally like staying at Americinns. The extra soundproofing in their rooms and suites, and the quality of their staff is generally very good.

And really, there was nothing remarkable about our last stay. It was a busy weekend in GF, and the king jacuzzi suite was $200 for the night, which would have been way overpriced. However, the E-Z-Guide has a 30% off anytime coupon, which made the room more reasonable.

Even at that price I expect a better than average hotel room, with a better quality mattress, upgraded linens, etc. Instead, we were treated to what I refer to as "mid-90s deluxe" with lots of mid-90s decor, and Super8 quality bed cover, linens, and pillows.

The good:
- excellent breakfast
- nice common and pool areas
- nice whirlpool in the room
- clean with friendly staff

The meh:
- room decor was average/dated, with nothing "special" about the jacuzzi suite
- bathroom was in need of some updating as well
- bed was tired but serviceable

The not so good:
- bed cover and linens were not to the standard for the room price
- only told the elevator was out of service after the booking was made
- breakfast area was way too small for the hotel size

Would I book here again? Certainly not a jacuzzi suite - the cost for what was received was not in line. I would consider a regular room, but if the decor/mattress/linens/bathroom were of a similar vintage, I would pay 0 premium over other low cost hotel offerings (I.e. Super 8).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ScooterMcTavish
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed for just one night but had no problems. This AmericInn looks just like all the others I have stayed at. Nice pool and hot tub, rooms are big and the staff is very frendly. But also like the others they have a very small area for the breakfast, get's crowded at times. There is muffins, bread, waffles, eggs, sausage, fruit, yogurt, cereal and several juices and milk. WARNING in the parking lot there is a big hole be careful at night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family