“UND College Visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Overland Park, Kansas
“UND College Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Recently, my family and I traveled to Grand Forks to visit UND (University of North Dakota). It is about 2.5 miles from the school campus. This hotel has a perfect mix of bright college colors and modern furnishings from the lobby to room, to the pool area. The room my family had was very clean and welcoming with bright colors, and comfortable beds. The layout of the bathroom(s) was quite unique, it was a split design, each with a sliding door, but the doors don't lock, so be sure to go when your pesky siblings don't know your'e there. One room had the toilet and a sink, and the other had the tub/shower and another sink. The indoor pool area was very pleasant, although it faced right into the rear parking lot and the apartment complex nearby. The heated pool was a perfect temperature, not freezing, nor nauseatingly warm. Also, the hot tub was very relaxing! I almost fell asleep in it. The breakfast though, was very limited compared to other hotels I've been to. Pretty much, it only consisted of Turkey sausage patties, waffles, eggs, juices, and a selection of pastries. I have to say, the muffins were very tasty!
I would recommend this hotel for those visiting UND and Grand Forks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brendan J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Rockford, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

This hotel is very new or new looking. Modern colors and furnishings. Entrance is a bit odd off 40th Street but lots of parking. Near Interstate exit and University of North Dakota campus. Check in was a bit odd in that the desk clerk was folding towels. Multitasking employees required?

Room Tip: Ground floor is best
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sheboygan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

The king room we had here was spacious and clean, well designed split bath with a sink in each, sliding glass doors for privacy and took up no space for the swing, making the area even larger. Decor is contempory with a swivel tv for use in sitting area or from the bed. Nicely thought out refrigerator/micro area with shelves for supplies. Small sink in here would have been nice, but then, I would have been totally spoiled. Food served in the morning was fresh, plentiful, clean and spotless areas for eating. Outside fire area was wonderful with stone wall and hearth and plenty of seats. We stayed 4 nights and I highly recommend this place. Kudos to the management and team.

Room Tip: I highly doubt there are any rooms not excellent. Pool area was clean and quiet, always plenty of to...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary L
Middle River, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Recently we had to travel to Grand Forks for an emergency late at night and after trying several other hotels that were all booked we stopped at the SpringHill and they had one room left which they gave us at a discounted price since it was 1:00 am when we checked in. The front desk staff was very kind and the room was amazing! The bathroom setup being split with the toilet in one part and the shower in the other was very nice! The size of the room was more than generous and the decor was perfect. Room was spotless and very comfortable. The only issue was our room was on the west side of the hotel and since I live in the country I found the interstate traffic a little noisy. We checked out of the hotel at 8:00 am thinking we would not need the room but by 10:30 am we found ourselves waiting for news on the medical emergency that brought us to Grand Forks and we had nowhere to go so I called SpringHill and explained our situation and asked if we could get back into our room till noon (normal checkout time) the front desk was more than kind and allowed us back into the room. At noon we still had no news and nowhere to go so I asked the front desk if we could stay a little longer and they generously offered us the room till 1:00 pm at no extra cost. I have stayed at many hotels in many different cities but the customer service in this hotel was better than any I have ever encountered. Staff was professional and kind. I will be looking for SpringHill hotels in all the cities I stay at from now on! Thanks for all your kindness SpringHill staff!!

DML

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dawn L
South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stayed here on business recently. I have been Marriott Platinum for some time and one perk is that you get a free room upgrade if available. When I checked in I was congratulated by the young lady at the front desk for being Platinum, so I was a little surprised when after politely asking if there were any free upgrades to hear only a chuckle and a succinct "No"! I am usually successful for an upgrade about half of the time and if not I usually am told that the hotel is sold out. Not a good first impression. Everything else was standard and satisfactory for this Brand. The hotel is somewhat hidden if not for GPS navigation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank cvsguy
Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

I don't know how old this hotel is, but it is relatively new. The front desk staff was fantastic. I had a day of travel and all I wanted to do was get to my room and relax. The room was clean and perfect. I think my favorite part was the shower. I'm tall and most hotels I have to duck to get water on my head. They have real showers! I really enjoy the european feel that this brand of Marriott hotels have. Great value, this is probably the best hotel in town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Douglas H
Stillwater, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

This is a newer hotel and it is very clean. The rooms use a different design and style (European?) and the net result is very attractive. The only problem is that the rooms are a little small. In addition, the breakfast could be improved. However, service was great and our room was very quiet. Plus, Grand Forks is a really neat city to visit. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family