“FILTHY AND SMELLY AND UNPROFESSIONAL”

Days Inn Columbia Mall
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Winnipeg, Canada
“FILTHY AND SMELLY AND UNPROFESSIONAL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

We had a smoking room (as requested) and when you walked in the stench was overwhelming.
I am a smoker and I could hardly breathe until the window was opened, or the air conditioner turned on.
The carpets looked like they had never been shampooed.

The bathroom was so small that you had to walk to the end of the toilet in order to be able to close the door.

The unprofessional aspect was seeing front desk staff folding sheets as guests entered the hotel.

The breakfast was only open until 9 am and was too early for guests on vacation. Most places are until 10.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Garry C
mydachsy, General Manager at Days Inn Columbia Mall, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and I will do my best to address your concerns. We are a small property with limited space and employees. Many smaller properties such as ours also fold some of the laundry behind the front desk. Also, we are visible to guests as they check in and they do not have to wait for us to notice them if we are in the laundry room.
Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about the bathrooms to make them bigger.
During the week breakfast goes until 9 a.m. if it is busy we do not close it down until the last guest has left the dinng area.
As for the smoking rooms, we do use an ozone machine to eliminate the smoke smell. However, the smoking rooms are in demand and we cannot leave ozone machines in the rooms with the guest.
Again, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.
Jean
Asst. Mgr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Just got back from Grand Forks, first time staying at the Days Inn. We checked in on Friday.

At check-in we requested a cot, when it arrived, it was lumpy and unstable, we returned it. After we dropped off our luggage, we did not return until about 11pm. As we were unpacking, there was a knock on the door. We answered the door and the front desk clerk informed us that they had received a noise complaint from our room. I was surprised, we were only talking and had the TV on at a reasonable level in the background! The clerk apologized but insisted that we keep the noise down. We turned the TV off and prepared for bed as quietly as we could.

The following night, we returned to the room around 9:30, in an effort to settle in sooner so that we would not receive another noise complaint. At 10:30, there was another knock on the door. Another noise complaint. I explained to the clerk that we were only talking and watching TV, she expressed some frustration and said "Maybe the walls are paper thin, but you need to be quiet." and she left.

After the second noise complaint, we decided to sit in the car and talk. We noticed two other cars in the parking lot were also occupied with hotel tenants.Apparently we were not the only ones who had received noise complaints.

After a half hour, we decided as a group to switch rooms. We approached the front desk and requested a change. The clerk found us a room on the second floor with unoccupied rooms on either side. Exhausted and frustrated, we moved all of our luggage to the second room.

The next morning, when we were checking out, we were informed that we were being charged for both rooms and told that they had received numerous complaints about our noise level during our stay. At no time did the night clerk mention to us that we would be charged for the second room, he handed us the room card, we didn't sign anything. I could understand the charge if we had been destructive, but when we came back to our room after it had been cleaned, we used two towels to wash up and rearranged the pillows, otherwise the room was spotless when we switched rooms.

I have been travelling to Grand Forks semi-annually for 6 years now, I've stayed in many hotels and this is the first time I've ever received a noise complaint. We always keep our rooms tidy, we tip the cleaning the staff and are always polite. We're in bed by midnight and never keep the TV loud.

The cleaning staff were great, the front desk crew seemed genuine, but unhelpful. If the walls are truly so thin, maybe some updating to the insulation is needed. We felt like chastised children every night and it severely tainted our trip. Being afraid to talk while getting ready for bed was awful and being charged for an extra room without our authorization was the final straw. We will never stay at this Days Inn or anywhere else in the world again, I would rather sleep in my car.

Room Tip: If you must book a room for anything other than sleeping, book a room without occupants on either si...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank LexDov
mydachsy, General Manager at Days Inn Columbia Mall, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
We had complaints from more than 1 room . Also, moving to another room caused the guest to use 2 rooms in 1 night so both rooms had to be cleaned.
We do appreciate the feedback and will have a talk with the front desk personnel as to the proper way to handle these situations. Changing rooms at night is not a situation we normally have and our front desk clerks were informed as to how to handle this situaton should it ever arise again.

Travelers are raving about these Grand Forks hotels

Litchfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

Well it was Xmas time up in Grand Forks and me and the wife were to meet our kids/grandchildren. It's not like we were not invited to stay the night at our kids place, we were - but we like to stay in a hotel/motel for the night because its like a vacation for us. So I had made reservations for us 2 weeks in advance. I placed a note in the system that it: be a quite place!
Well we get there at 3pm on the dot and the first thing I see is 7 teen age boys sitting at the tables eating and talking. I heard some kids running down the hall making noise and now i'm thinking to myself, Oh no a hockey tournament!
So I go up to the desk and the I said we have a reservations and gave my name...
The Gal behind the desk said; Oh yes here it is! Then she reads out loud; To Be a Quite Place!
She looks at me and smiles.. I said whats a matter don't you think you can find us a quite place. She didn't say nothing but she was thinking! She said, WELL I think I will put you in room 222. I believe it will be quite there!
So we went up and opened the door and as far as the room goes it was pretty darn good! It was clean and the beds were great to sleep on. SO I give it a thumbs up!
We left to visit the kids and came back at 10pm and we got into our room and I believe you could of heard a pin drop all through the night. IT WAS QUITE!
So the the Gal at the front desk did a great job of picking out a room for us.. NOW HERE COMES THE BUT!
So in the morning the wife decided to go for a swim. She was gone for 30 minutes and when she came back she said that the pool was sooooo cold that she couldn't walk down the steps into it any more then up to her ankles.. Now that's cold!
So she said she Cannon Balled into the pool and got the shock over with because she wanted to swim. After that she went into the hot tub and that was fine...
So if your a swimmer, it's gonna be COLD!
So in a nut shell room expectations = GREAT
and Pool expectations = COLD.
The price for that day was $79.99 plus tax. (12-17-2011)
I'll go back!
Between you and me I would of loved to seen the wife cannon ball in that pool!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Adam K
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

We used to stay at this hotel all the time the past 2 -3 years that we would come down to Grand Forks for shopping. After our most recent stay, we will never go back. We had booked a certain room that we like to stay in back in July as it is convenient for when you have to haul your purchases into the hotel with you. When we had called a week before we were coming down to book a second room for another couple that had decided to join us, we were told we couldn't have our room because there was a man living in it and "he's not going anywhere any time soon" Whatever fine.

There happened to be a hockey tournament on the weekend, and like a couple other people have said, they noise was unreal. I understand that it is not up to the hotel to parent other peoples children, but when I call the front desk well after midnight and tell him that there is kids running up and down the hallways screaming and playing while their parents are partying loudly with the doors to their rooms open and I get told by the guy working the front desk 'well they're just getting in from a hockey tournament. I'm sure they will be quiet soon' and I have to listen to this noise and phone back to the front desk well after 1am and am told by the same guy that 'there's not much they can do about it' I expect the hotel to do something about it!!! I didn't pay $90/night to listen to this crap.

The wi-fi also wasn't working so I couldn't use that option on my phone (data turned off to avoid a huge roaming bill while in the States, so I use wi-fi to stay connected) and I was told by the guy at the front desk that it 'wasn't his problem' and that I could use the computer in the business room.

Also, this hotel is not very clean and the beds are uncomfortable. I will spend the extra $20-30/ night and stay somewhere else next time when visiting Grand Forks.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank doodlebug84
mydachsy, Manager at Days Inn Columbia Mall, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. We apologize you did not get the room you requested, we try to honor those requests, however, when a guest checks into that particular room it would be unfair to ask him to pack his belongings and move to a different room. To avoid this problem in the future, we will inform any guest requesting a particular room that we can no longer guarantee the room they are requesting.

We have had a meeting with our front desk staff as to how to handle noise complaints and I do apologize your stay here was anything but quiet.

Days Inn
Management
Winnipeg, MB
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

We had reservations for a room for two nights after flying in from Las Vegas at 8:00 PM; however, when we arrived in Grand Forks and checked in at the Days Inn, they had given our room away. The front desk boy was extremely rude and smirked when he informed me that they had tried calling our home to request a credit card number and because we didn’t answer, they gave our room away. This should have been requested at the time the reservation was made and shows how incompetent the front desk person was. We were very fortunate to get a room at the Lake View Inn next door and we were so impressed with their staff and service. The Lake View is extremely clean and the coffee is excellent! Don’t waste your money on the Days Inn!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank PV
winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express, but when I saw how much their rates went up,($137.99 for one night!!!! That's ridiculous) I looked around and found the Days Inn for $59.99 a night. Very clean and comfortable with an excellent indoor pool and hot tub. Their continental breakfast was good also. The coffee was way too weak, but I have found Americans don't know how to make a good cup of coffee unless your in Hawaii. The staff were all super friendly. Excellent location to all the great shopping stops. We will stay here from now on everytime we go to Grand Forks to shop.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank check-in-chick
Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

My friend and I always stay at Days Inn on our annual September shopping trip. We just got back and we enjoyed our stay at Days inn. It is reasonably priced ($60/night with a coupon), it is clean and comfortable and it across the street from Target and very close to all the other popular stores. There is a nice pool and hot tub as well. There is a free breakfast that is included but there is very little gluten free food available. In fact, I had to bring my own food for breakfast as there wasn't even bananas available. I found that disappointing.

Room Tip: Room 115 was great, very close to pool. If shopping ask for a main floor room so you don't have...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends